Home

First NHL 12 Video Posted, New Release Date Set [UPDATE: Extra Info Added]

This is a discussion on First NHL 12 Video Posted, New Release Date Set [UPDATE: Extra Info Added] within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: What's new in NHL 12? Video

All I saw was more ridiculous hits, goalie fighting, and the winter classic. Hell it says "new desperation saves" and shows the same old belly flopping "save" that's been in there since 07. Sorry if the AI isn't improved it's going to be the same thing. But that's okay as they obviously don't care about the offline modes anymore anyways. It should be renamed "EASHL 12".

BAGM or BAP players, prepare to be dissappointed.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2

The hitting still looks overdone, players shouldn't be crushed just because they are standing along the boards. For all the little things they are striving for, I hope they pay equal attention to the big things, namely shooting, hitting, defense, and skating which all need some attention.

I like goalie collisions but I'm interested to hear how penalties will work. I feel it's one of those things that is going to cost people games when their goalie is knocked over and no call is made.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 24

Nothing sounded that great to me...breaking the glass, goalie fights? Yawn.

Talk to me when the AI is actually a threat (and mixes it up) and the game plays like real hockey. Oh, and BAGM is a solid all-around mode.

I like the new presentation elements and more physics like goalie hits, but I'm still wary about how much this game has actually improved.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #12
EA Game Changer

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck
All I saw was more ridiculous hits, goalie fighting, and the winter classic. Hell it says "new desperation saves" and shows the same old belly flopping "save" that's been in there since 07. Sorry if the AI isn't improved it's going to be the same thing. But that's okay as they obviously don't care about the offline modes anymore anyways. It should be renamed "EASHL 12".

BAGM or BAP players, prepare to be dissappointed.
BAP is getting a big upgrade this year apparently.

From there press release:
Quote:
REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--With the Stanley Cup® Playoffs heating up, Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) is getting in on the action with the announcement of new features for EA SPORTS™ NHL® 12, shipping on September 9th in Europe and September 13th in North America. Play your way to superstardom in the revamped Be a Pro mode and experience the authentic action and energy of real life hockey with the Full Contact Physics Engine.

In the revamped Be a Pro mode, experience the pursuit of greatness and legendary moments in your playing career, shatter historic records and cement yourself in NHL history. Additionally, the better you play, the more ice time you’ll get where you can simulate to your next shift with the EA SPORTS Action Tracker so you’re always on the ice as you play out your entire career in pursuit of the Stanley Cup.
I'll agree with you though that these upgrades won't matter much if the basic fundamentals like the AI, skating, ect. don't have big improvements. If the offline play doesn't feel like a big step up (I don't even play offline really because I can't stand the AI), then the game isn't that significant of an update since the flashy new features will get old quickly.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #13
Rock Band FTW!

murph17's Arena

OVR: 14
pretty meh. especially with all the effort they are putting into Madden and FIFA this year.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 4
It sounds like they are catering more to the casual fan, or fan of arcade-style hockey, than the simulation or realistic hockey fan.

As time has gone on, EASHL has become more and more ridiculous. The best teams juice, only go for huge hits on defense (which simultaneously wears down your guy), and score the exact same goals over and over.

This press release/video really worries me as a fan of realistic hockey.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #15
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: First NHL 12 Video Posted, New Release Date Set (UPDATE: Extra Info Added)

Nothing in that video/article made me jump out of my seat and say 'I can't wait for NHL 12.' Let's see what the "big announcement" is going to be. I have a feeling, like others have said, it will have to do with online and us offline guys are going to get left with minimal tweaks to Be A GM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #16
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: First NHL 12 Video Posted, New Release Date Set (UPDATE: Extra Info Added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by addybojangles
It sounds like they are catering more to the casual fan, or fan of arcade-style hockey, than the simulation or realistic hockey fan.

As time has gone on, EASHL has become more and more ridiculous. The best teams juice, only go for huge hits on defense (which simultaneously wears down your guy), and score the exact same goals over and over.

This press release/video really worries me as a fan of realistic hockey.
well said.. and like i have said many times, if they just would admit that, all would be well in my book. bc we would have no room to bash the realistic elements so to speak.

just a shame that gameplay and how the AI reacts is not a TOP priority EVER.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »