Home

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters Review (PS3)

This is a discussion on Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters Review (PS3) within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 04-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters Review (PS3)

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters
is the latest iteration of EA Sports' golf series that has prominently featured Tiger on the cover for the better part of the last 10 years.

While the series has seen some controversy, EA has stood by its man so far. However, EA decided to hedge its bets somewhat by taking Tiger off the cover of most versions of the game this year, replacing him instead with the most prestigious course and tournament in golf.

Beyond the debut of Augusta National and the Masters in video games, there are also new golfers and the usual selection of new courses and our old favorites. But does all of this equal a great game of golf? The answer to that question depends on what you want out of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters.

Read More - Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters Review (PS3)
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / Wii
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters Review (PS3)

Well I think how much you enjoy the game depends upon how much you like/dislike the caddy feature, and it sounds to me like you didn't like the caddy at all or see any positives to it whatsoever. I personally don't like the caddy, but can see how for the casual gamer it's a good addition. Just wish that EA would patch in the option to turn the caddy off completely, especially on tournament difficulty. I disagree that it's just a game of 'hitting the percentages' though.

I still think the addition of the Masters as well as the tournament difficulty (save for the caddy) make this a solid upgrade, but again it all goes back to how much you hate the caddy, and it seems like you hated him and found no benefit whatsoever.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:08 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 33
I don't think I've ever read a review where I agree with every single point that has been made. Your evaluation of PGA 12 is spot on.

Totally agree with your comments regarding EA's efforts to bring a broadcast & player perspective style into one package & falling short on both. Reiterating your point regarding the Caddy. Having a caddy who gives you tips on preparing for your next shot would be a good thing. Having a caddy who pinpoints your exact shot location is totally unrealistic.

On PGA 11 I fely EA had made some good strides forward, this years effort appears more of a stumble forward.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 13
Color me a casual gamer or maybe just ignorant enough about golf but I love the game.

There are alot of advantages to not knowing every nuance of a sport.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 4

I agree they need to give us the option of using the caddy or not, but in all honesty................name 1 PGA golfer that doesn't use a caddy.
Is it annoying? I'm sure it is for some, but if I had the opportunity in my life to have a fulltime caddy that helped me aim and knew exactly how far I hit the clubs and could read a break for me on the green, I would have one in a second.

Sure casual gamers will like it because it makes the game easier, but if you have ever golfed at a high level you would know that having a caddie that knows you well can take you from a +3 handicap to a scratch golfer easily. Two sets of eyes on the green alone can save you 2-3 strokes a game.

I guess I just wish people weren't so quick to "hate" this feature as it makes the game more realistic IMHO. I mean football teams don't just leave the game calling up to QB's, they have pritnouts and pictures and coaches helping them to find weaknesses in the other teams defense. Take replays out of a football game and tell me how good it is. (I am talking for hard core gamers that study the game)

Again, I completely agree there should be an option to turn it off, but I don't see it as an absolute disaster like many do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

The caddy is not realistic in any way. You never have to aim, just make the shot.

The way true aim worked in TW11 was way, way more realistic in my opinion.

TW games in the past few years have done a great job catering to casual players and those seeking much more realism with options, etc. The fact that you have to play the game one way is completely puzzling.

Based on the demo I'm glad I didn't buy this. I will just play TW11 for another year. That is one of the best golf games in recent years.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
Pro

OpusX910's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
The caddy is not realistic in any way. You never have to aim, just make the shot.

The way true aim worked in TW11 was way, way more realistic in my opinion.

TW games in the past few years have done a great job catering to casual players and those seeking much more realism with options, etc. The fact that you have to play the game one way is completely puzzling.

Based on the demo I'm glad I didn't buy this. I will just play TW11 for another year. That is one of the best golf games in recent years.
As someone who has played tournament golf with a caddy (and failed miserably), this is exactly what my caddy did for me most of the time. They suggest an exact shot to hit, if you agree with him/her, all you're left to do is hit the shot. My caddy knew my game probably better than I did.

As far as the caddy in the game, I hate it....the game was already easy and this makes it easier....like many have said I just want the option to turn it off.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61
I think I'll just keep my Tiger Woods 10.

I'm disappointed you can't turn off that caddie. I'm really really big on broadcast presentation. Not that TW10 was perfect....but its closer than that.

I figured with Jim Nantz and Augusta they would go all out to make the game seem like a Sunday telecast.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »