Home

MLB 2K11 Devs Flattered But Not Impressed by MLB 11 The Show Adopting Analog Controls

This is a discussion on MLB 2K11 Devs Flattered But Not Impressed by MLB 11 The Show Adopting Analog Controls within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #17
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Destructoid: 2k11 Devs on The Show's Pitching Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605

I just hope Mr. Bailey gets that pitching difficulty is about more than the control scheme. You could wiggle that stick to your heart's content in 2K10 and still paint the corners with darn near every pitch. If VC got that taken care of, he can yap all he wants about the competition...lol
This was sort of my broader point. 2k's system is fun, but I think the down/up/release point mechanic may yield better results.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #18
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
This was sort of my broader point. 2k's system is fun, but I think the down/up/release point mechanic may yield better results.
Just remember it is not just your up and down, you have influence on the left and right direction of the zone as well.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #19
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

When did SCEA poke fun at 2K?
I don't remember that at all.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 02-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #20
MVP

swaldo's Arena

OVR: 20

I guess Bailey never played 'MVP 07 NCAA Baseball' because that's where The Show's new pitching mechanic comes from. It's simply a rip-off of their "Rock & Fire" analog pitching system which is ok with me. I even remember reading posts from people screaming to SCEA to adopt it - and everyone knows The Show devs listen to their community.

So Bailey just got egg on his face, and what really concerns me is the fact he apparently hasn't played MVP 07. If I were a lead dev for a baseball game the first thing I'd do is play every game ever made and note what works and what doesn't in each.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:41 PM   #21
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30
LOL, yes Bailey makes its sound very cut and dried. I don't think 2K is in the position to speak on another games development, other than to stir the pot in hopes to gain exposure for their own title.

IMO, the rock and fire method is more true to life when compared to gestures. Afterall, IRL pitching is controlled by grip, arm angle, and release point. All of which are represented in MLBs method. Other than that, you pretty much use the same motion when you pitch in real life (rock and fire).

I also don't recall SCEA taking shots either. Maybe I missed the "MLB Dev flattered, but not impressed by 2Ks my player mode." - even tho EA should be the ones making this statement Bailey makes.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

YouTube

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2011, 06:51 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 3

Let's see, the last time I pitched I didn't swing my arms from side to side to throw a slider and I didn't draw an X with my arm to throw a curveball or whatever. The Show's analog pitching is far superior IMO. When you throw the ball you throw in with the same motion everytime, so obviously the same gesture for ever pitch makes sense. The type of pitch is determined by grip (which is represented by which button you push) and the subltety's of how you throw it (and in the Show this will be determined by hitting your release point on the meter and throwing to the correct area of the plate). I saw everyone praising 2K's analog controls for pitching last year but I just didn't get it. What does making a half circle and a straight cut across have to do with throwing a curveball?
Old 02-15-2011, 09:02 PM   #23
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinSainn
Let's see, the last time I pitched I didn't swing my arms from side to side to throw a slider and I didn't draw an X with my arm to throw a curveball or whatever. The Show's analog pitching is far superior IMO. When you throw the ball you throw in with the same motion everytime, so obviously the same gesture for ever pitch makes sense. The type of pitch is determined by grip (which is represented by which button you push) and the subltety's of how you throw it (and in the Show this will be determined by hitting your release point on the meter and throwing to the correct area of the plate). I saw everyone praising 2K's analog controls for pitching last year but I just didn't get it. What does making a half circle and a straight cut across have to do with throwing a curveball?
For me the argument has nothing to do with realism but rather what is most fun and provides the best sim result. I love gesture pitching. I don't like the meter pitching in the Show and Classic had grown stale. Gesture pitching is a mini-game on it's own. In no way will I pretend that performing a half circle when throwing a slider is more or less realistic. I don't care. I just found it a lot of fun to have a unique system for every pitch. Variety keeps it fresh and I do think this will hurt the Show's analog pitching system. 2K10 was still way too accurate and they didn't have a pitch accuracy slider to help fix this. It certainly hurt the realism and sim aspects of pitching when you rarely walk anyone and paint corners most of the time. That missing slider really hurt the game last year and I'm really hoping they add it to 2K11. I'll be annoyed if it's not.

The Show's system isn't just up and down as you do have to tweak it left/right based on accuracy and the speed of the stick does influence it. It doesn't sound as much fun to me since it lacks 2k's variety although maybe I'll be wrong. Obviously some will like this approach better. I do think that the misses should be more random than what the tutorial video has shown. If I push too far to the right on the stick, the ball shouldn't miss right every time imo. 2K's will be more random and I think that is the better way.

A bigger complaint for the Show may be that you have to execute the pitch DURING the delivery. One reason I preferred Classic over Meter in the past was that I was able to watch the pitcher the entire time and see the result of the play. With meter I was so focused on hitting my marks that I missed a lot of that. The Show's new analog system has the same timing system and I wish they would let you execute the controls just before the pitch so you could actually watch it play out completely.

I have no problem with the Show going analog and have been asking for this to happen sooner than later. Great ideas should always be borrowed so we can all benefit. These two systems will be compared at release and I'll enjoy reading the various comments on them once we can actually use them. The biggest benefit of analog controls is in the pitching for me so this is something I'm really going to try out for both games. Let's hope the demos come out before release this year.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:29 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
For me the argument has nothing to do with realism but rather what is most fun and provides the best sim result. I love gesture pitching. I don't like the meter pitching in the Show and Classic had grown stale. Gesture pitching is a mini-game on it's own. In no way will I pretend that performing a half circle when throwing a slider is more or less realistic. I don't care. I just found it a lot of fun to have a unique system for every pitch. Variety keeps it fresh and I do think this will hurt the Show's analog pitching system. 2K10 was still way too accurate and they didn't have a pitch accuracy slider to help fix this. It certainly hurt the realism and sim aspects of pitching when you rarely walk anyone and paint corners most of the time. That missing slider really hurt the game last year and I'm really hoping they add it to 2K11. I'll be annoyed if it's not.

The Show's system isn't just up and down as you do have to tweak it left/right based on accuracy and the speed of the stick does influence it. It doesn't sound as much fun to me since it lacks 2k's variety although maybe I'll be wrong. Obviously some will like this approach better. I do think that the misses should be more random than what the tutorial video has shown. If I push too far to the right on the stick, the ball shouldn't miss right every time imo. 2K's will be more random and I think that is the better way.

[B]A bigger complaint for the Show may be that you have to execute the pitch DURING the delivery. One reason I preferred Classic over Meter in the past was that I was able to watch the pitcher the entire time and see the result of the play. With meter I was so focused on hitting my marks that I missed a lot of that. The Show's new analog system has the same timing system and I wish they would let you execute the controls just before the pitch so you could actually watch it play out completely.

I have no problem with the Show going analog and have been asking for this to happen sooner than later. Great ideas should always be borrowed so we can all benefit. These two systems will be compared at release and I'll enjoy reading the various comments on them once we can actually use them. The biggest benefit of analog controls is in the pitching for me so this is something I'm really going to try out for both games. Let's hope the demos come out before release this year.
While I agree with you about the circular gestures being preferable, I completely disagree with you about the statements that I bolded.

You hit in real-time; you field in real-time. Why would you not pitch in real time? It would just seem so unnatural and wrong to do the gesture and then have the animation unfold. I believe this was a criticism of 2k pitching last year (there's a thread about it somewhere).

I haven't really analyzed the video of MLB 11, but it would be sick if the delivery/arm slot is noticeably altered or different when, for example, the pitcher overthrows it and pulls it into the dirt. Anybody know?

Last edited by thundergatti; 02-15-2011 at 09:30 PM. Reason: forgot to bold
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »