Home

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: The Masters - Career Mode Breakdown

This is a discussion on Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: The Masters - Career Mode Breakdown within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 24
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: The Masters - Career Mode Breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMaster B
That can't be the case Seymour. They are allowing DLC to be implemented in your season. You play all of the other events as usual. In the real Nationwide Tour you just need 3 wins I believe to advance to the PGA.
As far I know that to get to the PGA tour you have to finish near the top of the Nationwide rankings at year end and gives you a berth to qulaiufying school. I've never heard about 3 wins and you advance. That would have to be 3 wins in a calender year although if you do that you obviously would be ranked near the top at years end. But then again if you don't win a tourney all year but get a bunch of top 5 placings then you would be in the top 10 rankings and still advance.

I'm pretty sure the Nationwide tour operates the same as the PGA does with the Fedex points.

The career mode states in that screen shot just to win 3 tourneys in total. Doesn't say in a calender year which makes the career mode arcadish.

As in the case of the final goal of being the #1 golfer. I would assume that winning the Masters would be part of the criteria. So if you get all the other goals that they want than all the incentive you have is to only play the Masters year after year until you win it and complete the career mode goals. The other tourneys may be in there but you would have no reason to play them because it doesn't affect the goal of being #1. This is how it's played out in the Wii version.

All I can say is if this is the case there will be alot of bitching on this board after a month because there is no real season mode. And if achieving a goal in career mode simply gives you a screen shot saying Congratulations then it will be a dull as before. They need to work on the presentation not the structure.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
Far from perfect

The Bimmer's Arena

OVR: 16

The career mode is called Road to the Masters, so you're going through multiple seasons accumulating points in the World Ranking. So there are two goals here: To actually get invited and win the Masters, and to become the No. 1 golfer in the world. So even though you can get to the Masters in a short time, it's then up to you to see how many Masters you can win while also trying to become the No. 1 golfer.

Maybe I am reading something into this that is not so. Lets say after your first season you get invited to the masters, but you dont win it, I am quite certain we would not be NO.1 in the world right? So now you would have to play the season again and see if you get invited? right? Now lets say we get invited again ( our 2nd season), but this time win it, but still do not make NO.1 in the world, we would have to play through season 3 get invited again and win back to back masters to get to NO.1 in the world (possibly)? Because I am thinking if you play with a half human created player and play on Tournament mode ( the hardest) there could be some real fun here compared to TW11 career mode which isnt that bad, but I agree not that good. If I am correct that this is how the carrer mode will work , just the change itself in the challenge will be good enough for me.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:13 PM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bimmer
The career mode is called Road to the Masters, so you're going through multiple seasons accumulating points in the World Ranking. So there are two goals here: To actually get invited and win the Masters, and to become the No. 1 golfer in the world. So even though you can get to the Masters in a short time, it's then up to you to see how many Masters you can win while also trying to become the No. 1 golfer.

Maybe I am reading something into this that is not so. Lets say after your first season you get invited to the masters, but you dont win it, I am quite certain we would not be NO.1 in the world right? So now you would have to play the season again and see if you get invited? right? Now lets say we get invited again ( our 2nd season), but this time win it, but still do not make NO.1 in the world, we would have to play through season 3 get invited again and win back to back masters to get to NO.1 in the world (possibly)? Because I am thinking if you play with a half human created player and play on Tournament mode ( the hardest) there could be some real fun here compared to TW11 career mode which isnt that bad, but I agree not that good. If I am correct that this is how the carrer mode will work , just the change itself in the challenge will be good enough for me.
Yeah but that's not realistic. The most recent #1 golfers are Martin Kaymer and Lee Westwood and neither have won a Masters in fact they have only have one major between them. It kinda makes winning other tourneys in the game anti-climatic.

It's like playing Madden and being told you can only be crowned Superbowl champion if you beat Pittsburgh in a playoff game on the road 1st. Makes it too gimmicky for me. And what if you make it to the PGA tour and win the Masters the 1st year and end up #1 also. That would mean your PGA season only lasts one year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2011, 07:14 AM   #12
Far from perfect

The Bimmer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
Yeah but that's not realistic. The most recent #1 golfers are Martin Kaymer and Lee Westwood and neither have won a Masters in fact they have only have one major between them. It kinda makes winning other tourneys in the game anti-climatic.

It's like playing Madden and being told you can only be crowned Superbowl champion if you beat Pittsburgh in a playoff game on the road 1st. Makes it too gimmicky for me. And what if you make it to the PGA tour and win the Masters the 1st year and end up #1 also. That would mean your PGA season only lasts one year.
Well, I see what you are saying. I just disagree with you about the OTHER tourneys having no meaning if you win them. If points are determining your ranking wouldnt you want to win as many tourneys as possible to get the max points? Remember you have to be invited to the Masters, win it(maybe more than once) and be NO.1 in points. The Madden example , well, the Masters is the Super Bowl in E.A.'s design of the game. Its not like playing Pittsburgh every year its more like playing the Super Bowl in Pittsburgh every year, I dont have a problem with that actually. We have to be invited by points (the other tourneys) or in Madden language win the division or get the wild card. Now if winning the masters to get to NO.1 or winning the Superbowl in Madden as you put it seems boring because its at Augusta everytime, well, quite frankly I could care less if I had to play in the same stadium every year as long as I won the Lombardi Trophy.

Curious, what kinda of carrer mode would you like to see?

Last edited by The Bimmer; 02-16-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:39 PM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bimmer
Well, I see what you are saying. I just disagree with you about the OTHER tourneys having no meaning if you win them. If points are determining your ranking wouldnt you want to win as many tourneys as possible to get the max points? Remember you have to be invited to the Masters, win it(maybe more than once) and be NO.1 in points. The Madden example , well, the Masters is the Super Bowl in E.A.'s design of the game. Its not like playing Pittsburgh every year its more like playing the Super Bowl in Pittsburgh every year, I dont have a problem with that actually. We have to be invited by points (the other tourneys) or in Madden language win the division or get the wild card. Now if winning the masters to get to NO.1 or winning the Superbowl in Madden as you put it seems boring because its at Augusta everytime, well, quite frankly I could care less if I had to play in the same stadium every year as long as I won the Lombardi Trophy.

Curious, what kinda of carrer mode would you like to see?
From those screen shots it looks like it's objective based. And thoerotically your PGA tour career could last one season if you obtain all your objectives. People were complaining about 5 year PGA seasons and we might have 1 or 2 year seasons.

I want a career mode that mirrors a real life golf career and not end after you achieve all the objectives. I want to have a multi year career and see if i could match Nicklaus for lifetime majors. The presentation is what was lacking last year and that's what made it boring.

They used the objective type checklist for the Wii version and for Top Spin tennis and trust me it gets boring fast when coupled with dull presentation. If the last objective is to be #1 (which appears to be the case from what I'm reading)I don't want the career mode to end once I reach #1, I want to keep going and try to maintain being #1.

EDIT: never mind I just saw the other thread and it looks alot better than I thought it would be and the AI scoring slider clinched it for me.

LIke I said I just hope the game doesn't end when you reach #1.

Last edited by Seymour Scagnetti; 02-16-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #14
Far from perfect

The Bimmer's Arena

Well on the E.A. forums I read that the career mode is 10 yrs, not 5 as in TW11. So I suspect all though it may be possible to win the masters and be NO.1 all in one season, I dont think playing on Tournament mode this will be possible. Plus with a 10yr career it might well be possible that if you do hit NO.1 with a masters win we will have to maintain it through the next year, but this is speculation on my part.

I am thinking that it will take the average sim player on Tournament mode probably 3-4 seasons to hit NO.1 and have a masters under their belt. However since the article reads how many masters can you win before being NO.1 I dont think one win will neccesarily get you to the top, who knows. This will depend on the point system.

The biggest thing for me so far is the change, it will be a whole new way to play the game, even if it is not the greatest way.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:02 PM   #15
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
As far I know that to get to the PGA tour you have to finish near the top of the Nationwide rankings at year end and gives you a berth to qulaiufying school. I've never heard about 3 wins and you advance. That would have to be 3 wins in a calender year although if you do that you obviously would be ranked near the top at years end.
It's called a Battlefield Promotion, win 3 Nationwide events and you're promoted to the main tour. I remember Jason Gore doing it a few years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlef...ion#Other_uses

In any case, I'm just happy that some semblance of life seems to be added to Career mode this year. At least on the surface it seems like a major upgrade, even if the depth that some might want isn't necessarily there.

Last edited by rangerrick012; 02-16-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
That can't be the case Seymour. They are allowing DLC to be implemented in your season.
That's good to hear.

Quote:
You play all of the other events as usual.
That's how I understood it as well. You still play a regular golf season.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »