Home

MLB 11 The Show First Look

This is a discussion on MLB 11 The Show First Look within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-15-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
MLB 11 The Show First Look

ESPN's Jon Robinson has just posted his MLB 11 The Show first look. Plenty of information here!

Quote:
"Before each swing, you can also try to guess the pitch and location just like last year, as well as choose whether you want to take a normal swing, swing for power, or hit for contact. Hitting for contact is what's new here, as this is more about simply trying to put the bat on the ball and advancing the runners than anything else -- your batter will take a severe power penalty when selecting this option. On top of that, if gamers want an additional challenge at the plate, Sony has also added true zone hitting into the game. Here, hitters can select the option of not only needing to fine-tune the timing of the stride and swing, but will also need to move a cursor onto the ball as it reaches the plate in order to make contact. According to Gill, this is an option the hardcore fans have been wanting for years. "Again, if we were going to do it, we wanted to make sure we did it right," he explains.

In terms of pitching, the meter the game has been using for years has been revamped a bit to incorporate the new controls. Once pitch and location are selected, gamers will pull back on the right analog stick. This causes the ball on the meter to drop toward a line about three-quarters of the way down. As soon as the ball hits the line, the pitcher will then press up on the right stick, but here's the twist -- if your location is on the outside part of the plate to a right handed batter, you'll need to press up and to the right in order to guide the ball into the target that will appear at the top of the meter. This is all about mastering the stick as you'll need to not only time the movements right, but hit your spot. This really adds to the pressure of each pitch. One mistake and you might fire the ball right down the middle, then watch it fly by your head so fast you get virtual whiplash."
Platform: PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
Rookie

sectiona21's Arena

OVR: 3
re: MLB 11: The Show First Look

AMEN!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30
Ohhhhhh yes!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

YouTube

Old 12-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

42's Arena

OVR: 57
Re: MLB 11: The Show First Look

Old 12-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
Rookie

sectiona21's Arena

OVR: 3

Stadium specific scoreboards, kayakers at AT&T, custom cameras......OH MY!!!

And dynamic rain and weather.....I wonder if that includes rain outs? Still will be awesome to have rain into the game no matter what!!!!

This game is just unreal every year!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
Pro

zukes's Arena

OVR: 7

Not overly impressed with any of the new features. However, to be honest, I didn't have too many complaints with the '10 version and I know other tweaks will be upcoming that will cater more to what I want.

The best thing out of there to me is the chance that the play-by-play has been revamped since they added Karros and dropped Hud.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
So Real!!

ckarlic's Arena

OVR: 26

"Other highlights include Eric Karros joining the booth alongside Matt Vasgersian and Dave Campbell, completely redesigned stadium-specific jumbotrons, and dynamic rain and cloud coverage that not only takes into account stadium location, but the wet field will now affect the on-field results. There's even a new fake throw system that enables fielders to fake like they're throwing the ball to a certain base in hopes of catching an aggressive runner on another base off guard (simply press throw twice to pull off the fake)."

Music to my ears!!!!! Can't wait!!!
New Youtube Gaming Channel -- SpicyChicharron
Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by ckarlic; 12-15-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #8
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65

And player models....

stay the same

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »