Home

Madden NFL 12 Gameplay Q&A (ESPN The Gamer)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 12 Gameplay Q&A (ESPN The Gamer) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-28-2011, 08:13 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Madden 12 gameplay adds new tackling system, smarter defense (ESPN)

"Pro-Tak is OUT, point of contact tacking is in"

This is music to my ears as I never liked the pro-tak tackling system! However, it is just amazing how the #1 feature put into the game two years ago is already scrapped. This is why Madden is where it is today. It seems like nothing is really implemented correctly or built on after it is put in the game.

I am also thrilled that they added WR shading and press back in the game. Hopefully they added a TON of animations for WR/DB interaction as well. This is much needed.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:22 AM   #10
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
"Pro-Tak is OUT, point of contact tacking is in"

This is music to my ears as I never liked the pro-tak tackling system! However, it is just amazing how the #1 feature put into the game two years ago is already scrapped. This is why Madden is where it is today. It seems like nothing is really implemented correctly or built on after it is put in the game.

I am also thrilled that they added WR shading and press back in the game. Hopefully they added a TON of animations for WR/DB interaction as well. This is much needed.
I never understand why EA does this all the time (I can see it happening every now and then, but it seems like every big feature gets removed a year or two later). I am wondering with custom playbooks in will game planning still be in the game or will it to be removed
Old 04-28-2011, 08:33 AM   #11
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
I have to agree.

Like I said a few wks ago, M10 was a solid football game and turned the franchise around. But I think they tried to accomplish a lot without re-inventing the wheel. They tried to improve tackling and blocking with existing code, and I think they've arrived at the conclusion that they can not.

So they're going back and re-building the game, piece by piece.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2011, 08:47 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
I have to agree.

Like I said a few wks ago, M10 was a solid football game and turned the franchise around. But I think they tried to accomplish a lot without re-inventing the wheel. They tried to improve tackling and blocking with existing code, and I think they've arrived at the conclusion that they can not.

So they're going back and re-building the game, piece by piece.
You are probably correct about this and Adembroski tried to tell us this several times without actually saying it. Unfortunately, with this new approach it will probably still be 2-3 years before gameplay is where it needs to be.

They still need to fix:

1. ANIMATION overhaul. The animations still look choppy and disjointed.
2. Passing game- More realistic velocity of passes, more ability to put a touch and arc on the pass, route based passing, etc..
3. Locomotion and foot planting- This may still be Maddens biggest area in need of improvement. They need to put FIFA's entire locomotion AND foot pinning technology in.
4.More realistic AI and ADAPTIVE AI. They made a big deal about this in Madden 10 and never said a word about it since.
5. Realistic DL play and DE's running actual arcs when pass rushing.
6. WR/DB interaction- They need to add a ton of realistic looking animationd in this department.
7. Realistic QB movement- No more QB's sprinting around and turning their back to the play to turn around and sprint. Make it like APF2k8.
8. PLAYER SPECIFIC animations based on ratings. The 2k team has always been great with this and it makes every player look and feel different.
9. Overall ratings in the game need to matter more. Speed is the only real rating that seems to consistantly work.

If they could get these gameplay fixes into the game we may actually be onto something..
Old 04-28-2011, 09:21 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 4
I kind of hope all tackles arent just going to be collision and done. I mean sometimes there is a pile that is rubbing up against each other I think Pro Tak type things should happen every now and then
Old 04-28-2011, 09:24 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 4
Mike Scantlebury: Instead of having tackles where guys are stood up and other defenders are adding on just for the sake of the gang tackle, now we have a much stronger, much more powerful impact that knocks the ball carrier down almost immediately.

This is what im talking about. Thats not exactly a great thing.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:24 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 1
Its crazy how they finally adding back shading and individual press or back off for defensive backs. I mean they had these features back in the PS2 days and now they finally adding this in. That's 1 of the big problems i had with madden over the years. To me madden hasnt been the same since the PS2 days. Best madden is with
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2011, 09:25 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 1
Ray Lewis on the cover

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »