Home

MLB '11: The Show Review (PS3)

This is a discussion on MLB '11: The Show Review (PS3) within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
MLB '11: The Show Review (PS3)

If you have played an earlier version of The Show, you will feel right at home with the 2011 iteration. Things like the opening music and splash screen, or the commentary and in-game animations remain largely familiar. And to some, that will translate -- understandably -- to a feeling of staleness.

However, if you can remove that particular context from the equation, you will discover one of the deepest, most accurate and fun sports simulations available today.

Read More - MLB '11: The Show Review (PS3)
Platform: PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: MLB '11: The Show Review (PS3)

Good, fair review. This is probably the best baseball game I've ever played, if not sports game period, but I think an 8.5 is a completely reasonable score, based on what's great about this title (visuals, gameplay, controls), and the not so great (repetitive commentary mainly).
Old 03-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50
Why with every review no matter which site when discussing presentation they never include "Sounds of the Show"? It by far blows any other sports game away in the customization and for the most part makes commentary not needed. I would much rather have my mid inning sounds (broadcast/stadium), cheers, heckles, themes, HR music, team win/loss music pretty much everything there over commentary any day. Great review, game is by far the best to date.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
Why with every review no matter which site when discussing presentation they never include "Sounds of the Show"? It by far blows any other sports game away in the customization and for the most part makes commentary not needed. I would much rather have my mid inning sounds (broadcast/stadium), cheers, heckles, themes, HR music, team win/loss music pretty much everything there over commentary any day. Great review, game is by far the best to date.
Mentioned it in the audio section at the end of, if it makes you feel any better: "The commentary is not bad, it just gets repetitive. I love that custom audio is now more configurable than ever."
Old 03-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56
So true HO...so true.
For all the guff the presentation and commentary receives....adding in your own SOTS is tremendous IMO.
Plus....with this year in franchise...the amount that they comment on previous games in the "standard" commentary is great IMO and while not an "upgrade" per se...it is pretty nice.

That being said...fair review...and I agree with most points in it.

M.K.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 49

Despite being perhaps the best sports game currently available, The Show will not be the highest rated sports game for another year. 8.5 seams harsh, and when you consider the fact there will be 2 football games this year that i am sure will get better scores, and wont be superior......it seams even more harsh.

While the review score is just a number....its the first thing that pops up in this review...and the main thing that gets talked about. Therefore, it is in fact the bottom line. Based on a 8.5 review score, it would suggest to me personally that MLB 11 is a worse game then last year, or at the very least has made no improvements, or is behind other games moving forward......Just my opinion.

Last edited by wheelman990; 03-16-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
Despite being perhaps the best sports game currently available, The Show will not be the highest rated sports game for another year. 8.5 seams harsh, and when you consider the fact there will be 2 football games this year that i am sure will get better scores, and wont be superior......it seams even more harsh.

While the review score is just a number....its the first thing that pops up in this review...and the main thing that gets talked about. Therefore, it is in fact the bottom line. Based on a 8.5 review score, it would suggest to me personally that MLB 11 is a worse game then last year, or at the very least has made no improvements, or is behind other games moving forward......Just my opinion.
Review process and scoring has changed since last year. Show ended up with the same score as it did last year, which really means it's actually better. It's just that our editorial guidelines changed as well.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #8
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

OVR: 36

I will still say that I like the commentary in this game though... great laid back baseball feel to it. Personally, I just think it needs MORE lines, and a little more back and forth. It would also be cool to get a more broadcast type highlight show and player of the game highlight reel at the end.

Personally, while I understand the review score, I'd still give this game a 9/9.5. It's just flat out awesome.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »