Home

Roy Halladay is the MLB 2K11 coverboy: Is There a Meaning?

This is a discussion on Roy Halladay is the MLB 2K11 coverboy: Is There a Meaning? within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-15-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Roy Halladay is the MLB 2K11 coverboy: Is There a Meaning?

Baseball fans are no doubt trying to figure out if Roy Halladay being on the cover of MLB 2K11 means anything -- anything at all in regards to this year's game.

While EA oftentimes goes with a thematic coverboy of some kind (remember Ray Lewis and the year of the defense in Madden 2005?), 2K hasn't totally gone with the thematic cover boy route -- in fact it's pretty rare for them to do just that.

So is there any hidden message in 2K Sports selection of Halladay as the coverman?

Perhaps 2K is just honoring what was the year in which the pitcher saw a huge resurgence back to prominence. For the last 20 years plus, we've had a game dominated by the fascination with the long ball. Things changed somewhat in 2010, and I think if anything 2K might be going that route of following the fans and their newfound fascination with pitchers.

It's good marketing after all.

However, the release contained no hints and with 2K already having a recently overhauled pitching system, I doubt they overhaul it again. So look for the coverman to be more symbolic rather than being a hint of things to come this year from MLB 2K11.
Platform: Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Roy Halladay is the MLB 2K11 coverboy: Is There a Meaning?

I would not read too much into it. Considering that Lincecum was on the cover of last years as well.

How many times can you overhaul a system? Just stick with one and refine it.

So I agree, I do not expect an overhaul. I think it was just this year is the year of the pitcher, and they obviously picked the most popular one in the media.

It would be a theme(pattern) if they threw Nolan Ryan on there or Cy Young (ala Jordan on NBA).
Old 11-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 4

I hope they don't touch the pitching. I loved the pitching in MLB 2K10 with the analog stick. Keep the controls the way they are.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 8

I wish they went back to 2k8s style of pitching. Ya it was harder but once you got the hang of it was definitely the best way to pitch imo and you had to get the timing down with each pitcher depending on their wind up. It definitely changed things up when i was using different pitchers. I played with the redsox and I loved using becket because he was really good and it was easy to pitch with him and hit sweet spots but I hated pitching with dice-k because his windup was wayyyyyy too long. Reminds me a lot nba 2ks free throw system and how each playes shot and timing is different.

Last edited by johnnyg713; 11-16-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:53 AM   #5
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Pitching would have been so much better if they had a slider to adjust for accuracy. I love the mechanics of the analog stick but it just got too easy to hit your spots making the pitching very unrealistic for me. Just add an accuracy slider and it would be infinitely better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #6
MVP

BlackBetty15's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Pitching would have been so much better if they had a slider to adjust for accuracy. I love the mechanics of the analog stick but it just got too easy to hit your spots making the pitching very unrealistic for me. Just add an accuracy slider and it would be infinitely better.
Honestly..this AND the fact that breaking balls need a bit more bite to them. THe show does a good job with this. The curveballs actually make your knees buckle. I love that aspect where facing a mid 90's fastball, then I get stroked for a nasty uncle charlie. The show does this pretty good and I hope 2K can nab that aspect of pitching. Also one bad thing that is screwing up the gameplay and sim stats is that there are waaaay to many ratings categories for players. I think there are 3 or 4 pages of ratings? Tendency ratings should be done away with as it conflicts with the actual pitch ratings. For batters contact/power/vision are the basics while pitchers should be stamina/pitch types(speed, break, accuracy)/agression.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:10 AM   #7
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Sorry, I disagree, BlackBetty. The more tendencies, the more players play like themselves. That's something that needs to stay or the game just becomes too generic.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 11-27-2010, 01:22 PM   #8
MVP

RyanLaFalce's Arena

OVR: 0
If this game is like MLB 2k7, I will deffinetly buy it. 2k8-2k10 have been disasters. I hope this game will be like NBA 2k11. Just in baseball form.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »