Home

OS Roundtable: Should EA Be Worried About a Potential NFL Lockout?

This is a discussion on OS Roundtable: Should EA Be Worried About a Potential NFL Lockout? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
OS Roundtable: Should EA Be Worried About a Potential NFL Lockout?

Should EA be worried about any potential NFL lockout?

Chris Sanner: I think the short-term interests of the Madden brand would be relatively unaffected by any potential lockout. You are hearing a lot on both sides about whether there will even be a lockout, so it's a full wait and see on that issue altogether. However, if a lockout occurs, I'd think Madden sales would slip -- probably modestly -- but Madden can make up for much of the potential slip in the short term by putting out a great product to a NFL-hungry audience.

The real problem lies with the long-term interests of the Madden franchise. What sport has not taken a hit from a lockout on the popularity front? It's very possible that the NFL could be set back quite a bit, especially if the 2011 season never happens. That will have a very tangible effect on Madden's sales long term if the NFL brand cools significantly. At that point, EA might have to ask if the NFL license is worth the exclusive cost they are paying for it.

Robert Kollars: I don't think that EA should worry too much. Even if there is a lockout, the NFL and Madden fanbase will still be there. It may even cause fans of the real NFL to want to grab a copy of Madden even more. If you can't watch the NFL on TV, at least you can try to replicate it on a console.

And while what I am about to propose simply will not happen, especially after the Elite fiasco, if the NFL is locked out, I would love to see Madden go without a release next year. I can only imagine the improvements the developers could make to this game if they had a full two-year developmental cycle.

Read More - OS Roundtable: Should EA Be Worried About a Potential NFL Lockout?
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30
this would affect me if 2k still made and NFL game...
Old 12-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 11
I see this as a huge opportunity for a game like BB2. They have a solid foundation to build upon as it is. If they do indeed release a BB2, since there wouldn't be any NFL games, that would open up the door for more people to create their own teams and leagues and give this game a chance IMO.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
MVP

RJTurneR's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: OS Roundtable: Should EA Be Worried About a Potential NFL Lockout?

Backbreaker isn't the solution though. Very short term.. maybe. But Europhia engine is so rag doll it makes everything look pretty goofy. It's a good game that has done a good job. But I'd still pick Madden.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJTurneR
Backbreaker isn't the solution though. Very short term.. maybe. But Europhia engine is so rag doll it makes everything look pretty goofy. It's a good game that has done a good job. But I'd still pick Madden.
Each to their own my friend...I can barely even play Madden anymore it is so stale to me...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2010, 02:56 PM   #6
MVP

TreFacTor's Arena

OVR: 24

Ea still has the right to make an NFL game even if there isn't an NFL season, they have the license until FEB 2013. I don't think they have even given it a second thought. Business as usual.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #7
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh
Each to their own my friend...I can barely even play Madden anymore it is so stale to me...
You're right.....to each his own. I have ZERO interest in Backbreaker. No License, no thanks.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #8
MVP

If theres no football season, people would still buy Madden 12 to get their fix of football.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »