Home

THQ and Zuffa, LLC Extend Exclusive UFC Videogame License Through 2018

This is a discussion on THQ and Zuffa, LLC Extend Exclusive UFC Videogame License Through 2018 within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-19-2010, 07:56 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
THQ and Zuffa, LLC Extend Exclusive UFC Videogame License Through 2018

THQ and Zuffa, LLC Extend Ultimate Fighting Championship(R) Videogame License Agreement Through 2018

AGOURA HILLS, Calif., Oct 19, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) - THQ Inc. (NASDAQ: THQI) today announced that it has extended its exclusive, worldwide agreement with Zuffa, LLC to publish videogames based on the Ultimate Fighting Championship(R) (UFC(R)) brand through 2018.

"We're very excited to extend our relationship with Zuffa and the Ultimate Fighting Championship," said Danny Bilson, Executive Vice President, Core Games, THQ. "Working closely together with Dana White and the incredible team at UFC, we plan to continue to deliver outstanding interactive UFC experiences to gamers around the world in all new ways, including social, mobile and brand extensions."

"THQ has delivered the quality demanded by UFC and its fans with the first two UndisputedTM games and we are about to broaden the UFC brand experience among gaming fans through social and mobile apps," said Dana White, UFC President. "We are impressed by the passion that THQ brings to making great games and we look forward to working together to create even greater gaming experiences for our fans in the future."

Under the terms of the agreement, THQ has obtained the rights to create videogames for all current and next-generation consoles, PC and handheld platforms, in addition to certain social media and wireless rights, including iPhone and iPad. Rights also include online, downloadable and multi-player capabilities in connection with the various gaming systems.
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2010, 08:12 AM   #2
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: THQ and Zuffa, LLC Extend Exclusive UFC Videogame License Through 2018

Why does the weaker develper/publisher always get these exclusives?
The really strange part is that ea is actually the 1 making the stronger game but being squeezed by thq. But after 2k5, and MVP disappearing due to exclusives, it would be a shame if mma also gets lost in this shuffle.

Last edited by ManiacMatt1782; 10-19-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:26 AM   #3
Rookie

SgtDillznick's Arena

OVR: 3

Hahahaha, what a bunch of BS. It's a good business move, though. That's easy money in Zuffa's pocket. Bad for us MMA fans, though. Here's to hoping we can make some pretty good CAFs in EA MMA. I'll know when I pick it up today! So psyched!

2018, huh? I will be shocked if THQ is still in business by the end of 2012.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

This happened for two reasons: 1. Dana doesnt forgive that easy. He still pissed about what EA said about MMA years ago and he wasnt about to give them the license. 2. Even though UFC 10 was a worse game and sold less than UFC 09, the game still sold well for a sports game.

Also, while EA MMA is a much better game, it has zero buzz and I doubt it will sell that well. THQ has a much better chance of being around in 2018 than EA's MMA game does w/o the UFC license.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
This happened for two reasons: 1. Dana doesnt forgive that easy. He still pissed about what EA said about MMA years ago and he wasnt about to give them the license. 2. Even though UFC 10 was a worse game and sold less than UFC 09, the game still sold well for a sports game.

Also, while EA MMA is a much better game, it has zero buzz and I doubt it will sell that well. THQ has a much better chance of being around in 2018 than EA's MMA game does w/o the UFC license.
I agree man, my post was more of a venting rhetorical question.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28

And people didnt believe me when I said Dana White hates EA more than he likes money.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb24
And people didnt believe me when I said Dana White hates EA more than he likes money.
LOL...Exactly.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Messed up man.......The only way Strikeforce can survive another 8 years is if they start their own want to be a fighter reality show and strike a deal with a basic cable network.

Being on Showtime isn't going to cut it since a lot of people don't even have Showtime. Where as damn near everybody who has cable has Spike. So I really hope Strikeforce has a good farm system.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »