Home

John Daly's ProStroke Golf Review

This is a discussion on John Daly's ProStroke Golf Review within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-22-2010, 01:01 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
John Daly's ProStroke Golf Review

I have been off and on with golf games throughout my video gaming career. I started off primarily playing the Tiger Woods series and eventually branched off to others when I got bored.

Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds is the best golf game out there right now in my opinion, and I still find myself playing it over Tiger Woods whenever I feel like hitting the links.

That being said, this year we have John Daly’s ProStroke Golf for the PS3, the series’ first installment since ProStroke Golf: World Tour 2007.This game will not wow you with tons of features and big-name golfers like the Tiger Woods series, but it still holds some advantages over EA because of its solid foundation of gameplay and innovation.

The game definitely seems like it was designed for the PlayStation Move, which I do not have. However, it still does play pretty well without it.

Read More - John Daly's ProStroke Golf Review

Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2010, 02:36 AM   #2
All Star

rockchisler's Arena

OVR: 40
Is this for both ps3 and xbox?
Old 10-22-2010, 02:50 AM   #3
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: John Daly's ProStroke Golf Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchisler
Is this for both ps3 and xbox?
Yes, but the 360 version doesn't come out until November 11th, I think.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:01 AM   #4
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

I'd like to see the review updated with a Move, should one become available to the reviewer. From all I've read, this game doesn't have a leg to stand on without the Move, which once you finally get a shot setup, is supposedly pretty slick.

It's also too bad that the reviewer couldn't get an online game experience under his belt. This game reportedly uses UTour Golf's "virtual instant replay" method for displaying your opponents shots, which I think worked brilliantly. You're hitting your shot while your opponent is hitting their's. After the shot, you're taken to an instant replay of your opponent hitting their shot from a "non shot camera perspective", while they're watching yours. You can fast forward and skip to the finish as desired.

I find it much more atmospheric than Tiger Woods simultaneous ball arc presentation, yet it spares you from having too much dead-time on your hands watching your opponent set up their shot.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:11 AM   #5
All Star

rockchisler's Arena

OVR: 40
ok, I liked World tour 2007, still have it for my original Xbox..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Re: John Daly's ProStroke Golf Review

I have serious doubts that the XBox 360 version will speak to the problems being identified with the PS3 version. I still have it as the only game in my Gamefly queue, so I'll at least give it a try. What I'm really surprised to read is that Gusta Games apparently couldn't find ways to dress this title up a bit more and offer a career mode that has flow and means something!?

If you liked ProStroke World Tour 2007 on the XBox, then I guess you have a chance at liking this. The only way I see it having a chance for me is if the 360 version catches on enough to where you'll be able to find a match in online multiplayer. Gusto Games virtual instant replay system is so good (well, if it's as good in this game as it was in UTtour Golf on the PC) that it might at least make the game serviceable for a while.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 13
Is this game like the MS Links on the old XBox? I really liked that game and wish that it had been updated for the new consoles.

BigBlue
Old 10-23-2010, 10:43 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue
Is this game like the MS Links on the old XBox? I really liked that game and wish that it had been updated for the new consoles.

BigBlue
I actually still have Links 2004 because it is backward compatible. I agree, Links was the best sports game Microsoft developed in-house (although NFL Fever was improving every year).

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »