Home

Judge Nixes NCAA Players Antitrust Claims -- Case Not Over...Yet

This is a discussion on Judge Nixes NCAA Players Antitrust Claims -- Case Not Over...Yet within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #9
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Judge Nixes NCAA Players Antitrust Claims -- Case Not Over...Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECElite3
I am sorry, this is a ridiculous law suit and it is clear that money is the pure motivation for it. There are no names on the Jerseys, the faces are generic, and for the love of... I do not see how a number and equipment can reflect ones "likeness"

Who the heck is Same Keller anyway
I actually think thats BS. Thats the same BS argument the NCAA uses when selling jerseys. "Yes we know its a Florida jersey with the number 15 but we arent selling Tim Tebow's jersey". The fact is when you are playing NCAA 12 with Michigan's QB #16.....you know you are playing with Denard Robinson. EA knows you are playing with Robinson. Same with the NCAA. Its his likeness being used.

EA could have gotten around this but completely randomizing the numbers and likenesses. Make Andrew Luck black and with a different number but give people the option of changing skin color and numbers.

Whats funny is a colleague of mine is one of EA's attorneys on this case.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
Rookie

Canes305's Arena

OVR: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxattax3
exactly, and "Keller" in the game was actually good.
If was them, I would sit down and play football to get your free education.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
MVP

cch99's Arena

OVR: 9
I'm with aholbert on this. I mean all you have to do is go into these forums around the time the game comes out and look at the people complaining about the ratings of certain players. It's not a direct likeness but so many things match up that it's totally obvious that the player is based on a real person.

Put yourself in the shoes of the athletes. Were that you would you think that the character in the game had nothign to do with you ? I don't disagree that it's all about money thiough. Anymore, what in life doesn't seem like it comes down to money.

Totally randomize, jersey numbers, skin color, height, weight, etc. As long as people can still edit rosters and whatnot and not sell them for money they will. And then the players lose there argument,
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #12
Sweettouch

Dame's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32

Whats funny is a colleague of mine is one of EA's attorneys on this case.
Sidenote I know one of EA's attorney on the case too. I dont have no info on the case or anything close(never even spoke about the case) just found it odd that someone else knows someone on that team as well could be the same person.

back to the subject I'm torn on the decision. I'm for the players getting paid but dont want EA sports to be liable so they change the game for my own personal reasons
Old 05-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 0
This really irritates me. the players want money for EA using a model that looks like them. I'm fine with that but the players are being paid, it's called a scholarships. The school pays them to play for their school and in turn they get a free education. What more do these kids want?
Old 05-04-2011, 02:05 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 32

well... not all players receive scholarships
Old 05-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #15
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by spfalla
This really irritates me. the players want money for EA using a model that looks like them. I'm fine with that but the players are being paid, it's called a scholarships. The school pays them to play for their school and in turn they get a free education. What more do these kids want?
The players get scholarships to PLAY FOOTBALL. Not so the NCAA or EA can make more money by using their likeness in a football game. Its really that simple.

Same with the pros. NFL players get money from teams to play football. They get more money from EA through the player's union to use their likeness in Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
The players get scholarships to PLAY FOOTBALL. Not so the NCAA or EA can make more money by using their likeness in a football game. Its really that simple.

Same with the pros. NFL players get money from teams to play football. They get more money from EA through the player's union to use their likeness in Madden.
So you'd also be ok with paying $50 or more for each college football game you watch on TV? Because the TV networks are doing far worse with players than NCAA football. The PAC12 just negotiated a TV contract worth $1,000,000,000, and the players don't see a dime of it. That's way worse than some video game.

Last edited by saunders45; 05-04-2011 at 02:24 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »