Home

Madden NFL 12 Concussions Rare, No Defensive Suspensions, Not Based on Hit Stick

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 12 Concussions Rare, No Defensive Suspensions, Not Based on Hit Stick within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2011, 12:04 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Madden NFL 12 Concussions Rare, No Defensive Suspensions, Not Based on Hit Stick

ESPN's Jon Robinson and Madden NFL 12 Producer, Phil Frazier cleared the air on the specifics of the new Madden NFL 12 concussion system.

Quote:
"We're treating the injury more in line to how they do in the NFL," Frazier explained as we played an early build of the game. "It's not based on the Hit Stick, though. It's based on the area of the collision. So you have to actually hit a guy in the head as part of a tackle for it to even be considered for a concussion, but causing a concussion in the game is rare.

"I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but there were over 25,000 plays called last season in the NFL, and out of all those plays there were only about 200 concussions. So in "Madden," on any play, there is a .59 percent chance of a concussion happening. It's a very rare injury and it will be rare in the game."

Frazier also said that defenders will not be suspended in franchise mode for causing too many of these hits as gamers can't aim their tackles specifically at their opponent's head. "We don't have a mechanic in the game that causes a concussion," added Frazier. "There's nothing you can do to increase the likelihood of a concussion. We're not going there."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / Wii
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2011, 01:27 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Nice to see you guys are making inuries realer
Old 05-06-2011, 01:56 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3
I just hate when i go through multiple season and everyone on my team is healthy. I hope they fix it so there are more injures and my team is not injury free season after season.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:25 AM   #4
Rookie

Double C's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Madden NFL 12 Concussions Rare, No Defensive Suspensions, Not Based on Hit Stick

It would have been awesome if they had put flags and suspensions for helmet to helmet hits.

My screenshot albums
Just Win on Madden Baby
Old 05-06-2011, 07:41 AM   #5
Banned

Cre8's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Madden NFL 12 Concussions Rare, No Defensive Suspensions, Not Based on Hit Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by iva-chargers-fan
Nice to see you guys are making inuries realer
This is sarcastic, right?

Ever since (and even before) they decided to take late hits out of the game (thanks mostly to the NFL Commish) - Madden has completely lacked any sort of realistic injury or player interaction system.

While I think there is something to be said for marketing the sport as a sport and not as a violent game of collisions. It is also a nice ploy for parents that are scared to let their kids play.... there is something inherently wrong about taking away the realism that should automatically be a part of a violent game.

You should be able to aim for the head in the game and get suspended for it - if for no other reason than to teach that it is a reprehensible act on the football field.

PS - I have yet to hear if the the TACKLER gets concussions as well or if it is just offensive players getting lit up...

Last edited by Cre8; 05-06-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2011, 07:46 AM   #6
Pro

Step2001's Arena

OVR: 9
I have questions about a player getting a concussion and how it affects him for the rest of his career in Madden. Will the "Wear & Tear Injury System be used in Madden 12? A Yes answer scratches rest of questions.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:52 AM   #7
Pro

HeavyHitter55's Arena

OVR: 10

0.59% chance of having a concussion happen I can understand, but I have a feeling that concussions are going to appear to be too rare. The article says that 200 concussions occurred out of over 25,000 plays, yet 200 concussions means nearly 12 a week (regular season) or 10 a week (regular season and playoffs). So I only hope that the 0.59% likelihood plays out to those kinds of numbers week to week.

RIP J.J.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #8
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1

There's an aggression rating for each player right? If not there should be because it would be nice to see a player with a high aggression rating sometimes go for helmet to helmet hits or do some other lethal hits and get penalized for it.

Then maybe have the league fine the player the following week for the hit. Would just be more realism for the game. People will probably disagree though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »