Home

Shift 2 Unleashed Realism Trailer

This is a discussion on Shift 2 Unleashed Realism Trailer within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-24-2011, 07:21 PM   #17
Go Irish

Rules's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Shift 2 Unleashed Realism Trailer

Add another to my list to buy.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:27 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
EA split NFS up into sim and arcade racing. Hot Pursuit is the arcade game, while Shift is sim and meant to be their GT or Forza. While Shift 1 was really more like a psuedo sim racer, they did a great job at focusing on giving an awesome and unique experience driving in cockpit view and making it immersive.

The game looked great, especially for having 16 cars in a race, and now it sounds like the handling is better.
So in other words, your car has more of a tight feel in corners (a la GT) as opposed to a loose feel (a la NFS: Underground / Hot Pursuit)?
Old 02-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #19
MVP

lnin0's Arena

OVR: 23

Shift was the first game EA released after declaring the brand split - between sim and arcade - so I think it towed the middle a little more than the developers wanted. The original Shift sat between Grid and Forza as far as handling. Now that a NFS title has released it feels like Shift 2 can nudge more toward sim.

On paper Shift doesn't stand a chance against the science and scope of the two big console sim monsters. But real racing happens where the rubber meets the road and that is where Shift plays with more heart then Forza and GT combine.

I am really looking forward to Shift 2 and all the previews so far look fantastic. The original was far from faultless but it managed to pack a lot of excitement into a sterile genre. It was a welcome departure from the lab-like atmospheres of Forza and GT.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:46 PM   #20
Rookie

jms493's Arena

OVR: 12

Yeah it looks like they are going for RACING Sim and not driving sim. It will compete more vs Forza but wont have the scale and features that Forza has. It seems to be focusing on Racing.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:04 PM   #21
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

OVR: 36

Wow... incredible video. If they hadn't been putting "Actual Game Footage" at the bottom of some of those clips, I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. Awesome stuff.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 11

What gives me mixed feelings about this is that, according to the Shift thread on gtplanet, it's been confirmed there will be no tire degredation, fuel consumption effects, or pit stops.

I can see the no pit stops--some european series, for example, have races short enough that they do no pits stops, but to have no tire or fuel effects in a so-called racing sim?
Old 02-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #23
MVP

lnin0's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamehead
What gives me mixed feelings about this is that, according to the Shift thread on gtplanet, it's been confirmed there will be no tire degredation, fuel consumption effects, or pit stops.

I can see the no pit stops--some european series, for example, have races short enough that they do no pits stops, but to have no tire or fuel effects in a so-called racing sim?
Lack of those things is irritating but I can forgive them if they get the racing right. I would rather them leave it out completely than give me the buggy, half-hearted iterations of those features so familiar to console 'sims'.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:04 PM   #24
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamehead

Keep in mind they need to appeal to a larger crowd... I, for example, wouldn't buy this game if I had to deal with all that extra stuff. What they should/could do is implement something like what you mentioned, and just have the option available to turn things off. Best of both worlds.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »