Home

Major League Baseball 2K11 Review (360)

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K11 Review (360) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #9
MVP

swaldo's Arena

OVR: 20
Nice review, it is a good game so I'd say the score is right. The devs should read this blog post by Bill Abner regarding franchise. Just give us something simple that works...

http://nohighscores.com/node/201

Last edited by swaldo; 03-15-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:29 PM   #10
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Good review although I don't think the graphics are that bad. There is a great fun factor to this game and I think the overall score is too low myself but everyone's opinion is different.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #11
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC State-31 UNC-27
Five whole sentences about gameplay - by far the most important aspect of a sports video game, right?
Well, there are three other articles attached above just dripping with gameplay impressions, so it's more like just capsulizing previous thoughts for the sake of brevity.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #12
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Major League Baseball 2K11 Review (360)

Quote:
and there have been multiple instances where a CPU base runner was clearly safe on a steal attempt yet the umpire called him out.
That's actually quite realistic .

Good review. Personally, I would rate it a bit higher, but we all have our own opinions.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:10 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 6
Will there be a PS3 review or is this it?
Currently playing the show but would like to try out 2K as well, is it worth it?
Old 03-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #14
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Good review although I don't think the graphics are that bad. There is a great fun factor to this game and I think the overall score is too low myself but everyone's opinion is different.
This is exactly the way I feel.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 0

I completely disagree with this review. This game and NBA 2k11 if you look at the graphics are identical. NBA 2k11 gets a great review and is heralded as the best basketball game ever because there is no competition. They are using the same graphics engine. 2k is designing a multiplat game and is relegated to what both the xbox 360 and ps3 can do. The 360 hardware is simply not capable of doing what the show is doing on the ps3 which is specifically designed for it.

If you look at both games the show and 2k, they are nearly identical, minus the player models and shading are "dumbed down". 2k has added a little more as far as control and options as far as mlb today and a deeper franchise mode, smoother online play, where the show has sharper graphics and is a bit more polished.

But whatever. I simply don't think some of the people reviewing these games have any idea what developers are relegated too when designing them. 2k11 is simply a multiplat title. If you look at NBA 2k11 vs the Show you will see the same lack of detail in the graphics and animations in comparison. There were also various framerate issues when nba 2k11 was first released due to it being released on multiple platforms which a patch eventually fixed.

Play both games and tell me they are that different in theory. But this game gets a 7? Please... Fanboyism at it's finest. Someone needs to take their Show goggles off.

This review just strikes me as someone who loves the show and thinks it's better so they are going to nitpick the heck out of this game. NBA 2k11 has no competition and is your favorite game and you are a fanboy, so you are going to say how awesome it is.

In my opinion 2k has released a baseball game that rivals their NBA game and a baseball game that rivals the show with just less in the graphics department and AI in spots. They are relegated to designing this game for the hardware at hand where the Show is at an advantage being a single platform game. All in all there isn't a huge difference between the two minus surface stuff.

It's just true and you know it.

This review just doesn't depict how good this game actually is. You seem to be focusing on the negative. Will the Show lose 3 points because their online play is still laggy? That's a much bigger deal to me then graphics that look a little pasty. The Show has these great graphics but they sort of forgot that would be hard to get to work online too well. So much for the show being so incredibly balanced. Online play is sort of a big deal these days.

How about what this game gets right? The main factors they most definately do. Add in MLB today, GAMEPLAY, improved animations, improved commentary, improved control on both sides, a deeper franchise mode, and this game is an 8.5 in my book. Where the show is about a 9 due to its graphics and polish. The gap is shrinking.

Last edited by Celtic34; 03-15-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2011, 09:42 PM   #16
MVP

stlstudios189's Arena

OVR: 41
Fair review and I like the new format.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »