Home

Gran Turismo 5 Review

This is a discussion on Gran Turismo 5 Review within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-30-2010, 10:23 PM   #9
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
So I read the review and I get the impression that the game is pretty good, but hit-and-miss. Yet the number score given is an 8.5, with a description of "excellent". Which one is it?
Old 11-30-2010, 11:25 PM   #10
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Gran Turismo 5 Review

Thanks for the review. Was well written and a good read!
Old 12-01-2010, 12:15 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunN1st
Man, I'm torn! I want it to have it in my collection but I don't want it to sit there collecting dust. Thanks for the honest POV, Bob.

I really enjoyed GT PSP but primarily because I could fire it up anywhere without having to hook up a wheel or tie up a TV at the house. I grinded it out and collected a ton of cars just for GT 5.

Update: Literally just 5 mins. after reading your review, I checked to see if Gamestop had a used copy and they did! I've picked it up and will be online testing with you tonight. After our Darlington race on NR2003, of course! My wife is going to shoot me for using the TV downstairs!
When a new game gets released I like to see if it ends up on the used shelf at Gamestop within the first few weeks. That way I can try the game out for 7 days without getting burned, and I know any game that gets traded too soon after release is probably not worth the 65 bucks I'm going to have to shell out.

That being said, I did pick up the game at Costco tonight. I went there looking for Black Ops but they were sold out. I haven't had a chance to really get into the game yet but I wasn't impressed. Maybe after all the hype I was just letdown. I don't know. I wish I would have picked it up used. The in game music is really, really bad. Robert wasn't kidding there. I can't say much at this point but I'm not so sure I should have paid $55 for it. It will get buried under Madden, NBA 2K11 and The Show. Unless you are a huge car nut, I would say rent this one.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-01-2010, 12:25 AM   #12
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ck3d50xf4n
Unless you are a huge car nut, I would say rent this one.
That is how this series has always been. A car enthusiasts game. Nothing has changed. The only thing that has changed is gaming has become more mainstream, and more gamers are wanting to try out games they never really did in the past, ones that are into arcade and more casual racers take the plunge, and are in way over their head than they though they would be. It is definitely a more hardcore type game.

As for the in game music, there is a ton of jazz like tracks that are there for the comforting almost zen like mystique of enjoying the cars and everything about the cars.

You can also use custom soundtracks and in game music if people want their metal, rock, hip/hop, what have you, so that area is moot.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:38 AM   #13
MVP

ps3veron's Arena

OVR: 11
The most accurate review I've read. Great job!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:54 AM   #14
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

Great review. This is a very important point you made that everyone needs to know:

"They have packed about as much content onto this disc as possible and given users access to over a 1,000 different cars, including the VW bus (ARGHH), and over 26 different tracks with 71 different configurations. This is almost too much to try and take in, and what it means is that users need to spend time with this title in order to truly appreciate it."

For me this game started off very slow but the more I played it , the better it got, now I'm addicted.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 7
Thanks for the review, Robert. Now I'll buy the game knowing there will be all the usual gaps. At least I'll be ready to forgive the bad while looking for the good!

Music has always been dreadful on GT games, equally the presentation of trophies and the like.

But what ho. You buy GT for the cars, for the win (you just groan when you get the prize). I always loved GT for allowing me to get an underpowered, underperforming car then seeing how far I could go before I abolsutely could not win... Sounds like that's still got that same magic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #16
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy748

But what ho. You buy GT for the cars, for the win (you just groan when you get the prize). I always loved GT for allowing me to get an underpowered, underperforming car then seeing how far I could go before I abolsutely could not win... Sounds like that's still got that same magic.
Exactly, that was one of the special keys about this series. And it is still there!

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »