Home

25 New Plays Coming to NCAA Football 12 - Play #8: Pistol Spread RNS Switch Smash

This is a discussion on 25 New Plays Coming to NCAA Football 12 - Play #8: Pistol Spread RNS Switch Smash within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
25 New Plays Coming to NCAA Football 12 - Play #8: Pistol Spread RNS Switch Smash

Over the next few weeks, EA Sports will show 25 new plays that you will find in NCAA Football 12.

New offensive plays will be shown every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, while a new defensive play every Tuesday and Thursday. Each new play will be accompanied by a screen of the play art and a brief description of why the play has been added to NCAA Football 12.

Play #8 features the Pistol Spread RNS Switch Smash.

Quote:
"Pistol Spread RNS Switch Smash - Hawaii’s run and shoot offense can now be run from the Pistol formation. The traditional staples such as RNS Switch Smash can now be found in the new Pistol Spread formation. Hawaii and SMU’s playbook also features the run and shoot version of Pistol 4WR Trips."
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: 25 New Plays Coming to NCAA Football 12 - Play #8: Pistol Spread RNS Switch Smash

The Pistol is one of my favorite formations in NCAA 11. I've had great success both running and passing out of it. Now having the Pistol with 4 WR's could make passing that much better and you could sub a TE at the slot if you wanted to run out of it.

Anyway, this play looks like it could be straight money. I can already tell what I'm going to do when I see man coverage, which is move my #1 receiver (or fastest) to the slot (Y). Then hot route the outside receiver (x) to a slant or an in route. Then that side should be cleared out for my best WR against a Nickel Back or Outside Linebacker. Well, assuming that the safety is in man coverage or is slow getting over. Either way it looks good!

Well done

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans

Last edited by jeremym480; 03-23-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: 25 New Plays Coming to NCAA Football 12 - Play #8: Pistol Spread RNS Switch Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
Anyway, this play looks like it could be straight money. I can already tell what I'm going to do when I see man coverage, which is move my #1 receiver (or fastest) to the slot (Y). Then hot route the outside receiver (x) to a slant or an in route. Then that side should be cleared out for my best WR against a Nickel Back or Outside Linebacker. Well, assuming that the safety is in man coverage or is slow getting over. Either way it looks good!

Well done
So instead of just using the routes that are sound from a football stand point, you throw them out? The smash concept on the right is a great concept against cover 2 and works fine against cover 3. In a 2x2 formation QBs look to see which side of the formation has the advantage over the defense and then make his primary reads on the best side. Instead of approaching this play from a football standpoint, you approach it from a video game standpoint, which is fine, but annoys the crap out of me. Also that post on the left side can/will screw with safeties. Take that away and now the defense can smother the smash concept because there is no threat to the MOF.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight9299
So instead of just using the routes that are sound from a football stand point, you throw them out? The smash concept on the right is a great concept against cover 2 and works fine against cover 3. In a 2x2 formation QBs look to see which side of the formation has the advantage over the defense and then make his primary reads on the best side. Instead of approaching this play from a football standpoint, you approach it from a video game standpoint, which is fine, but annoys the crap out of me. Also that post on the left side can/will screw with safeties. Take that away and now the defense can smother the smash concept because there is no threat to the MOF.
Yeah, I get where your coming from. However, I am going to look at it from a videogame stand point because that's what it is. But, this looks like a very good play even without hot routes and I love the smash concept on the right too. That's one of my favorite route and I'm certainly not saying that I'm going to ignore it. I'm just throwing other ideas out there.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 03-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 19
Since we have not had the same communication like Ian & Co has been given Madden folks, I'm just going to post a "I hope they fixed this" to some of these plays, because there was an issue that prevented proper play-out.

With this one, I hope they fixed how "ONE" safety can cover both X and Y because of the Nano-Speed Coverage and the Passing Ball Arc simulating a Punt to either receiver.
Boise St used this alot with Titus Young as the X.

Also, seems like every team with this set will run it with the "Exact" same WR splits again and we can't adjust them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
Yeah, I get where your coming from. However, I am going to look at it from a videogame stand point because that's what it is. But, this looks like a very good play even without hot routes and I love the smash concept on the right too. That's one of my favorite route and I'm certainly not saying that I'm going to ignore it. I'm just throwing other ideas out there.
I'm guilty of this too, but I do it mainly with the smash concept where I'll motion to 3x1 from 2x2 and make the motion guy run a streak, the middle guy run a corner, and the split run a hitch. It's a concept that I've coached up and is a total cover 2 killer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
Since we have not had the same communication like Ian & Co has been given Madden folks, I'm just going to post a "I hope they fixed this" to some of these plays, because there was an issue that prevented proper play-out.

With this one, I hope they fixed how "ONE" safety can cover both X and Y because of the Nano-Speed Coverage and the Passing Ball Arc simulating a Punt to either receiver.
Boise St used this alot with Titus Young as the X.

Also, seems like every team with this set will run it with the "Exact" same WR splits again and we can't adjust them.
You mean a safety shouldn't be able to sit on the post until the ball is thrown then make a play on a wheel route he was ignoring?
Old 03-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
Rookie

I hope they get the RB/QB alignment right.

Hawaii runs its QB 4.5 Yards behind Center w/ a back 1.5-2 yards behind him -- not the deep back pistol looks that say Ohio/Nevada/Indiana run.

Further, I was hoping that EA would actually implement the true nature of option route-reads off of switch, with X/Y running sit-down/dig/streak/post concepts off of the switch itself.

Back on the side running smash, the modern JJ/Hawaii R&S calls for route adjustments made on a delay basis, allowing for the outside receiver to pivot in, run a fade-stop, and the inside slot to either run a sail pattern, or a deep out depending on safety alignment and how well the outside wideout can occupy a corner - depending on a 2 deep vs 1 deep shell.

What we have here is a simulated switch concept based off of existing off-setting routes within EA's Football play database.

While it's a fairly decent attempt at implementing R&S concepts, I really hope that they fleshed out the scheme much more in game this year.

-as Far as I can recall, only Hawaii operates purely out of a Pistol set, JJ went back to an offset deep back in a SG look running only his unbalanced goal-line set out of pistol.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight9299
I'm guilty of this too, but I do it mainly with the smash concept where I'll motion to 3x1 from 2x2 and make the motion guy run a streak, the middle guy run a corner, and the split run a hitch. It's a concept that I've coached up and is a total cover 2 killer.

You mean a safety shouldn't be able to sit on the post until the ball is thrown then make a play on a wheel route he was ignoring?

Your 3x1 concept would be best implemented in this game with automotion with the backside/single-wideout running a choice concept locked purely on streak/post/out with an alert-slant option based on a 3 deep shell blitz call.

Hawaii has the ability to run all of its plays with a switch concept in mind- watch some film on when they played USU and NMSU who ran man exclusively - Choice-Special / Go-Special basically flip the inside slot roles out of trips and you immediately create a man beater, while running the same exact plays as base Choice/Go out of trips.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »