Home

EA Sports MMA Video: Jacare vs. Miller (Creative Director Vs. Lead Tester)

This is a discussion on EA Sports MMA Video: Jacare vs. Miller (Creative Director Vs. Lead Tester) within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
EA Sports MMA Animation Director

Anim8or's Arena

OVR: 9
EA Sports MMA Video: Jacare vs. Miller (Creative Director Vs. Lead Tester)

Jason Barnes our creative director, and Mark Taylor our amazing gameplay testing lead wanted to show you guys what two very skilled fighters look like playing two very skilled fighters..

Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Electronic Arts Tiburon
-------------------------------------------
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63
Re: Jacare Vs. Miller (Creative Director Vs. Lead Tester)

THANKS MAN!!!

Watching Now!!
Old 09-23-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Wow, that was pretty awesome. I'd love to see more of the devs playing with commentary over it, helps get a feel for things.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anim8or
Jason Barnes our creative director, and Mark Taylor our amazing gameplay testing lead wanted to show you guys what two very skilled fighters look like playing two very skilled fighters..
Thanks for the video, Simon. I appreciate you guys taking the time to have the fight for us, and also provide voice over with insight into the minds of the players.

The game looks like a lot of fun, and while it isn't a hardcore sim, it certainly seems like the MMA game we where all hoping UFC Undisputed 2010 was going to be.

My only real gripe is how fast the fighters move/slide. Is there a reason you and your team decided to have the fighters footwork at middleweight be so fast?

With that said, looks like I might have to put Super Street Fighter 4 down for the first time in a while come this Tuesday.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Awesome video !

1. Leg kicks seem to really matter in this game. I seen quite a few stumbles from people being caught with a leg kick.

2. Throwing knees from half guard is just awesome. No longer do I have to get to side control to throw knees, I can do it from half guard as well, totally awesome !

3. Catching people with a well time body shot causes instant stamina drop, which is awesome.

4. Being able to ride back mount for as long as you want or until somebody kick you off with no force stand up is AWESOME.

5. Long submission battle is awesome !

6. Mayhem taunts was so funny.

7. Being able to parry shots from back mount and in guard is awesome.

8. I see stamina plays a big factor. Spend too much of it in the 1st round, you are screwed for the rest of the fight, which is realistic and awesome.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

FANTASTIC VIDEO!!!!

This is what we were all after. Seeing a video with two guys that knew what they were doing. With the commentary over it just helps visualize what would be going through our own minds in planning and trying to execute.

GMSS said it all perfect. Everything about the video I thoroughly enjoyed. It is not overly realistic but looks fantastic and most of all looks a blast to play.

Demo can't get here fast enough!!!!
Old 09-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
EA Sports MMA Animation Director

Anim8or's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossfan8480
Thanks for the video, Simon. I appreciate you guys taking the time to have the fight for us, and also provide voice over with insight into the minds of the players.

The game looks like a lot of fun, and while it isn't a hardcore sim, it certainly seems like the MMA game we where all hoping UFC Undisputed 2010 was going to be.

My only real gripe is how fast the fighters move/slide. Is there a reason you and your team decided to have the fighters footwork at middleweight be so fast?

With that said, looks like I might have to put Super Street Fighter 4 down for the first time in a while come this Tuesday.
We really just tuned it until it FELT right. The action of the lighter weight classes is very fast paced because it's how we think it should feel, it was important to not feel stuck in the pocket if you want to retreat (the reason for a ring or cage is because retreating in open space in REALITY, is pretty easy, striking in sport fighting is about cornering your opponent against the ropes or cage). The ability to disengage is important in the flow of a realistic fight. I promise you the foot sliding looks worse in these little low rez videos than it does at 60fps in HD. It bothers me in the videos too, but I really don't notice it when playing the game. You guys can judge for yourselves in a few days when the demo comes out (remember to share it to unlock classic Randy in the final games), but I can say I really don't think you will find the movement as unrealistic as you think it is right now from watching videos. Once people pick up the controls they "get it".

I said it in another thread and I think it bars repetition here because it's a good point (at least I think it is). The game IS a hard core simulator in my opinion, it's just not a hard core simulation. What I mean by that (simulatOR vs. simulatION), is that it's like a flight simulator or a driving simulator. Professional drivers don't drive on the grass or crash into walls, and professional pilots don't fly planes into the ground... but good simulators will let a user do that. This is a true simulation of the professional sport when both players fight like professional fighters, but it can also be a simulation of a naive street fight between skilled athletes when both fighters don't know what to do.

What I love about this game, is that players can absolutely dominate (better than any other fighting game I have played). I am no slouch at this game, I can pretty much KO anyone I want other than a few select guys on the game team, but Mark Taylor is a guy who can finish me off at will in this game and the only time I win is when he is toying with me and I catch him. If a new gamer pics up the game and learns the controls, there is about a one in a million chance that he beats Mark (I would say zero, but anyone can get crazy lucky)... Barnes is the same, watching the guy play against even talented players is often funny, because he will toy with them, taunt them, and then finish them at will.
Electronic Arts Tiburon
-------------------------------------------
Old 09-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #8
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

Concern.
It seems the person on bottom doesn't lose any stamina from defending passing attempts and the person attempting it loses a lot if it's blocked?

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »