Home

Backbreaker Vengeance Review

This is a discussion on Backbreaker Vengeance Review within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-05-2011, 12:50 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 10
tried the trial version. Not bad, was a big fan of vengeance mode
Old 07-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #18
Banned

Charleston_Tiger's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Backbreaker Vengeance Review

Nice review. Some of you are comparing apples to oranges though. $60 =/= $15.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #19
You know why I'm here...

jWILL253's Arena

OVR: 25
Not the best review I read. Is he reviewing the game, or is he daydreaming?
Old 07-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
You're comparing a downloadable arcade football game to a full-priced baseball game, that's your first mistake.
So there is a standard we arent aware of for video game reviews? We might as well loose the scores because they never add up to each other...never. If we don't even know what a 8.5 arcade version compares to, based off of regular reviews, your numbers might as well be 10's because they are useless. I dont see what difference a price is, or if it is downloadable or not makes on a review score. So you are saying this game is really a 4.5, but since its $15 and downloadable you will give it a 8.5? Im not trying to be a jerk, but this is major flawed and is a wasted review IMO.

Last edited by wheelman990; 07-05-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

What a game like MLB: The Show (8.5) is to "sim" sports games, Backbreaker: Vengeance (8.5) is to "arcade" games -- the best at its style of game.

They are two great video games, just different style.

Maybe you don't enjoy the arcade style, but that doesn't make the game bad.

Personally, I don't like MLB: The Show because I find baseball sims to be slow and boring, but I can still recognize the elements that make it a great game and appreciate it for what it is.

It's a shame that arcade sports games basically get treated as the Rodney Dangerfield of our industry:

Last edited by jyoung; 07-05-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

I have held off given my impressions of the game because I wanted to really get into it and get a good view of the game. I been playing it now for close to a week now. This is my honest impressions of the product.

Graphics - The graphics have received a noticeable improvement over the original full retail product. Lighting looks excellent and the player models have been tweaked to have better proportions. Great graphics and excellent little touches.

Presentation & Menu - The menu is extremely easy to navigate, is really clean, and pops off the screen nicely. On the presentation side of things, you have a some what dry presentation. I guess more resources went towards the actually gameplay and challenges than this area. It is not horrible but does feel a bit "empty" at times.

Sound - Sound effects are pretty good. They consist of your typical grunts, groans, and Agggs of tackles and contact. It sounds good, nothing to write home about as being amazing or anything but good.

Gameplay - The true heart and soul of the game. Well lets just say FUN AS ALL HELL!!! I think that is the jist of what Chad's review was also. The game is just flat out a blast to play! I have tend to play online the most and my first time touching the game was online. So the noticeable delay on inputs I did not even know was because of online, I just thought that is how it felt. But played my first time for several hours online just having a ball blasting others, juking guys out their shoes, hurdling tacklers, and making myself look like a idiot while I ran straight into walls without jumping lol.

In the end once I got use to the game, the mechanics of it, how the game modes function and so on. I must say if you have 15 bucks to spare, get the damn game. It is a blast to play, it really is. I really don't know what else needs to be said, yea it is a arcade based game and yea it is not extremely realistic. Clear your mind of those thoughts and go into the game with the mind set of old school gaming. "I am going to sit down and play this GAME and have a blast doing so". You will leave the game several hours later rethinking "How could i have done that challenge differently???" or "LOL WOW that was crazy!!!"

I know this was really short and not in-depth at all. Take it for what it is guys. A arcade game based around football that really came out FUN to play. Nothing wrong with that and takes nothing away from "sim" games.

Score = Lets do this a better route (Since some people don't like numbers)

B+

Last edited by Phobia; 07-05-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:05 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 10
After playing Vengeance, I want to see 505/Natural Motion give the 11-on-11 game another shot. The Euphoria engine is great and its too good NOT to make a football sim out of it.

Although Vengeance is short-lived fun, the modes get boring fast IMO.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGamerShow
After playing Vengeance, I want to see 505/Natural Motion give the 11-on-11 game another shot. The Euphoria engine is great and its too good NOT to make a football sim out of it.
Phobia is 'all sports all the time' and gives it a very high score of B+ (that's higher than the OS.com reviewer gave it for those keeping score at home).

Another all sports site gives it a 7.7.
http://www.ratesports.net/backbreaker-vengeance.html

I agree with SportsGamerShow, this fantastic engine is much improved and with some improvements to the current BB, the next great football game may be on the horizon.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »