Home

NHL 12 Video - Be a Pro Revamped

This is a discussion on NHL 12 Video - Be a Pro Revamped within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2011, 01:45 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: NHL 12 Video - Be a Pro Revamped

I really liked the video. I've never really gotten into BAP but like someone said in an earlier post, it makes me want to give it another try this year. Could just be the dramatic music. Anyway weren't we supposed to have news on Be A GM today and then news on BAP on the 22nd? I was really looking forward to hearing more about the BE A GM.

http://www.ea.com/nhl/1/nhl-12-hockey-whiteboard
Dallas Mavericks
Old 07-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 16
OK, I was very much on the fence with this game, but now looking at this I may very well have to break down and buy it. It would be great if there were "real life" choice and things that could impact how you turn out.

What are they going to do next year? Have you start in Pee Wee level and a kid and play all the way through retirement at 40 something?
Old 07-20-2011, 02:25 PM   #11
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29

It's all gonna depend on how well Teammate/Overall AI is in order for BAP to be something I'll consider. If all is good in that department it could be a fun mode. If not, I'll stick to BAGM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #12
Rookie

Mikey88's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaporub83
I'm not a huge hockey fan but I love the NHL series. How long are CHL seasons?
Time to get on board man.. how could you not be a fan of the NHL?
Old 07-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaporub83
I'm not a huge hockey fan but I love the NHL series. How long are CHL seasons?
70 Games for the OHL and QMJHL and 72 for the best league WHL. Playoffs are 4 round best of 7s and memorial cup is a 4 team round robin with single elimination playoff round semifinal and final games.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:02 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Debbie Downer coming at you, but that video showed me very little of what's been improved.
So now I can play a full career in the CHL (which I love).
I also can't dictate my ice-time (another great feature).
But I knew both of those things a month ago.

I want to hear how things have changed off the ice. Can I demand trades? Can I control press conferences (ala NBA2K11).
Are there any life choices I can make?
Will coaches demands be realistic?

There are a tonne of games that have very deep and satisfying career modes. BAP in the NHL series has been well behind all of them.

Please EA, show me some depth. Show me that after 3 years of the mode, you have more than 'earn ice time' and 'play more in the CHL'.

Debbie downers always ruin the party. sheesh.

Ok I guess your right we did know these things before so not a ton of new stuff. I like what they are highlighting here though it sounds good.

I think the goals during gameplay are a cool addition and the CHL for me is the huge selling point to get me back onto this game mode. But I also prefer WHL hockey to NHL hockey anyways so I probably am biased. I am sure that you aren't required to play the CHL if you select start at NHL so everyone can be happy.

Some of the stuff you ask about I see a lot and really is just fluff. I think the ability to ask for trades would be cool, like The Show does, I asked 100 hundred times for a trade from the Red Sox after I got tired of playing for them and wanted a change and by the time I had started asking they told me I was too good. I never got traded. But the other stuff like press conferences (ala NBA 2k) I really get bored of fast. I want my be a pro to be focused on the player development product. Kind of like how NCAA does its mode with the practice time earning points to spend on attribute enhancements, that might be an away from game thing that would be ok. The idea of making life choices I don't get. Pull a Brett Sutter and get in a bar fight? Or Become a total jerk like Dany Heatley has managed to do over the years? I don't really see where that has a place in the game. NASCAR used to have that sign autographs mini game to build up fans and it was cool twice and then I got sick of the autograph signing mini game button mash. There isn't a great way to do off ice things without it becoming redundant and boring.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #15
MVP

Blaze125's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Anyone else laugh at the player's name? Ahhhh, don't we all remember the storied career of "NHL" -- the man with the 3 initial last name who could only be groomed to do one thing: play in the NHL.
Yeah, gotta love that name haha. Imagine if he had failed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
It's all gonna depend on how well Teammate/Overall AI is in order for BAP to be something I'll consider. If all is good in that department it could be a fun mode. If not, I'll stick to BAGM.
Agreed. The one thing that holds me back from all these Be a Pro gametypes are the fact that my teammates always suck. I play it for a week then get frustrated at watching them make awful plays. If this is improved, hopefully it'll hold me over enough to give me a nice break from Be a GM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiev
Debbie downers always ruin the party. sheesh.

Ok I guess your right we did know these things before so not a ton of new stuff. I like what they are highlighting here though it sounds good.

I think the goals during gameplay are a cool addition and the CHL for me is the huge selling point to get me back onto this game mode. But I also prefer WHL hockey to NHL hockey anyways so I probably am biased. I am sure that you aren't required to play the CHL if you select start at NHL so everyone can be happy.

Some of the stuff you ask about I see a lot and really is just fluff. I think the ability to ask for trades would be cool, like The Show does, I asked 100 hundred times for a trade from the Red Sox after I got tired of playing for them and wanted a change and by the time I had started asking they told me I was too good. I never got traded. But the other stuff like press conferences (ala NBA 2k) I really get bored of fast. I want my be a pro to be focused on the player development product. Kind of like how NCAA does its mode with the practice time earning points to spend on attribute enhancements, that might be an away from game thing that would be ok. The idea of making life choices I don't get. Pull a Brett Sutter and get in a bar fight? Or Become a total jerk like Dany Heatley has managed to do over the years? I don't really see where that has a place in the game. NASCAR used to have that sign autographs mini game to build up fans and it was cool twice and then I got sick of the autograph signing mini game button mash. There isn't a great way to do off ice things without it becoming redundant and boring.
I understand your points. But if you don't give enough off-ice elements, then it's really no different than simply creating a custom player and playing with player-lock.

When I hear BE A PRO I want everything that encompasses what being a pro is all about.
Money, contracts, fame, agents, rifts in locker room, etc.
For example, they show "NHL" becoming the captain of the Lightning. Big deal.
Other than having a 'C' on your jersey, what good is it.
Is that going to help make more money? Will I have to speak to coaches on behalf of players? Stop squabbles in the dressing room? Will I get stripped of it if I don't perform well, or decrease in player attributes?
These are the kinds of things I'd love to see.

If people get bored with this, then you can skip through it or simply create yourself and play them like everyone else.
But if you're going to add a mode like BE A PRO then let us live the life AS A PRO.
All of it.

Let me have the opportunity to get bored of press conferences, partying, buying cars, demanding trades, firing agents, getting in tiff with coaches or teammates or even getting married and having kids.
I'd rather have the option of getting bored of these things than not having them at all.

Last edited by Money99; 07-20-2011 at 06:14 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »