Home

MLB 2K11 Devs Flattered But Not Impressed by MLB 11 The Show Adopting Analog Controls

This is a discussion on MLB 2K11 Devs Flattered But Not Impressed by MLB 11 The Show Adopting Analog Controls within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Destructoid: 2k11 Devs on The Show's Pitching Mechanic

Some people at SCEA have been known to take a shot at 2k, but not speaking as a representative of a company on a well-known website, lol.

I'll probably buy both games this year. But it shows how 2k has a complex...as I said , the Show lifted their number 1 selling point. I'm not willing to say The Show will do it better, because I haven't played it yet. But it's gotta make 2k mad.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
Bailey's pissed
I didn't get that impression at all.

"I don't think there's anything wrong with taking what other people do [well]," he told me, acknowledging that the pitch and swing analyzers with ball trails in MLB 2K10 originated from EA Sports' previous-generation classic, MVP Baseball 2005. The folks at Visual Concepts felt reassured to see The Show -- a franchise that has long been viewed as superior to MLB 2K -- taking after a 2K Sports innovation.

Last edited by jeffy777; 02-15-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:48 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 0

Well, I did come away with the same impression as Bailey when I saw videos on how the show's mechanic works. It might be a better system than 2K's, but sure doesn't look like what I really liked about 2K's version.

I'm not sure there is anything wrong with a 2K dev pointing out why he still thinks their mechanic works better. He's trying to help sell the game.

But sure, Sony has never used marketing to poke fun at a competitor. Cough, Kevin Butler, Cough.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2011, 02:03 PM   #12
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Nice one...Bailey not only claims SCEA copied their system, but copied it poorly...lol. I personally think that, if SCEA is going to be accused of being derivative of anything, it's MVP 07 and not 2K, but no biggie.

I don't think a dev chirping about who copied what (regardless of his intent) means a whole lot. I can understand what he's doing and would even agree that 2K could still have a more interesting system. We'll see.

I just hope Mr. Bailey gets that pitching difficulty is about more than the control scheme. You could wiggle that stick to your heart's content in 2K10 and still paint the corners with darn near every pitch. If VC got that taken care of, he can yap all he wants about the competition...lol
Old 02-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #13
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

I sometimes wish that EA Sports would hire the two voice actors 2K used for football comentary. If a game design is that good other companies should copy it. If it's makes your game better or appeals to a wider audience than IMO you would be stupid not to.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 02-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #14
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

As a fan of 2K's games back in the past and admittedly being loyal fan of their products for the last decade, this comment from their designer really irks me. I honestly think The Show has implemented a better system, and although it's not how I personally would have implemented it myself (I have another system in mind with the right stick completely), it will lead to more pitches not going where you want them to go.

Listen Mr. Bailey: meatballs aside, your pitching system in 2K8 was so fun and versatile. Where that went, I'm not sure. But the fact remains that it's not so much the "how" that I care about, it's more a question of "will this pitching format authentically represent pitching in baseball, down to the inaccuracies involved?" 2K has taken away a lot of the variabilities in their formula they've had since 2K2, and it becomes too easy to become too perfect with it. If you want to talk the talk, I'd say go back to the 3-step pitching in 2K8.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 02-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #15
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

The only thing those two pitching systems have in common is that they use the right stick. If anything the one in the Show most resembles MVP NCAA with its own spin to it. It definitely is not as cut and dry as he made it out to be with the up and down, lol.

Both systems will have admirers and adversaries!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 47

The guy feels his controls are more fun than the other game. Big shock there. 2K pitching with the analog control is still better than the Shows in my opinion, but they have had some years to make them better too. If 2k make the commentary better than last year I am very excited to hear that last year's was great.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »