Home

Backbreaker Vengeance Review

This is a discussion on Backbreaker Vengeance Review within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #9
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Backbreaker Vengeance Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGFOOT999
I disagree, but then again, arcade games aren't my cup of tea. At the same time, I do not understand how it receives the same rating as The Show. From what I played of the demo, despite nice animations, vengeance was shallow, repetitive, and overpriced. I, for one, will pass.
Agree, I don't think this game is 1.5 away from perfect, and surprised it's an 8.5 with comments like 'but you have to take some narrative leaps in your mind when it comes to Backbreaker' and half the online section dedicated to awful lag (taking an hour to complete 5 waves... ) concluding it's a boom or bust mode... so bad that the online leader boards are characterized as worthless.

The links in this review referring to the review criteria and the Tecmo Bowl Impressions (which was kinda made fun of in this review... also was rated an 8.5...) are broken and just take you to the reviews list.

Also, there's this line:

Quote:
There is a two-console online limit, meaning the only way to have four human players in an online game is to add a split-screen player on each console.
I am pretty sure there's no 4-player under any circumstances... was this written when this was still vague and then impressions were filled in? I can only imagine how bad the game would be with 4 players, given the near universal complaints about lag so far with just 1v1.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
The Legendary Roots Crew

Sublime12089's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
You're comparing a downloadable arcade football game to a full-priced baseball game, that's your first mistake.
Agreed, but even with the price difference, I do not see it being as worthy of such a score as the show, or within .5 of NCAA 11 and NBA 2k11, especially with the strides those latter franchises made in one cycle.

Again, arcade games like this are not really my thing (Although I did enjoy Trials HD), but I just don't see an 8.5 even through a different lens. I would put it somewhere between the abysmal scores it has received from other publications.

All that said, I sincerely hope everyone who purchases it has a great time with it and is happy with their decision!
Old 07-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #11
EA Game Changer

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGFOOT999
Agreed, but even with the price difference, I do not see it being as worthy of such a score as the show, or within .5 of NCAA 11 and NBA 2k11, especially with the strides those latter franchises made in one cycle.

Again, arcade games like this are not really my thing (Although I did enjoy Trials HD), but I just don't see an 8.5 even through a different lens. I would put it somewhere between the abysmal scores it has received from other publications.

All that said, I sincerely hope everyone who purchases it has a great time with it and is happy with their decision!
He is reviewing it as an arcade title though...Not a retail game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #12
The Legendary Roots Crew

Sublime12089's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev5890
He is reviewing it as an arcade title though...Not a retail game.
Again, I understand that and still respectfully disagree with the score.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

I am having more fun with this $15 arcade game than any $60 retail sports game to come out this year.

To each his/her own.

Personally, I miss the days when games could just be fun and we didn't automatically have to qualify everything as "sim" or "arcade" like one was a part of a bourgeoisie class and the other was doodoo for simpleton groundlings.

You will not lose IQ any points if you happen to have fun with this game. Heck, you might even have to strap on your thinking cap on to beat some of the later levels, as they are grueling tests of skill and creativity.

Each level in this game is like a puzzle you have to solve, and even after you find the answer, you still have to go out on the field and perform the solution under pressure from a frothing mad defense and a ticking clock.

Last edited by jyoung; 07-04-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47
Too bad this isn't coming out for PS3 users. That's a shame.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #15
Rookie

Tatguy80's Arena

OVR: 2
Just letting everyone know, that Backbreaker Vengeance is free right now, in the Apps store.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #16
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

8.5 for a glorified demo? Ohhhhh-kay.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »