Home

Former Tennessee Basketball Player Bobby Maze sues EA/NCAA

This is a discussion on Former Tennessee Basketball Player Bobby Maze sues EA/NCAA within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-17-2010, 04:27 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 7
You get a free education for playing basketball because you're a Good Basketball Player! All things Equal, THE SAME GOES FOR A STUDENT THAT IS REALLY SMART, not the academically average students that are complaining on this forum. If you are a very intelligent student you can get a full scholarship AND A STIPEND. Which means you're getting paid to go to school. Juxtaposed to college athletes who can't even get GRADUATE SCHOOL paid for when their eligibility is exhausted after all the money they made for their respected schools. THATS A SHAME.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:41 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithdynasty
You get a free education for playing basketball because you're a Good Basketball Player! All things Equal, THE SAME GOES FOR A STUDENT THAT IS REALLY SMART, not the academically average students that are complaining on this forum. If you are a very intelligent student you can get a full scholarship AND A STIPEND. Which means you're getting paid to go to school. Juxtaposed to college athletes who can't even get GRADUATE SCHOOL paid for when their eligibility is exhausted after all the money they made for their respected schools. THATS A SHAME.
^how many NCAA athletes have you even heard of talking about going to graduate schools? If they are thinking about graduated schools more than likely they are already intelligent students and wouldn't even be apart of this dumb law suit. Being an athlete gives you a lot more advantages than just paying for your classes you get free housing(the BEST housing you can receive on any campus at that), free meals, free REQUIRED tutoring at the SAAC which means you have NO REASON to fail any classes, AND you usually get money back from the school for your refund. They have no expenses in college you arent guaranteed a job out of college or a shot in the pros but you should of probably not depended on making it big time for your source of "real" income and not a silly lawsuit.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:59 AM   #19
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
I will pray for peace through your anger you were not gifted with abilities to be a college athlete.

Your statement about "Administrators of a University getting paid for the job assigned to them", well I would say go say that to any instructor at any University and see how they feel about such a statement.

Anyhow, this site is not about our stance, but about video games.
So I will not respond anymore.
I did not play sports in college because my grades were not the best so instead of going to schools that were recruiting me to play football i chose to go to a school that wasnt so i could focus on my grades. And i wasn't some mediocre bum player that couldn't play if i wanted to. I'm on rivals100, i was recruited by Rutgers as well as some other schools. But i also had a brother who did go to college of a full ride for football and he was the solo captain of his team his senior year. Ive seen what its like to be a college athlete. He would tell me how the guys on his team would take the money they were given each week or month for their stipen and use it on things like cars or other stuff instead of books & food like its supposed to.

I coach high school football and ive seen the kids ive coached go on to play college football. So get off your high horse thinking you were special because you played a college sport.

Bobby Maze isn't complaining because the demands of being a student athlete were too tough. He's just pissy because he never made it to the next level and now doesnt have the money he thought he would so he's gotta point the finger somewhere.

and to piggyback off of what voodoo said, when you said its harder to make a college sport than it is pro just shows you have NO idea of what you're talking about. Look at each sport, NFL you have a 53 man roster. I played against a kid in High School named Jesse Holley. We owned him in football but he was a good football player and a better basketball player. He was one of the best basketball players in the state. He had offers from all over the place. He went to UNC on a football scholarship and walked on in basketball. He had a less than stellar football career there and was only on the basketball team a couple years (including when they won a NC) but he rode the bench and would only get in during blowouts. But for football he was a starter for a Division 1 football program. They went to a bowl game and he got to receive some pretty expensive and cool gifts just for making a bowl game. Then came the pros, he failed to make it as a pro, went on a tv show 4th & Long and won that to get a shot with the Cowboys and still couldnt make their roster.

Go look at a college football sideline compared to an NFL sideline and see how many more players are dressed. Take the 4th or 5th best player on just about any college basketball team in the country and that guy wouldnt even make an NBA roster.

Also, you cry about just because you have a degree doesnt mean you get a job. Well welcome to the REAL WORLD! You know how many college students that don't play a sport struggle to find jobs? Playing a sport actually is more helpful when finding a job because the person interviewing you might be an ex-athlete or your experiences as an athlete can be something they find appealing as opposed to someone is only a student. And as voodoo had said, a lot of college athletes just pick the easiest major possible thinking they'll coast through college, get a degree and go on to the pros and then theyre stuck with a degree in some b.s. major that won't help them at all.

You're using athletics as an excuse to be academically inferior. How many student athletes out there are able to maintain high grades while playing a sport. Every football season you're hearing stories about kids that graduated college early or are maintaining a perfect GPA or some other impressive accomplishment. How come they can do it and others can't? So using athletics as an excuse is meaningless.

If your eligibility is exhausted why would you expect your graduate school to be paid for? Your education is paid for while youre a student athlete. They are essentially paying you the money it would cost for tuition, books and room & board for you to play a sport for them.

Maybe they should just take away the idea of giving scholarships to athletes and just pay them equally instead. Wait then that'd mean the backup long snapper for Auburn would be getting paid as much as Cam Newton? Or are we supposed to pay based on performance? Then if you take away scholarships and pay the kids instead there will be more crying about how they have to pay for room & board, books, tuition.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:15 PM   #20
Pro

OVR: 33
EA have tried to make their NCAA games as realistic as possible, not because they want to cash in any individual, but because the consumer likes to have a degree of authenticity in their game.
Does Mr Maze actually think that if he were portrayed in the game wearing a number 4 the sales of the game would crash?
The players in the NCAA games are woefully generic. Other than skin colour, jersey number & a heap of ratings there is not much that distinguishes individuals within the game let alone claiming them to be a true representation of an actual individual in real life.
I just hope EA win these cases & the whole saga is put to bed.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:30 AM   #21
Rookie

hawkeye2188's Arena

OVR: 21
Looks like somone needs some money.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »