Home

Yet Another Jordan Comeback?

This is a discussion on Yet Another Jordan Comeback? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #17
Rookie

MrSimCity's Arena

OVR: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by whizer17
I agree 100%. How can you claim to be a fan of the NBA and not want to experience and enjoy some of the history that made it what it is today?

For some reason that article just really annoyed me. I mean Griffin really? Apparently ChaseB you have no real love of the game and no sense of history. I hope 2k doesn't look to your opinion in shaping their games.
I wrote this...not Chase.

I grew up in and on this "past" you refer to, and as a hoops fan, there's no other period I enjoyed more. Just because I don't like the marketing direction for this year's cover doesn't mean I'm not a fan of the past. Some elements of the past and basketball's history should be in these games REGARDLESS of who's on the cover.

But this piece was mainly about the marketing of the game -- neither you nor I know exactly what they have in store in terms of how they implement Magic & Bird into NBA2K12. Even though if I had to guess, it won't be to the extent of Jordan's integration in NBA2K11 since the Magic & Bird covers are only limited editions. My fear is the creative team rested on it's laurels and went with what already worked last year and threw in Magic & Bird as collectors items.

The game's past and history is great, and should be in the game regardless of the cover. But given the success this present NBA had with last season, why not come up with a creative idea with today's stars? Just my thoughts.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #18
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65
Re: Yet Another Jordan Comeback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSimCity
But given the success this present NBA had with last season, why not come up with a creative idea with today's stars? Just my thoughts.

right... I can see the alternative now...

NBA 2k12 includes BRAND NEW modes!

**includes**

Lockout 2.0

Join another superstar then lose

Make the coach poke you in the chest during a timeout

Win 65 games then lose in the first round

trade your star player but only after half the season

and the best of all call the ref obscene names from the bench to get fined!

Sounds great come to think about it
Old 07-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23

**includes**

Lockout 2.0

On one hand, to reiterate, I love the cover choices this year. First, from a personal standpoint (because it seems to insinuate more classic work is to come). And second, from a logical standpoint, because it seems to be a sound choice to make given the lockout. It's just a fitting puzzle piece.

However, to be fair, there's always been issues in the NBA. The MJ edition could have just as well come with a gambling mode and the ability to call out your teammates during drills by manipulating the right bumper in conjunction with Y.

Or Magic Mode could feature draft picks who choose to play for only teams of their choice while eventually providing the opportunity for players to enter ultimatums to the front office to fire the coach or trade them.

Or in honor of the return of 80's basketball, "cocaine addiction" could be listed as a new injury.

And that's not to say the MJ's or anyone in the 80's were horrible people. Rather, I'm just saying players and stars who aren't perfect is nothing new. I feel sometimes, current generations get the brunt of accusations like this. The same accusations were there in the 90's too when Derrick Coleman was coming along. Each era has their issues.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:52 PM   #20
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23

**includes**

Lockout 2.0

LOL

Everything was hilarious, except the bolded part. Plus, the Spurs won 61 games and lost in the first-round not the 65 you claimed.

Even if 2K uses old footage and current players, as they did with 2K11, the marketability of Bird, Johnson and Jordan surpasses every current player in the NBA. They are considered the "holy trinity" of NBA basketball to many people around the world. Even I as die-hard Spur fan, but life-long Magic Johnson fan, am pumped to buy the Magic limited edition cover. They can do many creative things with their marketing and still not have Bird, Johnson or Jordan directly involved.

Official OS Bills Backers Club Member

Last edited by J_Posse; 07-21-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:56 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 10

"Resting on their laurels" aside from being lazy would also be fairly stupid. This is the last year they have the market to themselves. If they go about things the right EA's game will just be an interesting footnote next year. The last thing they need to do is leave the door cracked by being obviously lazy.

We dont know how much they've expanded the classic elements of the game but it seems like their making a pretty big push to really blow things out. That should help them retain the folks who came on board for the classic stuff. I cant see them neglecting gamplay issues just because they can.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2011, 11:02 PM   #22
Roster Editor

jd@os's Arena

OVR: 21

"Everything Jordan touches should be gold, and by most accounts, NBA 2K11 certainly was. But I fear 2K Sports might not be able to keep up that level of excellence for the remaining years of Jordan’s 2K tenure -- and as a result, could tarnish the legend of NBA 2K11."

Huh? So 2K shouldn't try to top itself with 2K12?

What that guy wants from 2K: Hey guys--we had a great game with 2K11 and we're gonna have a hard time topping it so let's just put a current player on the cover.

What WE want from 2K: Hey guys--we had a great game with 2K11 and we're gonna top it. We had the GOAT on the greatest video game last year; let's put the GOAT on it again because THIS year will be the greatest video game!

That write-up makes you want to punch something then face palm.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:22 PM   #23
Rookie

MrSimCity's Arena

OVR: 15
Everyone has their own opinions, feel free to share.

But the notion that "hey, MJ was a great cover last year, so let's do it again this year" from a marketing standpoint to me isn't very fresh.

People would be up in arms if this was any other player besides MJ that had two covers in a row. That whole Iverson back to back to back cover thing won't fly in today's world, people would call it stale.

To me, sequels are just never quite the original, especially when dealing with things of nostalgic value.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:27 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 10
I strongly disagree with that article. As long as 2K is still focused, your not stopping them. How many times have those questions of "How they going to top last years game?", and etc been brought up and time after time after time (11+ yrs) have they delivered on not only answering the criticism but surpassing expectations?
I like the move of three great players on their covers. Jordan, Bird, Magic...shoot all they missing is Isaiah Thomas lol. I say they bring out the 1990 Dream Team!

I'm not worried about 2K Sports being lazy or taking plays off. They are a humble company in my opinion. They are not sitting on EA money, they are hungry. Matter of fact I don't believe money is the reason why they do things the way they do things. Of course they make games for money bc they have to live but I believe they truly want to bring the ppl/fans the closest experience to sports as possible. This is why I can't wait till they get another crack at the NFL license.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »