Home

Sports Games of the Decade: Baseball Game of the Decade

This is a discussion on Sports Games of the Decade: Baseball Game of the Decade within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-24-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 29
Makes sense for sure, Nothing is perfect but these two were very close!
Old 11-25-2010, 09:37 AM   #10
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0
Vin13:

I could not disagree more about MVP 2005. Graphics were good not great, but game play was superb. Best control scheme for fielding and baserunning of any console baseball game ever. The Show copied a ton of things from MVP 2005. Deep immersive owner/franchise mode. Fully playable minor league teams, just a superb title.

MLB The Show 2009 is the king but MVP 2005 paved the way.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:47 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 29
Re: Sports Games of the Decade: Baseball Game of the Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
Vin13:

I could not disagree more about MVP 2005. Graphics were good not great, but game play was superb. Best control scheme for fielding and baserunning of any console baseball game ever. The Show copied a ton of things from MVP 2005. Deep immersive owner/franchise mode. Fully playable minor league teams, just a superb title.

MLB The Show 2009 is the king but MVP 2005 paved the way.

Funny how he says things were arcadic when the show took mvps meter pitching and easily easily!! had better hitting no denying that one.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2010, 11:37 PM   #12
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Definitely the right choices.

Nostalgia is a hell of a thing. And I was a huge MVP nut, but MLB 09' far surpassed it. And just as some have feelings, far surpassed probably every sports game.

They definitely set the bar that others are now starting to achieve with "the little things".

Last edited by EnigmaNemesis; 11-25-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 6
The only reason I believe that The Show won out over MVP is the fact that this forum is mostly on Current Gen consoles. While I enjoyed The Show (up until my PS3 YLOD) the fact that there are active modding communities dedicated to MVP is not a coincidence, and goes beyond the fact that EA stopped making this game. While MVP doesn't have all the bells and whistles of The Show '09, it definitely plays a more solid game of baseball and is generally just a deeper game. Now, before you look at this post sideways really look at the two games. In MVP you control every squad of your organization MLB down to single A. Now true enough in the Show, you can hire and fire your Manger and you have the Rule 5 draft; but this really pales in comparison to what MVP offers. You can argue a call in MVP, this is huge and a critical aspect of baseball. You can move in the batter's box, and hitting in general is just better. I could go on; but I'll just say this while The Show is unquestionably the BEST sports game of this console generation, it is not the best baseball game of the decade MVP is.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #14
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kado456
The only reason I believe that The Show won out over MVP is the fact that this forum is mostly on Current Gen consoles. While I enjoyed The Show (up until my PS3 YLOD) the fact that there are active modding communities dedicated to MVP is not a coincidence, and goes beyond the fact that EA stopped making this game. While MVP doesn't have all the bells and whistles of The Show '09, it definitely plays a more solid game of baseball and is generally just a deeper game. Now, before you look at this post sideways really look at the two games. In MVP you control every squad of your organization MLB down to single A. Now true enough in the Show, you can hire and fire your Manger and you have the Rule 5 draft; but this really pales in comparison to what MVP offers. You can argue a call in MVP, this is huge and a critical aspect of baseball. You can move in the batter's box, and hitting in general is just better. I could go on; but I'll just say this while The Show is unquestionably the BEST sports game of this console generation, it is not the best baseball game of the decade MVP is.

You make a great case. I still love MVP 2005. Played that game more than any other baseball game ever. It does have aspects of it that are just flat out better as I stated before. The area that I love most is fielding and base running. It is the best. Hitting is also really good I agree. The full control of your minor league system is awesome. It is a complete package. But where the show did it for me is the simulation aspect and the hitter/pitcher dual. That aspect of the game for me is unmatched and MVP does not beat it IMO. Hitting is far more of a challenge in The Show. I was a sick hitter on MVP with tough sliders, higher difficulty levels etc. The AI was not as sharp and the hitting was more arcade than sim. MVP pushed the limits of the PS2 no question. Games play and feel more real on The Show.

Now there are things about the Show I don't like and the 2 things that bug me the most are what MVP did the best. Fielding and base running. Because of the clunky controls in that area I have set base running and fielding to auto so I can let the ratings decide those aspects (and the animations just look amazing playing that way) and I focus on pitching and hitting. And it is needed as I am exhausted after 9 innings of The Show.

Both are amazing titles.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 11-27-2010, 08:39 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 28
SCEA has done an outstanding job translating one of the most difficult sports to the virtual world. I played baseball for 20+ years, including college, and what makes baseball so tough to emulate is the stats. Most baseball games have had trouble providing realistic stats in human played games, especially hitting. The Show, although not perfect, is pretty damn close.

MVP was an outstanding series as well that was improving every year. If EA gets an opportunity to make MLB games again, we may have one of the best contested races in sports games year in and year out....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eski33
SCEA has done an outstanding job translating one of the most difficult sports to the virtual world. I played baseball for 20+ years, including college, and what makes baseball so tough to emulate is the stats. Most baseball games have had trouble providing realistic stats in human played games, especially hitting. The Show, although not perfect, is pretty damn close.

MVP was an outstanding series as well that was improving every year. If EA gets an opportunity to make MLB games again, we may have one of the best contested races in sports games year in and year out....
i remember picking up mvp 05 on a whim, and i remember loving every minute of it. great graphics, and exellent controls, there was really nothing to dislike. im an xbox guy so i cant play the show, so i really dont know if its the best, but from my experience mvp would be hard to match

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »