Home

EA Sports MMA Video: Frank Shamrock Interview with Gameplay

This is a discussion on EA Sports MMA Video: Frank Shamrock Interview with Gameplay within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2010, 05:25 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: EA Sports MMA Video: Frank Shamrock Interview with Gameplay

Anim8or,
fighters slide frequently to get in position to connect with a punch, which leads me to believe that a fighters reach isn't that important in this game.

So is reach important?
Was EA MMA designed to be more of an arcade or sim game?
Old 09-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #10
EA Sports MMA Animation Director

Anim8or's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23bluesman
Nice post Anim8or, I'm really excited to try it out for myself.

Quick question though, where does the grappling skill of your fighter come into equation during these submission battles? Seems to me it's all about stamina..
Yes attributes definitely factor in to how good you have to be at the submission game. The way we do this is adjust how much each press is worth or the size of your choke window on the stick and how much more each find is worth at full stamina (you have multiple submission skills that play into this, your specific skill (joint/choke) and your overall grapple skill as well as your stamina regeneration attribute, defending submissions is stamina regen, grapple defense, and your skill at that submission type). When you build your career fighter to be a grappler it's important to level up all of these if you want plan to spend a lot of time on the ground.
Electronic Arts Tiburon
-------------------------------------------
Old 09-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #11
Pro

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anim8or
Yes attributes definitely factor in to how good you have to be at the submission game. The way we do this is adjust how much each press is worth or the size of your choke window on the stick and how much more each find is worth at full stamina (you have multiple submission skills that play into this, your specific skill (joint/choke) and your overall grapple skill as well as your stamina regeneration attribute, defending submissions is stamina regen, grapple defense, and your skill at that submission type). When you build your career fighter to be a grappler it's important to level up all of these if you want plan to spend a lot of time on the ground.
Nice def more complicated and deep than I initially thought! Thanks for the info, can't wait for this game!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #12

Anim8or's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbox
Anim8or,
fighters slide frequently to get in position to connect with a punch, which leads me to believe that a fighters reach isn't that important in this game.

So is reach important?
Was EA MMA designed to be more of an arcade or sim game?
Reach is very important, we may step in to strike, but how far is dramatically varied based on each strike and the fighter and connecting is still going to be based on your reach attribute and skill per strike and the distance you were at Vs. the ideal distance for each strike.

We are attempting to make the closest simulation of the sport that we possibly can. Visually in a lot of these videos we don't see the game at 60fps and it looks faster and more twitchy at the reduced frame rates of the compressed for the web videos. Responsiveness is important to feeling like you are in complete control of the fighter though, so while we focus on responsiveness so we don't rob you of executing what you want to execute we have no "arcade" gimmicks, no rock paper scissor mini-game, not one dice roll in the entire game. It's about doing the right thing at the right time (the right strike, right angle of movement, right counter, right defense, momentum, ring position, seeing openings and taking advantage of them.. it's the closest thing to the chess game of real fighting I have experienced since actually fighting, and it's less painful ..). Even our submission battles aren't "mini-games" they are an attempt to actually represent the stamina management and energy bursts in joint locks, or the twisting and trying to fight for leverage in chokes. We really tried to take what we know from fighting (our creative director, gameplay manager, gameplay designer, animation director, lead animator, physics programmer and technical director for gameplay all have trained and/or fought, and to us it's very important to translate the sport into gameplay than to come up with gimmicks and metagames).
Electronic Arts Tiburon
Old 09-18-2010, 01:16 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2

I was too vague, I didn't mean arcade in the sense of mini-games or anything.
I love that a physics engine is being used to simulate the sport. It's what I was hoping for since the original Rampage/Liddell Undisputed trailer. The game certainly looks better than Undisputed does now.

What I meant by arcade vs sim was in the twitch control typical of Tibouron games. I'm just not a fan of hyper-realism. The step/slide in to punch is automatic correct? I prefer Undisputed's handling of the step-in where it's a specific button press and not automatic, so you can choose whether or not you want to close the distance.
The question I have is, does the game sacrifice realism for responsiveness/control?

EDIT: Actually on second thought doesn't automatically stepping-in to strike take away from control and realism? i.e. if my fighter is a tall rangy fighter with little KO power, my gameplan would amount to working from the outside with quick strikes just finding my range and scoring points. If my fighter auto-steps then he's put himself into his opponents range. I thought Fight Night did a good job with punching and they didn't use an auto step-in. Control is being removed from the player's hands if you automatically make moves for them, similar to what madden did in terms of user-catching with player's no longer needing to press a button to catch. Thoughts?

Also,
  • Have you played the competitions game and what do you think of it?
  • How comparable are stats to that of a real MMA bout?(strike connect% etc.)
  • Why don't refs stop the bout after a KO or submission, limited resources?
  • If the CPU fighter is beat on points for the first 2 rounds, does the A.I. come out more aggressive looking for the KO or submission in the final round?

Last edited by Sandbox; 09-19-2010 at 04:34 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:18 PM   #14

Anim8or's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbox
I was too vague, I didn't mean arcade in the sense of mini-games or anything.
I love that a physics engine is being used to simulate the sport. It's what I was hoping for since the original Rampage/Liddell Undisputed trailer. The game certainly looks better than Undisputed does now.

What I meant by arcade vs sim was in the twitch control typical of Tibouron games. I'm just not a fan of hyper-realism. The step/slide in to punch is automatic correct? I prefer Undisputed's handling of the step-in where it's a specific button press and not automatic, so you can choose whether or not you want to close the distance.
The question I have is, does the game sacrifice realism for responsiveness/control?

EDIT: Actually on second thought doesn't automatically stepping-in to strike take away from control and realism? i.e. if my fighter is a tall rangy fighter with little KO power, my gameplan would amount to working from the outside with quick strikes just finding my range and scoring points. If my fighter auto-steps then he's put himself into his opponents range. I thought Fight Night did a good job with punching and they didn't use an auto step-in. Control is being removed from the player's hands if you automatically make moves for them, similar to what madden did in terms of user-catching with player's no longer needing to press a button to catch. Thoughts?

Also,
  • Have you played the competitions game and what do you think of it?
  • How comparable are stats to that of a real MMA bout?(strike connect% etc.)
  • Why don't refs stop the bout after a KO or submission, limited resources?
  • If the CPU fighter is beat on points for the first 2 rounds, does the A.I. come out more aggressive looking for the KO or submission in the final round?
As a former fighter, it never occurs to me not to step in or back up to make contact with a strike in real life (it's sort of second nature). I know my reach and range, so I just do it naturally. We discussed this a ton on the game team (I talk about it in my power of the punch blog at length) we really unanimously felt it was more realistic to do the "heat seeking". We want it to be about throwing the right punch, especially since we introduce steerable "circling" strikes. Your intent is to close the distance, and if you don't want to, you can throw a fake strike.

My goal is responsiveness first, visuals a close second. The games I have directed animation on have this signature (like NBA Street Homecourt), I feel the way the game plays is paramount. However, I have written entire articles about how this doesn't have to be a balancing act if you make the right tools for the animators, and designing those tools have been a huge part of what my entire career at EA has been about. We have some incredible advances on MMA for keeping the game looking smooth and more realistic but Jason Barnes and I have always wanted it to feel like a fighting game but look like a Sim.

we have all played the competitor quite a bit (we would be nuts to ignore or discount it). I kept TRYING to love it. Some of the guys on our team like it though. I was just playing ours for more than a year when their first one came out, and to me we already had something more fun, especially on the ground, but even in stand-up ours just felt way more responsive and consistent and to me feels more like actually fighting.

Real MMA fights last from 10 seconds to 20 minutes, so I would say stats are very hard to "average" out. What I love about our game, is people who haven't played much end up knocking each-other out and veterans end up having really long fights when they know their fighters strengths. The orignial Bushido Blade was like this. If you stand there and don't defend yourself, or are overly aggressive and don't respect your opponent you are gonna get wrecked fast. I think I said this before, but Victor and I have these long but exciting fights with me as Cung Le and Him as Jacare.

Spot on with the ref, this was our first outing, having a ref at all was a must, but we didn't want to overly invest in the ref when we had gameplay features. With that though, he does actually step in and stop fights, we just didn't want him in the way of the camera in replays and such.
Electronic Arts Tiburon
Old 09-19-2010, 05:07 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anim8or
I think I said this before, but Victor and I have these long but exciting fights with me as Cung Le and Him as Jacare.
How about you post one of these fights up. I want to see a video of two guys that know what they are doing on the sticks and the chess match that can come from it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2010, 05:36 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
How about you post one of these fights up. I want to see a video of two guys that know what they are doing on the sticks and the chess match that can come from it.
I second that. Would love to see this, and I'm sure many in the community would as well. And thanks again, Simon, the insight into the game's essence is much appreciated.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »