Home

25 New Plays Coming to NCAA Football 12 - Play #23: Mizzou Jet

This is a discussion on 25 New Plays Coming to NCAA Football 12 - Play #23: Mizzou Jet within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
Banned

1GATOR FAN's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: 25 New Plays Coming to NCAA Football 12 - Play #23: Mizzou Jet

So wouldn't that mean they don't have enough guys on that side of the ball? If in fact that OT can't catch passes? I'm pretty sure he can't either you know how many teams would start running a OL out for a pass we he got beat at the line or ect.... It would good DE pass rusher in there tracks
Old 04-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugotsII
Do a lot of college teams run these WR jet sweeps?

I just don't see this happening...

I think they put this in to cover the fact that they don't have end arounds and reverses in the game.
First play should look familiar. From just a couple years ago.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by theharbinater
in this formation, the left tackle is an eligible receiver. or is that where they mean the te is?

also, the inside wr on the trips side is covered up, and therefore is not eligible. they have him going down field like he's faking a pass route. if they have other plays from this formation, and have him running routes on passing downs, that's a penalty.

someone correct me if i'm wrong.
Totally a guess, but I think the TE is the inside receiver on the trips side. Covering the TE isn't that out of the ordinary. It would still allow 3 route combos to the trips side with the back out and having the TE pass protect. Totally a guess.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #12
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

There were a fair number of formations in NCAA '11 (and in real life) that had an uncovered tackle on one side and a covered receiver or TE on the other side.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 04-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #13
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GATOR FAN
So wouldn't that mean they don't have enough guys on that side of the ball? If in fact that OT can't catch passes? I'm pretty sure he can't either you know how many teams would start running a OL out for a pass we he got beat at the line or ect.... It would good DE pass rusher in there tracks
it doesnt matter how many guys you have on each side of the ball, as long as 7 are on the line of scrimmage. Thats why when teams have a long play in the final 2 mins and are trying to run up and spike the ball, everyone usually just runs and makes sure they are on the LOS. Because you need at least 7 on the LOS no matter which side of the ball they are on. But the end guy on the LOS can only go out for a pass if he is wearing a non-lineman number which is usually 50-79.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by theharbinater
in this formation, the left tackle is an eligible receiver. or is that where they mean the te is?

also, the inside wr on the trips side is covered up, and therefore is not eligible. they have him going down field like he's faking a pass route. if they have other plays from this formation, and have him running routes on passing downs, that's a penalty.

someone correct me if i'm wrong.
i think the LT is in fact the TE, since who ever described the play calls it unbalanced. they probably should not have used a O-line character for him. as for the rest, it probably is a primary run formation, since that inside receiver is covered. if not, they probably run some bubble screens or such where that inside guy loops into the backfield at the snap.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:42 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugotsII
Do a lot of college teams run these WR jet sweeps?

I just don't see this happening...

I think they put this in to cover the fact that they don't have end arounds and reverses in the game.
bama did/does. seemed like they ran at least one wr sweep a game last season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
there is nothing wrong with that formation. The LT is only eligible if he is wearing a eligible number, in the NFL he would have to report in if the lineman wanted to go out for a pass. As long as they have 7 on the line they are fine, the 3rd WR being covered makes him ineligible for a pass but makes the formation legal because he there are 7 guys on the LOS.
didn't mean to sound like the formation was illegal. it's perfectly legal. couple points, though (which will also address some other posts):

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachoFantastic
An offensive lineman can never be an eligible receiver (in college ball) as far as I know. The only way that player can be eligible is if a player not wearing 50-79 is substituted in.
knew this. which is why i asked if the te was in the lt spot. but he's not going down field in a fake pass route, and the covered split end is. which, on this particular play, is fine since it is a run play and he can be up field. but it also leads me to believe that if it were a pass, he would run a route, which would be illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight9299
Totally a guess, but I think the TE is the inside receiver on the trips side. Covering the TE isn't that out of the ordinary. It would still allow 3 route combos to the trips side with the back out and having the TE pass protect. Totally a guess.
this is correct. only thing, as stated above, they have him faking a route on this play. leading me to believe if there are pass plays, he would be 'eligible' in the game. which would not be correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
I doubt they have other plays in this formation and if they do its prob a fake jet QB run or fake jet option type play but i bet this is just a wrinkle in a different formation where that 3rd receiver isn't on the line and the WR, the jet man on this play, is on the line.
i seriously hope this isn't the only play in this formation. if so, it will be infinitely easy to defend.

i could see them tinkering with another formation, though. but they need at least 1 pass play to go along with this. otherwise it will be easily recognizable and easy to defend.

even if it is play action sweep with a 1-2 man route with a fly and a hook by the 2 eligible wr's on trips side. with the sweeping wr as the flats outlet.

provided p/a works, of course.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »