Home

Football Manager 2011 Review (PC)

This is a discussion on Football Manager 2011 Review (PC) within the Football Manager forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Football Manager
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Football Manager 2011 Review (PC)

After 18 years, no one should doubt Sports Interactive's ability to release another quality version of Football Manager. But does Football Manager 2011 really warrant another 30 odd dollars, or is it just another data update?

The answer is an emphatic yes. It’s definitely worth the money. While there's nothing revolutionary in this year's game, many of the smaller additions in FM 2011 combine to make playing the game a much more dynamic experience than past versions.

Read More - Football Manager 2011 Review (PC)
Platform: PC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
Closet pyromaniac

Whitesox's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Football Manager 2011 Review (PC)

I think it's a fair review.

For me personally, it at least gets a 9, simply because I don't care about visuals. In fact, I like it this way. I can play on my laptop with few slowdowns, and everything is still accurately represented on the pitch. As for sounds, not sure what is to be expected, I know I turn off in game sounds and listen to music or podcasts.

MLS Trading is kind of weird, no doubt. As for buying wonderkids, I haven't had much experience with that, so I cannot speak to the quality of that.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32
Until they improve the online aspect, it's not a 10. Until then it gets an emphatic 9.5 from me. Online and the still-stale press conferences are the only things that disappoint me in this game.

Even commenting on the visual aspect or sound is missing the point of the game. That being said, the 3d engine is much improved over last year. As for the sound - I haven't played sound on an FM game in over 2 years. However, if you're looking for something more, there are actually improved sound files available from the community.

Which brings me to what is the most glaring omission from this mostly fair review. There is no mention of the vast community of loyal players who provide mods and improvements that allow for virtually infinite ways to play the game. Simply put, this game is the best value for your sports gaming dollar out there.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:13 AM   #4
MVP

Perceptor's Arena

OVR: 18

I too would have given this game a solid 9. It's definitely worth the $30 for me and I have really enjoyed it

Having said that, the other thing that annoys me (apart from what's been already stated) is that SI needs to implement the MLS rules and expansion more accurately. They never get it right and I'm surprised considering how much detail and research go into the databases.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:28 AM   #5
Rookie

gigadkc's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perceptor
They never get it right and I'm surprised considering how much detail and research go into the databases.
you should consider 2 things:
1. the game is developed for european gamers of course and people over here really don't care about the MLS so it's no priority to have it the way it is in real life. There is still work to be done on some of the lower leagues in the big football countries which is much more important right now. I guess that's one reason why the developers don't have the real life rules for the MLS.
2. the databases are researched by the fans, not the developers. I know that because I've helped creating the German database for years. The only thing I get is a free copy of the game.

My review is a 9.5 because it's such a quality game. The only thing I don't like is that they still can't get the financials 100% right. Bayern München is so underrated in the game, in real life their one of the richest teams in all of sports and in the game they have to sell players to not get broke.

The community of the game gets 11 out of 10 because it's the best community u'll ever see. I have helped creating the databases, created a lot of facepacks and helped people when they had problems. And I did that for free. U wanna know why? Because we're a big family and whenever u have problem with the game u can be sure there are at least 10 people that'll help you immediately. There are guys that spend all of their free time to create facepacks and actually never have time to play the game. That guys are heroes.
NFL: New York Giants
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4
I love having player chats...i think it's awesome..i relly really want to see player personalities introduced on console games..much more player/coach interaction is needed
Old 01-07-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
Rookie

russwg1970's Arena

OVR: 5
Haven't played this game in a long time. So based on the feedback I downloaded the demo. Dang, this game is really good. I've never seen the graphics engine, and I have to say I was impressed to be able to see the players running around - very cool!

My question is - Why can't a Sim like this be created for American football. I would love to be able to see graphics like this game has with players running around and with the clean interface and detail this game has. I know Soccer has a much larger world wide appeal, but I think an American Football Manager or similar would have some pretty large success.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by russwg1970
Haven't played this game in a long time. So based on the feedback I downloaded the demo. Dang, this game is really good. I've never seen the graphics engine, and I have to say I was impressed to be able to see the players running around - very cool!

My question is - Why can't a Sim like this be created for American football. I would love to be able to see graphics like this game has with players running around and with the clean interface and detail this game has. I know Soccer has a much larger world wide appeal, but I think an American Football Manager or similar would have some pretty large success.
I don't know about that...Head coach 09 wasn't very succesful and it's a pretty decent game

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Football Manager »