Home

EA Sports MMA Review

This is a discussion on EA Sports MMA Review within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-29-2010, 08:57 PM   #9
GO PACK GO

PlatooN's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: EA Sports MMA Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniverson1973
my point exactly
thats why the online fighter-share feature is so freaking awesome
i have been playing with 'created' Brock Lesnar, Cain Velaquez, Royce Gracie, Ortiz, Liddell, and on and on
so im very happy, just need to improve on a 2-17 record....lol

**good review - i give it a 9/10, and would be 10 if cpu vs. cpu was available**

i always roll with liddell on LHW. he is prob the best lookin w/most accurate stats on fighter share
Old 10-29-2010, 10:00 PM   #10
Rookie

eagletal88's Arena

OVR: 1
Great review!

Great game!

Hmm... I think I need to download some user created fighters... I just wish they had a tournament mode for offline
Old 10-30-2010, 12:28 AM   #11
Rookie

sportskid84's Arena

OVR: 8
Will pick this up over svr11

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2010, 04:43 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 1
'Liddell is best looking' . . . Made me laugh but I know what you mean looks just like him and the fact that all the commentary names are in there, sneaky sneaky. Everyones machida is the same and way too bulky I find but there is some great work. They need to go full 'pro evo soccer' style and add a league creation with customisable logos to add to career, then we could simply create ufc.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:37 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 11
Is this game reallly better than UFC or easier, there's a difference. Also, are you guys giving a 6 game an 8 because its different than a game you have gotten used to? An eight is a really great game. Is MMA a really great game? long hours of play, no cheesy computer a.i., is it as fun alone as it is online? How's online lag? How's the online opponents? do they just button mash? are you forced to adapt to a different way you play the cpu as opposed to when you play a human? Just asking, cuz I'm interested. A better control scheme than THQ? Really?
Old 10-30-2010, 10:00 AM   #14
MVP

stlstudios189's Arena

OVR: 41
control scheme can make a game or break a game. UFC is good but, takes a long time to master it. Jump in and compete is not a bad aproach. I will get this game soon.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:10 AM   #15
GO RAYS!!!

daniverson1973's Arena

OVR: 18
you should be interested if you like ufc10, i like ufc10, but mma does laps around it
the only thing better is the presentation and commentary in my opinion
but NO its not easier than MMA, in fact MMA is harder, especially online
the fights, online and offline are much more technical and realistic, and harder
the fighting is very unique to each fighter
UFC becomes very repetitve after a while, although still a good game, EA-MMA is breath of fresh air because its much more realistic and challenging and everything else i stated
i been playin it everyday since ive had it, and i DIDNT do that with UFC after TWO days
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2010, 07:02 PM   #16
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: EA Sports MMA Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokez4DAyz
Is this game reallly better than UFC or easier, there's a difference. Also, are you guys giving a 6 game an 8 because its different than a game you have gotten used to? An eight is a really great game. Is MMA a really great game? long hours of play, no cheesy computer a.i., is it as fun alone as it is online? How's online lag? How's the online opponents? do they just button mash? are you forced to adapt to a different way you play the cpu as opposed to when you play a human? Just asking, cuz I'm interested. A better control scheme than THQ? Really?

It's definitely better, but I don't know what makes it easier. A good sports game should be realistically challenging so IMO it's a knock against EA MMA to say it's easier than the UFC. To me the UFC version is much more pick up and play, it's easy to get lucky KO's, just spam the stick for Take downs and defense, slap on subs whenever and with whoever, etc. Anything that's arcade is going to be easy to play. EA MMA actually requires a bit more skill, both strategically and stick wise. That's the main thing that separates the two games, UFC 2010 was far too basic and thus not fun to play.

Online opponents is hit or miss. I've had some great battles online, just awesome MMA matches that went down just about how I would picture the fight going in real life. Managing range, fighting to your strengths, avoiding your weaknesses, proper timing, and looking for good counter opportunities. Then you run into guys who throw all of that out the window and playing against them is more annoying than the worse Madden cheeser that you can dream of.

Basically when you have guys that won't abuse the irrelevant stamina system and the fact that anyone can throw out punches at rapid succession then the game plays very sim and is a lot of fun. The matches where you're dealing with guys who throw litterally 3-500 strikes in 3 rounds that's when the game feels completely cheese and arcade. That goes for TSC and classic, the latter just being even worse than the other for button mashing.

So, there are times where I love the game and it feels like a 9/10, then there are times where I feel the game needs a lot of work.

I'd say 95% of my matches online were lag free. Sometimes it does take awhile to find an opponent though.

Yes, the control scheme is better, but harder to learn. Also, should point out that the judging system is completely broken.

With all that said I'm still glad I purchased the game and with the proper patch it will have phenomenal longevity. If they don't address the button mashing and potential strike output, then it'll be a completely different story so we'll see what happens.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »