Home

Take-Two Interactive Suggests MLB Exclusivity May End When 2012 Deal Expires

This is a discussion on Take-Two Interactive Suggests MLB Exclusivity May End When 2012 Deal Expires within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 09:33 AM   #25
All Star

OVR: 35
Re: Take-Two Interactive Suggests MLB Exclusivity May End When 2012 Deal Expires

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrotull
This game is the sole reason I bought a PS3. They have been putting out an inferior product to MLB: The SHow for years now. Take Two should back out, MLB: The Show is now 200 laps ahead of the MLB 2K series. I actually should thank them, because I found a more complete game in MLB: The Show
What are 360 owners supposed to do? I'm not buying a PS3 just for a baseball game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2010, 09:46 AM   #26
MVP

OVR: 32
I think it's a great prospect for all involved. More comp for MLB the Show and great news for 360 owners who could again have a chance at MVP baseball coming back. I see it as a win-win..... also, what IF - and a big what IF - 2K took that exclusive license cash and carried it over to the NCAA folks in order to start up the Choops franchise again? Just a thought
Old 12-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #27
MVP

OVR: 13
Great news! I, like many others here, despise "exclusive" licensing deals. Purely breeding grounds for mediocrity.

I also disagree with the posts above, saying non-licensed games can sell as well as licensed games. They just can't. The casual fan, or casual sports gamer, is going to buy the licensed product to play with (as?) players they know. Personally, since I play franchise modes and soon have a league full of fictitious players, I couldn't care less; but, I recognize that I am not in the majority.

At the same time, I do not believe Backbreaker's disappointing sales figures were just because there was no licensing agreement (though that certainly put it at a disadvantage). To me, the game was a tremendous disappointment. They have some great ideas (so there is hope for BB2), but for an offline franchise guy, BB made a real quick trip to my shelf.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:20 AM   #28
Pro

rooney8's Arena

OVR: 16
TTWO share price is up 2% on this news.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: Take-Two Interactive Suggests MLB Exclusivity May End When 2012 Deal Expires

To the poster talking about the money sports it making is wrong. Because baseball isn't on tv like football and basketball, doesn't mean it not doing good. Baseball just had their highest revenues ever and I think it outdid any other sport. That's likely to never change. It's the only sports that has stayed true to it roots for as long as it been played. Football, for example, is making new rule changes every game. If better baseball games were made on multiple platforms, it would out sell most other games.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big...urn=mlb-224508
Old 12-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 8

Is anyone else actually a little saddened by this news? 2K10 was no where near as good as the other game but it was still very entertaining and light years ahead in Broadcast Presentation (not visuals and audio) then the other game. I had high hopes that 2k11 would improve on the sturdy foundations that 2k10 laid down and fear that now maybe they'll just phone it in if they think they won't be making any more. This seems like a strange time to make the announcement too, kinda like, well fans, you probably won't want to buy our next game as we've pretty much given up all hope on the series.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #31
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollienyy
Is anyone else actually a little saddened by this news? 2K10 was no where near as good as the other game but it was still very entertaining and light years ahead in Broadcast Presentation (not visuals and audio) then the other game. I had high hopes that 2k11 would improve on the sturdy foundations that 2k10 laid down and fear that now maybe they'll just phone it in if they think they won't be making any more. This seems like a strange time to make the announcement too, kinda like, well fans, you probably won't want to buy our next game as we've pretty much given up all hope on the series.
.... Where exactly did 2K state they would stop making baseball games?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2010, 01:32 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
It's embarrassing how ignorant that is. Yes, The Show is awesome, but no, 2K should NOT back out. Competition creates better products. How do some of you not understand that?
I personally don't believe that applies to this situation because MLB 2K hasn't been any competition for MLB The Show since 08. MLB The Show is competing with itself anymore.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »