Home

MLB 2K11 Hands-On Preview with New Screenshots (IGN)

This is a discussion on MLB 2K11 Hands-On Preview with New Screenshots (IGN) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
Rookie

RedLine's Arena

OVR: 8
MLB 2K11 Hands-On Preview with New Screenshots (IGN)

IGN has just posted their MLB 2K11 hands-on preview.

Check out the new screenshots, right here.

Quote:
"While the fielding has changed a great deal, the core of the pitching (MLB 2K10's strength) remains fairly untouched. If you skipped last year's game, here's the easy gist of it -- every pitch has a unique motion on the right thumbstick and your timing and accuracy with this motion helps determine the success of your pitch. It worked well in 2010 and it works well in 2011.

But there is something on the other side of the plate that's been added that affects pitching. There's now a stat for how many pitches a batter averages on a plate appearance. Basically, 2K11 knows if a batter tends to extend an at-bat by taking a lot of pitches (or fouling a lot of them off). If balanced right, this little detail could add an extra layer of realism to the pitcher-batter duels."
Platform: NDS / PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: IGN Preview Article

Great read ......The only thing that has me worried a bit is that pitching remains largely unchanged.......I hope we cant pinpoint location as we could in 2K10....
Old 01-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
Rookie

RedLine's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq
Great read ......The only thing that has me worried a bit is that pitching remains largely unchanged.......I hope we cant pinpoint location as we could in 2K10....
I agree, would like some more challenge with pitching. But it sounds like they are trying to get more realistic pitch counts, which could drain stamina leading to lower accuracy.

"There's now a stat for how many pitches a batter averages on a plate appearance. Basically, 2K11 knows if a batter tends to extend an at-bat by taking a lot of pitches (or fouling a lot of them off)"

This could make it more interesting and give each batter their own personality. We'll see.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Every fielder has a Fielding rating. When a ball is hit into the outfield, a white circle appears under the fielder that gives a general sense of where the ball might land. The better the Fielding rating, the smaller the circle (and therefore the easier it is to tell exactly where the ball is heading). It's a smart change that can really change up play in the outfield. For once, I actually had to wonder if I shouldn't pull a poor defensive outfielder and swap in someone with less pop in their bat, but more range.
That is great news. Baseball has always had the issue of fielders feeling similar. Sure arm/speed/etc ratings have separated them, but this will further separate the differences.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 01-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 2K11 Hands-On Preview with New Screenshots (IGN)

I dislike the way the bats, jersey lettering, and stripes on the uniforms look. They're not accurate. It's not a big deal honestly, but I do notice it.

The stripes on a baseball uniform are not just straight lines up and down. When it gets to certain areas on the uniform like the outside of the thigh, they start to form a v shape at some points. Like I said, small detail but noticeable.

The bats just don't look like they're made of wood.

The lettering looks generic.

Contrary to what some people will take from my previous words, I do want the gameplay to be good this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
The fielders are also a little sharper than in the past. They know when a fly ball is the third out and will toss the ball aside and jog to the dugout. An easy grounder to the shortstop is casually scooped up, rather than having him run two feet in a full sprint animation. Those little details certainly matter.
This gives me hope that they have finally slowed down the fielding animations to make the game look/seem more life like.

Am I the only 1 who is really digging this screen shot:

Old 01-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #7
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

OVR: 36

Definitely has me wanting to hear more! Those screens aren't too shabby either.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #8
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
This gives me hope that they have finally slowed down the fielding animations to make the game look/seem more life like.

Am I the only 1 who is really digging this screen shot:

no...that screenshot is SWEET! Funny how a cloudy day can look so beautiful.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »