Home

Yet Another Jordan Comeback?

This is a discussion on Yet Another Jordan Comeback? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Yet Another Jordan Comeback?

What are they going to do next? How are they going to top it next year? Who’s going to be on the NBA 2K12 cover?

These were all questions the basketball-gaming world was asking after the huge success that was NBA 2K11. Today, after an elaborate Twitter marketing scheme, one of those questions were answered. The cover athlete -- or should I say athletes -- were revealed for NBA 2K12.

Read More - Yet Another Jordan Comeback?
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / PC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Yet Another Jordan Comeback?

Huge nonononono for Griffin, that dude plain sucks, unbelievably underrated and not exciting at all. Nice comparisement to VC - both somewhat suck, both are very athletic and both started at terrible teams. Plus, he doesn't have soul
Old 07-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 10

I really doubt this game will be Jordan-centric like last year's game was. 2k found that alot of people really dug the classic squads that were included and seem really keen on exploring that premise. As more classic teams become unveiled I expect excitement to rise, not taper or fall.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

I suppose there are a few more challenges we can get from the Jordan mode. The only ones I can think of are the 93 Finals, and his revenge series against the Magic.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

As I've said previously, I'm A-O.K. with the covers unveiled today. To me they signify a deeper look into basketball's past (in addition to maintaining the current teams). I don't really view such inclusions of historic teams as some kind of gimmick, so I thereby would not be a big fan of just "going in a different direction" for the sake of going somewhere different. It is my feeling that classic teams should be further explored. And with a lockout looming, and with how awesome those three greats are, I find these covers to be excellent choices.

If the cover were a current player, it'd really signify nothing to me. When Carmelo was on NBA Live '05, it didn't really tell me anything about the game. When KG came to 2K, same deal. However, having three legends representing 2K tells me something about the game. I like that. And in fact, I'd view such cover selections as anything but stale. Stale to me is just throwing on whoever's hot at the moment. I wouldn't be upset with a current player cover, because I don't really care about who gets shine, but I do care when a cover seems to insinuate a feature I would seem to be very interested in (increased classic presence).

And in regards to Michael Jordan's contract extension with 2K, I'm not sure he has to be featured every single year. To be honest, it's cool enough just to have him available as a playable character. The "Jordaning" of 2K11 was an awesome experience, but I'm not sure anyone's expecting that same thing over and over. He arrived to next-gen basketball gaming with a boom, and now hopefully he'll be able to stay a while. I was actually worried that 2K11 would have been his only year on the game. I'm certainly glad it won't be.

Last edited by VDusen04; 07-21-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
As I've said previously, I'm A-O.K. with the covers unveiled today. To me they signify a deeper look into basketball's past (in addition to maintaining the current teams). I don't really view such inclusions of historic teams as some kind of gimmick, so I thereby would not be a big fan of just "going in a different direction" for the sake of going somewhere different. It is my feeling that classic teams should be further explored. And with a lockout looming, and with how awesome those three greats are, I find these covers to be excellent choices.

If the cover were a current player, it'd really signify nothing to me. When Carmelo was on NBA Live '05, it didn't really tell me anything about the game. When KG came to 2K, same deal. However, having three legends representing 2K tells me something about the game. I like that. And in fact, I'd view such cover selections as anything but stale. Stale to me is just throwing on whoever's hot at the moment. I wouldn't be upset with a current player cover, because I don't really care about who gets shine, but I do care when a cover seems to insinuate a feature I would seem to be very interested in (increased classic presence).
Yes indeed.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Just my observation it seems like their going to the well one more time instead of being innovative. But once info starts to be released hopefully sanity returns. Who cares about a cover. Nobody plays with the box(if you so you have some serious issues LOL).

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 8
I personally think this is a good move by 2K. The NBA is in lockout, and the use of current players may bring a negative emotional response as it brings immediate thoughts of the lockout and possible loss of NBA basketball this season.

However, by using past legends it brings an emotion of nostalgia. Of a thought (whether right or wrong) of NBA when it was more pure or better or whatever. It's a potential positive thought rather than a potential negative thought.

I'm a BIG BIG hopeful fan of historic recreation in sports video games. It's more fun for me to change the course of history rather than to predict the future at times. I always seem to tire in a dynasty when it gets to year e.g. 2019 and onwards when stars are declining and new random players are growing. But imagine starting at 2003 and changing the course of history, how would YOUR NBA look in 2011 if you could change things and watch players grow.

Maybe this season 2K will focus and really highlight the historic stuff, featuring new challenges and greater choice of different era play. The 70s/80s/90s and 00s.

And then in 2K13, when the NBA is back in full force, then 2K will blow us all away and refocus on the NBA today, whilst having already set a benchmark for historic sports gaming.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »