Home

EA Sports MMA Video: Frank Shamrock Interview with Gameplay

This is a discussion on EA Sports MMA Video: Frank Shamrock Interview with Gameplay within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 14
EA Sports MMA Video: Frank Shamrock Interview with Gameplay

Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: EA Sports MMA: Frank Shamrock Interview (w/gameplay clips)

Looking good. Really like the way the submissions are being handled. Thanks for posting the video.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
Rookie

russwg1970's Arena

OVR: 5
Looks like a button mashing fest. Though, it's an interesting take on submissions and the toll they can take. I'll be interested in playing the demo when it's released.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3
Ordem e Progresso, which translating to English is Order and Progress.
That`s the slogan printed in Brazilian flag.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:58 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 15
This is like when EA asked Drew Brees to say Madden was simulation. Money talks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2010, 05:01 PM   #6
EA Sports MMA Animation Director

Anim8or's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: EA Sports MMA Video: Frank Shamrock Interview with Gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by russwg1970
Looks like a button mashing fest. Though, it's an interesting take on submissions and the toll they can take. I'll be interested in playing the demo when it's released.
If you mash, you lose VERY fast. The joint lock submissions are a stamina management game with button presses. You will instantly notice Arm and Leg submissions are tuned very differently so different tactics work and even though they are both button mechanics they feel totally different.

When you don't push the button your stamina comes back, but your opponents presses are moving him towards victory. When you DO hit the button depending on where your stamina currently is, you move the submission more in your direction and deplete some of your stamina. (as the battle continues over time these button presses become worth more for both fighters). So the entire meta-game (which takes serious time to master) is about managing your stamina and has NOTHING to do with being able to mash fast (turbo controllers will instantly make you lose), and deciding when to burst through and try to escape based on how much each button press is worth. Losing all your stamina results in a short penalty where your presses are worthless (if you are being submitted) or failure (if you are submitting).

There are several different ways to play and even our most advanced members of the dev team still haven't decided what the best method is.. but the way I play it is hang on and conserve my stamina and watch my opponents stamina and mine, when he gets tired, I'll try to quickly escape or finish (the gamble here is trying to make sure I can survive long enough for him to get tired, then get swing the battle all the way back and not completely deplete my stamina doing it).

Your opponents MAX stamina (which is depleted during the fight by having his grappling attempts and escapes countered or denied) can also affect the outcome because it maxes out what his potential button press is worth, so in the end the real way to submit someone is to wear them out with some ground and pound, and go for the submission when they are exhausted, you have a much easier time in the battle... There is a lot of strategy to it. Ground fighters get quite good at setting it up and then very good at the submission battles themselves...
Electronic Arts Tiburon
-------------------------------------------

Last edited by Anim8or; 09-14-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:10 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anim8or
If you mash, you lose VERY fast. The joint lock submissions are a stamina management game with button presses. You will instantly notice Arm and Leg submissions are tuned very differently so different tactics work and even though they are both button mechanics they feel totally different.

When you don't push the button your stamina comes back, but your opponents presses are moving him towards victory. When you DO hit the button depending on where your stamina currently is, you move the submission more in your direction and deplete some of your stamina. (as the battle continues over time these button presses become worth more for both fighters). So the entire meta-game (which takes serious time to master) is about managing your stamina and has NOTHING to do with being able to mash fast (turbo controllers will instantly make you lose), and deciding when to burst through and try to escape based on how much each button press is worth. Losing all your stamina results in a short penalty where your presses are worthless (if you are being submitted) or failure (if you are submitting).

There are several different ways to play and even our most advanced members of the dev team still haven't decided what the best method is.. but the way I play it is hang on and conserve my stamina and watch my opponents stamina and mine, when he gets tired, I'll try to quickly escape or finish.

Your opponents MAX stamina (which is depleted during the fight by having his grappling attempts and escapes countered or denied) can also affect the outcome because it maxes out what his potential button press is worth, so in the end the real way to submit someone is to wear them out with some ground and pound, and go for the submission when they are exhausted, you have a much easier time in the battle... There is a lot of strategy to it. Ground fighters get quite good at setting it up and then very good at the submission battles themselves...
Terrific insight! Thanks for stopping by, Anim8or.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:14 AM   #8
Pro

OVR: 14

Nice post Anim8or, I'm really excited to try it out for myself.

Quick question though, where does the grappling skill of your fighter come into equation during these submission battles? Seems to me it's all about stamina..

Last edited by 23bluesman; 09-18-2010 at 01:18 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »