Home

WWE All Stars Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

This is a discussion on WWE All Stars Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here within the Wrestling forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-22-2011, 11:54 AM   #9
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: WWE All Stars Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

The thing is that the controls can be the best in the world, but if the modes do not have replayability......I see a lot of cats not playing this after 2 weeks. I know how this trend goes around here.

Is there some kind of career mode or ladder system, or is this purely a fighting game in a wrestling engine? THQ hasn't mentioned anything on this front and all we have seen is match types.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #10
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZombie
The thing is that the controls can be the best in the world, but if the modes do not have replayability......I see a lot of cats not playing this after 2 weeks. I know how this trend goes around here.

Is there some kind of career mode or ladder system, or is this purely a fighting game in a wrestling engine? THQ hasn't mentioned anything on this front and all we have seen is match types.
Bingo man. I was just about to ask is their any replayability to it, because it looks fun as hell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 03-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #11
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZombie

They've shown it several times, there's 3 different career mode paths.

That's any game, people get tired of them in a week. No Mercy had one game mode, people still want it alone to be released again.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Last edited by ExtremeGamer; 03-22-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-22-2011, 12:25 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 5

Personally I see the replayability in a few different lights.

1. The difficulty will be much different than SvR where it becomes impossible to lose a 1v1 match within an hour of playing the game. Why is this? I believe a lot of it has to do with the reversal system. In SvR the reversals barely make sense, seeing the Big Show backflip out of a back-grapple is just ridiculous. But, the grapple reversals aren't contextual thus they do no damage. In All-Stars, not only is every grapple truly reversable (i.e. a moonsault is reversed into a tombstone, powerbomb reversed into hurracanrana, etc.) but every reversable is also reversable, and the reversals actually do damage. So when you couple that with the fast paced action of the game, I truly feel as though it'll be a very complex fighting game that stays challenging for a long time due to the "back and forth" nature of the fights. The CPU always will have a chance, they can truly reverse finishers, and they seem to be pretty intelligent. This is without factoring sliders in (if there are any) and also without knowing just how many difficulty levels there will be.

2. I think online could be a lot of fun. I played a ton of Super Street Fighter 4 online and I feel as though this game mirrors the complexity and fun that you can have online. If you want to be great at this game, you're going to need to log many hours practicing. If you want to play online casually, that's cool too, but the players that have practiced are going to smoke you. This game is a lot deeper than I think people understand at this point. Smackdown vs Raw was never, ever fun for me to play online. At no point did it feel like a match, never had any flow to it, etc. When I played No Mercy with friends it was always a blast, when I played it online with some people (emulator obviously) it was still a blast all these years later. I feel as though All-Stars will resemble a No Mercy type multiplayer experience as opposed to an SvR experience.

3. Last but certainly not least, every fighter seems to have their own thing going. Meaning if you want to be proficient with your favorite 5 or 10 wrestlers in the game, you're going to have to learn how to use each one. This is an element missing from any other wrestling game I've ever played. All the same button presses, moves, etc were used for every fighter. The only difference was a high flyer would use the top rope more, or throw himself outside the ring. But inside the ring, every wrestler was virtually identical in terms of play style. They all looked different and had different moves, but the execution was the same. With All-Stars, every wrestler seems to actually be different. If I spend a few hours and learn the ins and outs of Mr. Perfect (my all time favorite wrestler). That doesn't mean I'll be successful with The Ultimate Warrior, because they're so different. THQ has done a great job of this. It's the same as Street Fighter, I can kick butt with Akuma, but if I attempt the same strategies and play-style with Zangief in my next match, I'm going to get obliterated.

I think all of those things coupled with all of the game modes make this wrestling game the one with the HIGHEST replayability. At the very least, far and away the highest replayability on the next gen systems/wrestling games. There's a couple of Japanese games, Firepro, KOC2 that have high replayability as well. But I absolutely believe this one blows everything on ps3/360 (wrestling games, obviously) out of the water.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #13
Rookie

MiNiDiTkA's Arena

OVR: 3

Vid I recorded. Rey Mysterio vs Ultimate Warrior

Old 03-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrews
Personally I see the replayability in a few different lights.

1. The difficulty will be much different than SvR where it becomes impossible to lose a 1v1 match within an hour of playing the game. Why is this? I believe a lot of it has to do with the reversal system. In SvR the reversals barely make sense, seeing the Big Show backflip out of a back-grapple is just ridiculous. But, the grapple reversals aren't contextual thus they do no damage. In All-Stars, not only is every grapple truly reversable (i.e. a moonsault is reversed into a tombstone, powerbomb reversed into hurracanrana, etc.) but every reversable is also reversable, and the reversals actually do damage. So when you couple that with the fast paced action of the game, I truly feel as though it'll be a very complex fighting game that stays challenging for a long time due to the "back and forth" nature of the fights. The CPU always will have a chance, they can truly reverse finishers, and they seem to be pretty intelligent. This is without factoring sliders in (if there are any) and also without knowing just how many difficulty levels there will be.

2. I think online could be a lot of fun. I played a ton of Super Street Fighter 4 online and I feel as though this game mirrors the complexity and fun that you can have online. If you want to be great at this game, you're going to need to log many hours practicing. If you want to play online casually, that's cool too, but the players that have practiced are going to smoke you. This game is a lot deeper than I think people understand at this point. Smackdown vs Raw was never, ever fun for me to play online. At no point did it feel like a match, never had any flow to it, etc. When I played No Mercy with friends it was always a blast, when I played it online with some people (emulator obviously) it was still a blast all these years later. I feel as though All-Stars will resemble a No Mercy type multiplayer experience as opposed to an SvR experience.

3. Last but certainly not least, every fighter seems to have their own thing going. Meaning if you want to be proficient with your favorite 5 or 10 wrestlers in the game, you're going to have to learn how to use each one. This is an element missing from any other wrestling game I've ever played. All the same button presses, moves, etc were used for every fighter. The only difference was a high flyer would use the top rope more, or throw himself outside the ring. But inside the ring, every wrestler was virtually identical in terms of play style. They all looked different and had different moves, but the execution was the same. With All-Stars, every wrestler seems to actually be different. If I spend a few hours and learn the ins and outs of Mr. Perfect (my all time favorite wrestler). That doesn't mean I'll be successful with The Ultimate Warrior, because they're so different. THQ has done a great job of this. It's the same as Street Fighter, I can kick butt with Akuma, but if I attempt the same strategies and play-style with Zangief in my next match, I'm going to get obliterated.

I think all of those things coupled with all of the game modes make this wrestling game the one with the HIGHEST replayability. At the very least, far and away the highest replayability on the next gen systems/wrestling games. There's a couple of Japanese games, Firepro, KOC2 that have high replayability as well. But I absolutely believe this one blows everything on ps3/360 (wrestling games, obviously) out of the water.
As far as the reversal damage, you can set that to "ON" for SVR. There is reversal damage in that game.

I'll give this a "chance" and download the DEMO and try it out. But IMO, it's basically SVR on steroids. I hear people saying "I get to play with classic wrestlers..."...so download them in SVR?! You can have 50 of them. If you want "arcade", then just adjust the sliders in SVR.

The odd thing though, in favor of All Stars, is that each wrestler has their own "style" it seems. For an "arcade" game, it has more "sim" flavor than SVR! In the long run, it seems like the type of game that if you don't have SVR and want to play with classic wrestlers, get this. Otherwise, stick with SVR and just download the wrestlers you want.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 5

I know what you mean about the SvR damage, which I also turned to on. Their reversal system just has a long way to go. You can put the damage to on, which is fine. But the system itself just is not anywhere near advanced or deep enough. I'm not sure if you've played KoC2 but it has a really great reversal system that can explain what I mean, and is light years ahead of what SvR is offering. I played SvR11 for a few weeks, I felt it was an improvement, but also felt the game still lacked a "back and forth" flow to it, and wasn't difficult at all. Out of myself and all my friends that played it. We tried very hard to find sliders to make the game challenging, to no avail. Unless you threw the match, you couldn't lose.

So I'm not saying this game is more realistic or is only replayable due to the legends. Just that the game captures the back and forth element well, and is more challenging by far. Thus, increasing the replay value. I can't speak for everyone but going into every match knowing you'll win isn't fun at all. I've already lost quite a few matches in All-Stars and it's a long overdue change of pace.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-22-2011, 02:29 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

The game is a lot better than I thought it would be control wise. Definitely a purchase for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling »