Home

Analysis: What Happens to Madden if There is a Lockout?

This is a discussion on Analysis: What Happens to Madden if There is a Lockout? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #9
Banned

Cre8's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Analysis: What Happens to Madden if There is a Lockout?

Is it possible that they would do something like they did for NBA Live 10?

Just release some sort of roster update or something? I know what some cynical people might say to that, but it seems like a fiscally smart thing to consider if there isn't a season. Maybe just make a very large game update to download with new/improved features for 1600 MS Points ($20)?..
Old 02-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 7
Real football fans wont disown football if ONE season is lost. Its a gift and a curse for football gamers. You want Madden to lose the license and for 2K, etc to be able to compete again but you also dont want to lose real life football. We'll see...
Old 02-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

According to vgchartz, NBA Live's PS1 sales dropped 22% during the most-recent NBA lockout:

Quote:
NBA Live 98 - 1.40 million (year before lockout)
NBA Live 99 - 1.09 million (year of lockout)
I looked for the sales of NHL games during the 2004-2005 lockout, but didn't find anything.

I think we will see somewhere around a 10% - 20% drop in sales with Madden if a NFL lockout cuts into the regular season.

Last edited by jyoung; 02-09-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre8
Is it possible that they would do something like they did for NBA Live 10?

Just release some sort of roster update or something? I know what some cynical people might say to that, but it seems like a fiscally smart thing to consider if there isn't a season. Maybe just make a very large game update to download with new/improved features for 1600 MS Points ($20)?..
If they did the roster update route I would think that is still breaking the rules, no NFL would mean no creating something new or updated with NFL property. NBA Live was able to do it because there was not a NBA lockout. I think they did that so they could at least update a good game with new players instead of releasing that crap elite game.

Thats my opinion anyways..
Old 02-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #13
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
If there is a lockout, players are no longer under the umbrella of the NFL as the employer. When this happens EA will have to negotiate with players for the rights to have them in the game. EA currently can use them under the NFL Product name, but if/when there is a lockout, NFL players, onlike college can/will seek payment for using their likeness, especially guys in the lower contract range.

You can bet their agents will try and get money for their clients from any source available.
That includes EA to us their clients likeness during a lockout.

Take away the NFL Brand and we will see how people really view the game.
That's scary especially since unlike Backbreaker, they limit customization greatly.

Maybe that's why Ian asked the community what they thought about Total Customization.

I would like the Brand to be striped away, that way gameplay/franchise will have to be top priority.
EA has a signed agreement with the NFLPA through this year at least, so real players and teams will be in the game regardless of a lockout.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 33
A prediction of a 50% drop in sales in the face of a full season cancellation seems like a figure pulled out of thin air. People who want a NFL game will buy Madden irrespective of the status of the actual season. I'm not saying that there won't any impact on sales but these impacts can be countered by releasing a game with substantial improvements & not a 'through the motions' yearly release.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:22 PM   #15
Rookie

over9000yards's Arena

OVR: 9

If there is a lock-out, the cover of Madden will be blank.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
EA has a signed agreement with the NFLPA through this year at least, so real players and teams will be in the game regardless of a lockout.
One thing I've learned in Sports Law class, is that no agreement is 100% fulfilled, especially in the last year.
Especially with major Sports Brands and/or it's Players. Contracts are voided many times with these two entities.

Team Logo's/Namesake are under the unbrella of the NFL (Owners). If there is a lockout, NFLPA can't use those Logo's/Namesake to make profit., even if there is/was an agreement.

From what I've heard, if there is a lockout, you can't take Players and tie them to an Owner's Brand (Team) and/or vise-versa and profit from the combination of the two as a whole when they no longer exist as one.

The main argument is how much of a cut each entitiy should get from profits from the combined brands as a whole. This would include any and all external agreements that sell both as one.

I've been told that when Owners and Players at the pro level reach this point, things get real nasty and selfish.
Meaning each does not want the other to profit in any way by utilizing their brand.

We shall see how it plays out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »