Home

Shift 2 Unleashed Arrives March 29th, New Gameplay Trailer Included

This is a discussion on Shift 2 Unleashed Arrives March 29th, New Gameplay Trailer Included within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Shift 2 Unleashed Arrives March 29th, New Gameplay Trailer Included

The first shift was missing two things I think that kept it from being a great game. A quality physics engine...or at least a somewhat realistic driving model, and better multiplayer setup. The multiplayer was very limited (much like the almost great game Grid as well).

I hate being in a position of begging EA here, but please, for the love of all things holy...fix these two things...and I'd love this game.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #10
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrigante2
The first shift was missing two things I think that kept it from being a great game. A quality physics engine...or at least a somewhat realistic driving model, and better multiplayer setup. The multiplayer was very limited (much like the almost great game Grid as well).

I hate being in a position of begging EA here, but please, for the love of all things holy...fix these two things...and I'd love this game.
I too hope they fix those two things, considering the mud slinging they tried to do towards GT5.

You do not have anything close to a sim engine, but you want to criticize a sim. I am very eager to find out more info as well, but considering how close it is coming out from it's initial announcement, I will not hold my breath on the physics aspect.

Will the age be fun, I am sure it will, but will it be a sim on the level of GT5 with the mud slinging they did. I doubt it.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:53 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 0

The rumors were that NFS Shift was more sim until EA instructed them to dial it back. The NFS series has never been a sim series, and EA was not interested in it becoming one now.

Fast forward to the present, and EA has dropped the NFS from the game name, and sim is now the mantra. They are basically in the position of releasing a first edition sim game that will probably not be on the level of Forza and GT.

Plus, many of the devs for Slighly Mad were responsible for GTR, so they have plenty of experience to work on legitimate simulation racing games.

I fully expect Shift 2 to be a a great game, but I have no idea where it will rank on the sim scale. But it could still be third behind both Forza and GT, but be a better game becasue their driving models are frickin' impressive. No one has a cockpit view that even approaches what they did in the first game. And from what little I have seen of shift 2's cockpit view, it has just gotten even better.

Throw in the autolog system from Hot Pursuit, and Shift 2 becomes the sim racing game that encourages racing over collecting. I think they have nailed a pretty nice niche within the sim racing market.

Personally, I'm ore excited about Slightly Mad working on PGR, as I prefer the arcade/sim balance of that series. I thought Shift was the best game of that type since PGR 2. The fun I have had with Shift will lead me to picking up the sequel this game and selling Forza, which I rarely play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2011, 07:41 AM   #12
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker

Personally, I'm ore excited about Slightly Mad working on PGR, as I prefer the arcade/sim balance of that series. I thought Shift was the best game of that type since PGR 2. The fun I have had with Shift will lead me to picking up the sequel this game and selling Forza, which I rarely play.
WHAT??? Someone is bringing back the PGR Series???? Any links to info?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:17 AM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
WHAT??? Someone is bringing back the PGR Series???? Any links to info?
There are just rumors that Microsoft has been shopping for a new developer. One of the developers in the mix is apparently Slightly Mad.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...cars-interview
Quote:
Eurogamer: Slightly Mad Studios is an independent developer. I know Patrick has a vision of this series that extends far into the future. Are you happy to exclusively develop Shift now, or are you available to create other games?

Andy Tudor: I can't comment on that. It would be nice to... No I'm not going to comment on that. I certainly don't want that on tape!

Eurogamer: So if I asked you if Microsoft has been in touch about Project Gotham Racing, would you be able to comment?

Andy Tudor: Nope, certainly not. I'm not being a d***, but no we can't comment. I'll get a kicking if I talk about that stuff. So no, sorry.
So there is nothing definitive, at all. But their work on the first shift game makes them a perfect fit, in my eyes.

I've also read about Microsoft possibly buying Bizarre Creations outright.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:51 PM   #14
Banned

Here's another video of Shift 2 I found:

Old 01-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #15
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker
Here's another video of Shift 2 I found:

That cockpit view is just absolutely incredible.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #16

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
That cockpit view is just absolutely incredible.
I've never played Shift but something about that view gives it a real gritty, sense of speed look.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »