Home

Sports Games of the Decade: Football Game of the Decade

This is a discussion on Sports Games of the Decade: Football Game of the Decade within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-03-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Sports Games of the Decade: Football Game of the Decade

Gold: ESPN NFL 2K5

Releasing at only $20, ESPN NFL 2K5 will likely go down as the greatest sports gaming bargain of all time. Online players rejoiced over 32-team leagues -- complete with trades, injuries and free agency -- that hit both the PS2 and Xbox. Week-by-week player development and coach-specific team tendencies highlighted a deep offline Franchise mode. Chris Berman's halftime highlights and weekly wrap-up shows added the feel of a real-life Primetime telecast to the game as well. Like the NES classic Tecmo Super Bowl, ESPN NFL 2K5's fans still edit yearly roster updates, keeping the game relevant. Time passes on, but ESPN NFL 2K5 does not.

Silver: NCAA Football 2004

For its time, NCAA Football 2004 was a feature-packed game. 36 I-AA teams (still missing from today's NCAA games) complemented the 100-plus division I-A programs. Fans of Division II and Division III teams could build those schools with the create-a-school feature and use them in Dynasty mode. Sports Illustrated magazine covers and new pregame introductions added to the game's pageantry. But if there is one thing for which NCAA 2004 is remembered, it's the debut of online play for the Playstation 2. EA's shinier, PS3 football games -- arguably -- still cannot match the fun factor of the legendary 2004 edition.

Readers Choice: NFL 2K5

Because really? Who expected anything else? Not only did NFL 2K get nearly 90% of the votes, it do so while laughing at every other football game offering the past decade. This was the most one sided category for either the staff or the readers, so anyone thinking NFL 2K5's star might fade with time has been greatly mistaken.
Platform: PS2 / Xbox
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #2
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Sports Games of the Decade: Football Game of the Decade

So both were for past-gen systems.

Hmm.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Old 12-03-2010, 12:36 PM   #3
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30
2k5 forever
Old 12-03-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
I'm glad NCAA 2004 got some recognition. I voted for that game, but knew that 2K5 would win.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21
I just got 2k5 about a year ago and I can see why it would win. It is still a great game now. It's just harder to get into something when you missed it the first time around and now its 5 or 6 years latter. Madden 04 to 06 are really good games too. I have been playing a franchise with 06 for ps2 and it makes me sick how great the franchise mode is compared to any next gen version. Oh what could have been.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Sports Games of the Decade: Football Game of the Decade

awesome. long live these 2 great games!!
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 12-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 11
that game had everything....even the "slouch" was on the cover......lol but the game was far from a "slouch"... it was a 1st day purchase for me and lucky for me I had the PS2 HDD so I seen all the half time highlights... awesome gameplay, extras, and the franchise was great.... no other football game have come close to this game still and the graphics were not that bad....if they can update this game to HD even with 2004/5 rosters I would still play this game.... matter of fact if I can find it 2day I'm gonna get it... NFL 2K11 or 12 or 13....Please!!!
Old 12-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #8
Banned

The Teacher's Arena

OVR: 1
I really miss 2K5. Need to get it for nostalgia sake.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »