Home

Sports Games of the Decade: Other Sports Game of the Decade

This is a discussion on Sports Games of the Decade: Other Sports Game of the Decade within the All Other Sports forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-26-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Sports Games of the Decade: Other Sports Game of the Decade

Gold:Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2

Many people forgot that Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 was indeed released after 1999. Debuting on the original Playstation in the year 2000 (cue Conan O'Brien), TH2 was near perfection. With its marvelous control scheme, addictive multiplayer and various game modes, Tony Hawk 2 was a sports gaming masterpiece. It's not often that a sports title is mentioned in the same breath as GoldenEye and Zelda: Ocarina of Time, but in TH2's case it was well deserved. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 is hands down the greatest alternative sports game ever created.

Silver: Virtua Tennis

By definition, Dreamcast owners were hardcore sports fanatics. With that said, if you owned a Dreamcast and did not own Virtua Tennis, you should be ashamed of yourself. It didn't matter that the game's most recognizable licensed player was Tommy Haas, or that tennis was not exactly the most popular sport on Earth. Why? Because the game was a blast to play. It was so much fun that my entire freshman year of college was spent having doubles tournaments against my roommates and eventually our entire dorm. When a game has the power to turn 30-plus 18-year-old kids living in a dorm for football and baseball players into rabid tennis fans, you know you have something special. Virtua Tennis still finds its way into my Dreamcast at least once every few months. It is the greatest tennis game ever.

Readers' Choice: WWF No Mercy

In the wide open other games category, WWF No Mercy ended up taking the crown from all other contenders. However, the category was close as No Mercy managed 13 percent of the vote while Fight Night Round 4 was on its heels at 12 percent of the vote. Interestingly enough the readers didn't show as much love towards Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 or Virtua Tennis, as the former was down on the list and Virtua Tennis barely garnered any reader support.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
>=O Blasphemy ! Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 should be GOLD!!!! WAAAAYYYYY Better than 2 and i had them all!
Old 11-26-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyBlackWorm
>=O Blasphemy ! Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 should be GOLD!!!! WAAAAYYYYY Better than 2 and i had them all!
I concur but No Mercy was my vote.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:37 PM   #4
MVP

sniperhare's Arena

OVR: 10
And I would vote for skate. as the winner of best alternative game. The control scheme and feel is miles ahead of anything the TH series ever did.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:50 PM   #5
Greatest "Show" on Earth!

Yankees_CT's Arena

OVR: 15
Boo! What! I thought No Mercy would have had this one in the bag. That game still gets play out of me. I did like Virtua Tennis as well, but not as much as those blocky, lovable rassler's!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2010, 11:56 PM   #6
Hard Times.

Bellsprout's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Sports Games of the Decade: Other Sports Game of the Decade

Wrestling games should've had their own award and not been lumped in with Other Sports.
A lot of you guys seem pretty cool, but you have wieners.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:40 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 0
NFL 2k5 no brainer.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:09 AM   #8
Banned

osubeavs721's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Sports Games of the Decade: Other Sports Game of the Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeSumCake
NFL 2k5 no brainer.
um NFL 2k5 is a football game, not an alternative sports game...

Im glad the OS staff recognized THPS2, Such an amazing game. With out this game skate would have never been made. THPS1 was pretty good but 2 just improved on everything and made it one of the most addictive games ever

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports »