Home

NHL 12 Video - Winter Classic and Action Tracker

This is a discussion on NHL 12 Video - Winter Classic and Action Tracker within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: New NHL 12 Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven547
In the interview with EA, they said their main focus was on presentation this year. Ugh. Looks like they keep forgetting the important things in a game...like gameplay! I really hope what we are seeing is far from the final product. If not, EA once again, has their priorities mixed up based on this video.
They said they were focusing on presentation this year? Yeah the intro to the winter classic is a nice touch but in game, it looks like the cutaways are the exact same as before and the same useless stats are used. I'm optimistic about the final product, but if they were putting an emphasis on presentation, I would expect new, different cutaways, stats between two teams, history etc... you know, stuff you actually see when you watch a game. The focus should be freshening things up, I'm tired of the same old stuff we've seen since 08 as I'm sure most are.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #18
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven547
In the interview with EA, they said their main focus was on presentation this year. Ugh. Looks like they keep forgetting the important things in a game...like gameplay! I really hope what we are seeing is far from the final product. If not, EA once again, has their priorities mixed up based on this video.
typical EA....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
I'm not sure about "untouched", but it sure doesn't look like there is a new "skating engine" based on this small amount of footage.
their track record sucks.. until that track record changes, we can just assume things like i posted.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 06-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #19
Banned

Peter_OS's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jattbreed
Man...I am NOT impressed at all by anything so far.

Presentation looks OK but I don't care how fat someone is, or a pause menu, what do you want me to do spend my time at the pause menu instead of playing?

I hope the equipment gets updated and at least AT LEAST have real cyberfaces for the top line of each team, c'mon EA.
Exactly!
Old 06-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #20
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

OVR: 6

NHL from EA Sports seems more and more to me like a 40 year old woman who seemed to have understand mens!

"Who cares about what I have to offer inside? All they care about is how I look like and how easy I am out of the box!"

Give more snow, fireworks and pause "goodies" so I can play less and less the game so I can't see the AI is dumb like hell!
Old 06-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #21
Rookie

Kaladesskel's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBeaule04
NHL from EA Sports seems more and more to me like a 40 year old woman who seemed to have understand mens!

"Who cares about what I have to offer inside? All they care about is how I look like and how easy I am out of the box!"

Give more snow, fireworks and pause "goodies" so I can play less and less the game so I can't see the AI is dumb like hell!
Lol I agree! And like people would argue over years and years of gaming, it's not about graphics (or in this case, presentation, even though I think it looks really good) It's about gameplay!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #22
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaladesskel
Lol I agree! And like people would argue over years and years of gaming, it's not about graphics (or in this case, presentation, even though I think it looks really good) It's about gameplay!
If I would act the EA way with my wife, I would be on the verge of divorcing.

If she tells me my action aren't right in some situation and I would come home with a new pair of shoes, I'm not sure it would make it.

If she tells me that I'm always making exact same mistakes and my answer is starting to making it less often but making new ones, I'm not sure it would make it.

If she tells me that she hate the way I hit every wall in the house when I'm angry and my answer is that I will hit the wall but will do it in a more real way, I'm not sure it would make it.

I hope I'm wrong with NHL 12, but if the Winter Classic, presentations and goalies interference and fights we're the top priorities for EA, I'm giving up, there's nothing we can do no more to help EA understand us.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #23
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

I feel like something that would help this game would be having the player have to stop.
Think of it like this (this analogy is just popping into my head, so it's got potential to be crap)
Anyhow, when you play a game with cars you don't just push the stick down to stop. You have a brake. Something that slows you down. I feel like, while skaters can do things cars obviously can't the basic physics constraints are still there. You can't just pivot in place without moving, and you have to put a lot into going another direction.
If we had something like, a trigger that would be a "brake" so to speak for the skater, it would, in my opinion lead to much more realistic gameplay.
Instead of players skating full speed into the boards and just magically picking up the puck, then moving instantly back to center ice, you would have to come in, but use the trigger to slow your player down. This would make people think about the angle they take to the puck, instead of just running at it from any direction. It would be faster to skate down the boards and scoop the puck up and keep skating, but what if you aren't heading from that way? Say you are racing a player down the ice for the puck, you both just can't skate full speed into the corner without slamming into the boards.
I think doing this would add a lot to the game. If you go too fast you could run the risk of getting injured, say maybe a little over the "safe" speed and your guy puts and arm up and hits the boards, but has to take a second to get on his feet properly before playing the puck right.
It would eliminate just slamming into the boards as it is now and automatically (Unless the AI is with you...then they seem to get the puck no matter what i try...) grabbing the puck to magically skate away.
It would also help for crashing the crease.
Too much speed and you run the risk of nailing the goalie and getting called/roughed up by the other team. Stop too soon and you're out of position.

I think little things like that would help a lot for making gameplay feel less...on rails.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:08 PM   #24
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs11
They said they were focusing on presentation this year? Yeah the intro to the winter classic is a nice touch but in game, it looks like the cutaways are the exact same as before and the same useless stats are used. I'm optimistic about the final product, but if they were putting an emphasis on presentation, I would expect new, different cutaways, stats between two teams, history etc... you know, stuff you actually see when you watch a game. The focus should be freshening things up, I'm tired of the same old stuff we've seen since 08 as I'm sure most are.
Well said Biggs.

I too am optimistic about the final product. But what you posted here is pretty much what I was hoping to see as well. Them showing the height/weight overlays again, was a bit disappointing. Especially in GM mode...I'm hoping for much more useful overlays/pop ups. Like the things you mentioned above.

Like some are talking about in the other vid thread...I'm hoping I don't have to be constantly pausing the game to enjoy the bulk of the "new" presentation. Good Lord man!...I have enough trouble getting through an 82 game season.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »