Home

NBA 2K11 Playstation Move and 3D, Cool Future Tech or a Waste of Time? (IGN)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K11 Playstation Move and 3D, Cool Future Tech or a Waste of Time? (IGN) within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-17-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 10
NBA 2K11 Playstation Move and 3D, Cool Future Tech or a Waste of Time? (IGN)

IGN's Nate Hearn, recently had a 2K Sports developer walk him through using the recently released PlayStation Move for NBA 2K11. He talks about the new tech and the benefits of adding a third dimension to it.

Quote:
"While it can be played on the Xbox 360 with the usual analog stick setup, it's obvious that the more immersive experience will be on PlayStation 3, even if it isn't the most accurate. Once I got the Move controller in my hand I was told there were three parts to dunking with the new peripheral. First, hold the T trigger to pick up the ball sitting on one of the racks situated on the court. Next, perform a gesture with Move to start the dunk animation, then perform a second gesture to launch into the dunk itself. Lastly, you'll need to let go of the trigger to let go of the ball and slam it through the hoop.

In my short demo with Move, the technology felt very early. Gestures weren't reading properly, timing seemed off and occasionally things felt too sensitive as a casual and slight movement with Move would be read as a gesture to start the dunk. Things weren't aided by the fact that the game doesn't support the navigation controller (apparently Sony just never sent one to 2K) so you're stuck using the Dualshock to move your player around. Here's hoping they can iron out some of the accuracy issues before the game ships in October.

Next up was a demo of the 3D technology that will be releasing later this year. For that, we hopped into a quick game with the Lakers and Celtics. A few elements such as the menu overlays and player icons weren't yet in three dimensions, but everything else seemed to be popping off the screen just as it should. The effect wasn't all that heavy-handed and provided a nice feeling of depth to what I was seeing. When the ball passed in front of a player's hand, it actually looked like it was a foot or so in front, just like it would in real life."

Source - We Play NBA 2K11 With Move and 3D (IGN)
Platform: PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: IGN: NBA 2K11 in 3D and MOVE

As expected, the writer says the MOVE and 3D are still "early." I can't imagine how much more fine tuning can be done before final build, but you just couldn't expect too much coming from this.

PS3's version is always just a port of the 360. Not only that, but Move and 3D are both in infancy, so how could they get it right the first time around?
Old 09-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 14

So far I've only heard more bad things then good from the MOVE. I understand why Microsoft and Sony would try to get in on this thing that Nintendo is getting rich off of but when it comes down to it the original is best. They are all great in their own right though that is for certain.

Los Angeles Lakers

"I'll do whatever it takes to win games, whether it's sitting on a bench waving a towel, handing a cup of water to a teammate, or hitting the game-winning shot."---Kobe Bryant
Old 09-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDJHood93
So far I've only heard more bad things then good from the MOVE. I understand why Microsoft and Sony would try to get in on this thing that Nintendo is getting rich off of but when it comes down to it the original is best. They are all great in their own right though that is for certain.
the ps3 move will eat the wii alive.

but as far being on topic...imagine being able to actually control the moves we've seen in the demo with ur actually motions and not jus ur finger tips.

2k11 is about 2 get so ridiculous...cant wait any longer actually...(plays demo 4 the hundred thousandth time)
Old 09-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

I hate Sony with a passion. But the Move is legit. Kinect? Pain. Wii without the Motion Plus? Ugh!

We will see if there is any real added value to the Move and NBA 2K11...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2010, 10:23 PM   #6
JJT
MVP

JJT's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega
the ps3 move will eat the wii alive.

but as far being on topic...imagine being able to actually control the moves we've seen in the demo with ur actually motions and not jus ur finger tips.

2k11 is about 2 get so ridiculous...cant wait any longer actually...(plays demo 4 the hundred thousandth time)
Why not just buy a basketball and head to a court and play then?
Old 09-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #7
Almighty 2k Paper Champ

richmo's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJT
Why not just buy a basketball and head to a court and play then?
Because everyone isn't in Kobe Bryant's body.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:50 PM   #8
JJT
MVP

JJT's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSM007
Because everyone isn't in Kobe Bryant's body.
I know im far from even half good in real life lol

What i was saying is that its a game and i dont mind it being played with a controller because its a game.

If i wanted to play basketball (these motion controllers) why not just go and actually play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »