Home

EA Sports MMA Video: Frank Shamrock Interview with Gameplay

This is a discussion on EA Sports MMA Video: Frank Shamrock Interview with Gameplay within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: EA Sports MMA Video: Frank Shamrock Interview with Gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anim8or

We have some incredible advances on MMA for keeping the game looking smooth and more realistic but Jason Barnes and I have always wanted it to feel like a fighting game but look like a Sim.

so I would say stats are very hard to "average" out.
Are you saying you want EA MMA to play like a streetfighter/Mortal Kombat type game but look realistic?
The step-in just looks awkward and as I said previously I haven't seen this done in any other game including Fight Night. Perhaps when I play the game I'll think differently about it, it's not like the game can be changed that drastically at this point.

I disagree somewhat on stats being hard to average out, for example Anderson Silva has connected on average, on 71 percent of his strikes over his UFC career.
Though let me phrase the question a bit differently:
Would you say that the rate of KO's, submissions, and fights that go the distance are portrayed realistically for a sim player v. CPU? b/c Undisputed was terrible at this, most fights ended with a knockout in the first round even though they had an accelerated clock on.

More questions:
  1. Are there sliders in the game, if not why? and can they be introduced into the game via patch the same way fight night did?
  2. What difficulty gives you a fair challenge?
  3. Do you think playing online will be "cheesy"? I hope lessons were learned from Undisputed on this front.
  4. How long has the game been in development?
Old 09-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #18
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbox
Are you saying you want EA MMA to play like a streetfighter/Mortal Kombat type game but look realistic?
The step-in just looks awkward and as I said previously I haven't seen this done in any other game including Fight Night. Perhaps when I play the game I'll think differently about it, it's not like the game can be changed that drastically at this point.

I disagree somewhat on stats being hard to average out, for example Anderson Silva has connected on average, on 71 percent of his strikes over his UFC career.
Though let me phrase the question a bit differently:
Would you say that the rate of KO's, submissions, and fights that go the distance are portrayed realistically for a sim player v. CPU? b/c Undisputed was terrible at this, most fights ended with a knockout in the first round even though they had an accelerated clock on.

More questions:
  1. Are there sliders in the game, if not why? and can they be introduced into the game via patch the same way fight night did?
  2. What difficulty gives you a fair challenge?
  3. Do you think playing online will be "cheesy"? I hope lessons were learned from Undisputed on this front.
  4. How long has the game been in development?
most players dont feint and set up strikes the way anderson does. they punch and punch, i dont care how sim you think you are, you attempt way more strikes than someone like anderson does in a round.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #19
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
most players dont feint and set up strikes the way anderson does. they punch and punch, i dont care how sim you think you are, you attempt way more strikes than someone like anderson does in a round.
I think you missed the point, I was simply trying to express the fact that stats are calculable in MMA, and over the course of a career don't vary too much. I just plugged in the most recognizable name off the top of my head.

Another example this time from fighters in the game, in Jacare's last fight he landed 34% of his strikes and Kennedy landed 36%.

And I think it's fair to ask that the statistics in EA MMA be close to sim, as people pursue realistic stats in other sports games as well.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:42 PM   #20
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

i was stating the reason for so many 1st round ko's in undisputed, feints were hard to pull off in the game and required more work than actually punching. i really think that a gamers natuaral style to go for the finish is gonna lead to more finishes. strikers are looking to block the takedown and get their hits in, in a video game, they arent concerned with faking to set up a strike which leads to them throwing bombs and getting counter and either KO' or be KO'd. even when you play a sim style, odds are the guy you are playing or the cpu will be hyper aggressive once you decide to be passive, and you either get overwhelmed and lose, or they play into your trap and you counter the hell out of them. again you may think you play a sim style, but you probably throw more than the average fighter in a round, and naturally there will be more opening than in a real fight, when you arent actually the one getting hit, thats what happens. some of it may be the game, but alot of it is gamers nature
Old 09-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #21
Rookie

I think the reason for Undisputed being a knockout fest is much simpler than that. They AI was hyper-aggressive much more so than undisputed 09. It didn't matter if you were playing Machida or Rampage they all came out swinging.

Although I do understand your point that no game is going to be identical to reality, too many nuances. But I thought that with slider adjustments Fight Night was a decent sim, in stats and gameplay.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2010, 01:40 PM   #22
EA Sports MMA Animation Director

Anim8or's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbox
I think you missed the point, I was simply trying to express the fact that stats are calculable in MMA, and over the course of a career don't vary too much. I just plugged in the most recognizable name off the top of my head.

Another example this time from fighters in the game, in Jacare's last fight he landed 34% of his strikes and Kennedy landed 36%.

And I think it's fair to ask that the statistics in EA MMA be close to sim, as people pursue realistic stats in other sports games as well.
We made a fighting simulatOR not a fighting simulatION.. If 2 people PLAY like pro fighters would, it becomes a simulation. What I mean by this is that we give YOU control and then let the USER be responsible for everything your fighter does. Then we give you realistic results when you do it... This is a game for people who want to feel like they are in a fight (rather than people who just want to watch a fight).

If you put down the controller and the other guy doesn't, you are getting knocked out or submitted in a couple seconds (just like falling asleep at the wheel of a driving simulator would result in crashing). Statistically speaking professional drivers don't drive on grass and crash cars into walls, but a good driving simulator lets you do it anyway and gives you realistic results (like a busted front fender and a broken windshield).

if you and the other fighter, fight LIKE that pro athlete would fight, then your stats would reflect accurately. You become the brain for the professional fighter who has physical skills and attributes you can choose to use (or not use) to your advantage... If you fight like a guy who has no idea what he is doing (for example grab Cung Le and immediately go for a Takedown against Jacare) you will lose quickly to a guy doing the right thing (e.g. Jacare throwing a guillotine takedown counter on the way down)

Every takedown you don't somehow defend is going to end up with you on your back (if you put the controller down, every single takedown the other guy tries, is going to be successful, that's what no dice rolls mean), every in-range punch you don't move out of the way of or block or parry is going to connect. The "simulator" rationality for this is VERY simple: Professional fighters don't miss a stationary heavy bag.. Real fighters don't find it difficult to take down a stationary grappling dummy... and if you stand still and don't actively defend yourself, we TREAT you like you just unplugged your fighters brain... We don't play the game for you, you have to play it (and we don't let random dice rolls play the game for you either). So if you don't act like the brain (if you fall asleep at the wheel), then your opponent is going to be successful at whatever he wants to do to you, his speed and degree of success may vary based on the fighter he selected, but even a wrestler can punch a stationary heavy bag without missing it.

This is a VERY cerebral sport. YOUR BRAIN (as the gamer) is what is going to determine your stats at the end of the fight. The result is a game that you are in control of, it is not frustrating even when you lose, YOU lost, because YOU did something you could have done differently, YOU went for a big move and got caught, and the result was losing the fight (just like real life).
Electronic Arts Tiburon
-------------------------------------------
Old 09-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anim8or
We made a fighting simulatOR not a fighting simulatION.. If 2 people PLAY like pro fighters would, it becomes a simulation. What I mean by this is that we give YOU control and then let the USER be responsible for everything your fighter does. Then we give you realistic results when you do it... This is a game for people who want to feel like they are in a fight (rather than people who just want to watch a fight).

If you put down the controller and the other guy doesn't, you are getting knocked out or submitted in a couple seconds (just like falling asleep at the wheel of a driving simulator would result in crashing). Statistically speaking professional drivers don't drive on grass and crash cars into walls, but a good driving simulator lets you do it anyway and gives you realistic results (like a busted front fender and a broken windshield).

if you and the other fighter, fight LIKE that pro athlete would fight, then your stats would reflect accurately. You become the brain for the professional fighter who has physical skills and attributes you can choose to use (or not use) to your advantage... If you fight like a guy who has no idea what he is doing (for example grab Cung Le and immediately go for a Takedown against Jacare) you will lose quickly to a guy doing the right thing (e.g. Jacare throwing a guillotine takedown counter on the way down)

Every takedown you don't somehow defend is going to end up with you on your back (if you put the controller down, every single takedown the other guy tries, is going to be successful, that's what no dice rolls mean), every in-range punch you don't move out of the way of or block or parry is going to connect. The "simulator" rationality for this is VERY simple: Professional fighters don't miss a stationary heavy bag.. Real fighters don't find it difficult to take down a stationary grappling dummy... and if you stand still and don't actively defend yourself, we TREAT you like you just unplugged your fighters brain... We don't play the game for you, you have to play it (and we don't let random dice rolls play the game for you either). So if you don't act like the brain (if you fall asleep at the wheel), then your opponent is going to be successful at whatever he wants to do to you, his speed and degree of success may vary based on the fighter he selected, but even a wrestler can punch a stationary heavy bag without missing it.

This is a VERY cerebral sport. YOUR BRAIN (as the gamer) is what is going to determine your stats at the end of the fight. The result is a game that you are in control of, it is not frustrating even when you lose, YOU lost, because YOU did something you could have done differently, YOU went for a big move and got caught, and the result was losing the fight (just like real life).
Anim8or let me ask you this.

Every EA sports game has its level of "cheese" that can be abused in some sort of way by kids looking to find a edge in anyway possible. Will we suffer from playing realistically vs a punch spammer or some other form of "not sim" play style?

Also another good question mentioned by another forum member. Can you engage a submission at any moment similar to Undisputed(clicking in R3)?? If so, is there a negative for attempting subs over and over.

Last edited by Phobia; 09-23-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Oh and Anim8or. Check out our leagues here on OS. Would love to see you come over and throw some hands with us down here on OS.

Check out our old leagues we ran here on OS will give ya a idea.
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...c-xbox360.html

Would love to hook with some of the devs.
http://www.operationsports.com/vBull...post2041614099

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »