Home

When John Madden Speaks, Game Designers Listen w/ Video

This is a discussion on When John Madden Speaks, Game Designers Listen w/ Video within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-10-2010, 12:23 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
When John Madden Speaks, Game Designers Listen w/ Video

John Madden offers his insights on Madden NFL's future. Check out the 3 things listed. If you were John Madden, what 3 things would you recommend?

Quote:
"When EA approached Madden in 1986 about a computer game, he expected the result to be a teaching program. He insisted on having 11 players per team on screen. "I didn't want to be a part of it unless it was going to be real, you know, real football, where people would really get something out of it," he says. "That was really our mission statement and really how we have gone forward."

He's indirectly taught generations of fans, NFL players and coaches about the game. "Every player plays it," Moore says. "There is a crop of coaches, the Sean Paytons of the world, who will say, 'Yeah, I learned to love football through Madden.' "

The game has been profitable for Madden, too. EA would not comment on his compensation, but Pachter estimates that EA pays Madden $2 million to $2.5 million annually, nowhere near his estimated $9.5 million a year Sunday Night Football package but much more than his pay as an NFL coach.

As time runs out on the meeting, game designers note some ideas they will explore as they try to transform Madden's insights into game features:
  • Better integration of screen plays.
  • Replays that more clearly show how the defense reacted in the previous play.
  • An option that would let players feel more like Manning by calling two consecutive plays in the huddle or at the line of scrimmage.
"If there's three or four nuggets and gems that are integrated into next year's game that come out of (the meeting), then John is paying for himself 10 times over," Moore says."

Source - Spend a day with the team crafting 'Madden NFL' (USA Today)
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2010, 12:42 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: When John Madden Speaks, Game Designers Listen w/ Video

Looking forward to Madden 12 now that I saw John Madden working with the team.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:50 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

I can see with his involement increasing, that the game is heading for more realism
Old 12-10-2010, 12:54 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

off subject, but he has one of the oldest flip phones i've seen in a while lol. On subject, im glad he is giving great input, i cant wait for 12 to come out.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:56 AM   #5
Rookie

SOBAY310's Arena

I agree with you guys. I didn't get Madden this year for the first time in a long time, but seeing John with the team and how he is getting even more involved gets me excited for 12.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2010, 12:57 AM   #6
Rookie

SOBAY310's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty_Panthers#1
off subject, but he has one of the oldest flip phones i've seen in a while lol. On subject, im glad he is giving great input, i cant wait for 12 to come out.
I was thinking the same thing! And it looked like he was still rocking the Madden game on it.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:04 AM   #7
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42
Good that they listen, also good to see that even Madden can see that the realism aspect has been lost in Madden. Hopefully they install them for M12.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:10 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

they should involve him more in the game. I want to hear his voice more and madden pick and intro

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »