Home

NHL 12 Video - Anticipation AI

This is a discussion on NHL 12 Video - Anticipation AI within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NHL 12 Video - Anticipation AI

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: NHL 12 Video - Anticipation AI

On the offensive side, it's looking solid, no doubt about that. The way Ovechkin reacts and the way Mike Green got the puck up recognizing it, it's good.

Again, NHL is always about the same problem. Defense as no reaction whatsoever. On the first clip, while the puck is dumped in the corner, you can see Brooks Orpik with good placement while Kris Letang is going toward the right side. Letang is just at the red line.

Well, if Ovechkin can recognize that Green is going to get the puck, someone can tell me what Letang is doing so that Ovechkin can skates in the neutral zone, untouched, and on a breakaway?

If Defense had, and I don't call for anticipation, but for christ sake, normal intelligence, then Letang would have just skate toward the red line (instead of going to take his place at the blue line just like he is) and have a nice 1 on 1 at the Pens blue line.

The second part is worse than the first part. First clip, Keith as a step on the guys chasing him, so even if Zetterberg anticipate the pass to the wing, no way is getting there. Then, on the NHL 12 anticipation AI, Zetterberg is going off Sharp to cut a pass because the freaking Wings forecheck force him toward the board (instead of center) and instead of flipping it to the glass, he tries a bomb in the middle. Not to mention that while Zetterberg react, both Wings defenseman are standing still just like in NHL 11.

And they say in the video that Defense is as much important as Offense? Are they taking me for an idiot or what? I just hope that we don't see the same crap from the AI D in NHL 12, because it would be inexcusable.

EA, a defenseman in hockey isn't just a guy patroling behind forwards and taking care of the front of the net. Go watch some clips of Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque and Larry Robinson...

Rant over!
Old 07-25-2011, 11:20 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

inexcusable? really? we are talking about millions of possible actions, interactions, and reactions. as the game is now, it has pretty solid ai. could it be better, you bet. but you act like they arent trying to make the ai better. maybe it wont work maybe it will. cant wait to find out.

having said all that, theres no way to know what happened after the wide shot. it looks to me like letang was in good position prior to the break out, so i would guess that that is a composite shot so that the goal is from a different play than the wide shot.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:47 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2
I liked what I saw. It's hard to judge the first clip because they don't let it play out from the same angle to see what happens after Green gets the puck. They could very well have taken the Ovechkin breakaway from a different play altogether and added it to the end for some "sizzle". Otherwise, why wouldn't they have just let the whole thing play out from that angle?

The second clip was good. Wings forecheck forces him towards the boards, as they should, to try and take away his space. Then he fires it up the middle. Is it the correct hockey play? No. Is it a play that happens all the time in real life? Absolutely. Guys panic and try to force things they shouldn't. He tries to fire it up the middle. Zetterberg sees it and picks it off for a neutral zone turnover. The best offensive chances from the rush are usually created by turnovers like this.

I don't understand complaining about the Wings defensemen on that play. As the pass is coming they are moving to close down on their defender. They aren't going to try and step up and intercept it themselves if the forward is moving towards it. They have to hang back as the Hawks forwards are already at their blue line.

I'll be interested to see how this works in other situations around the ice, but this looks promising.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:38 AM   #5
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

First off...my perspective is nearly always from the view point of off-line play vs the AI....

As far as any concerns about the possibility of the defensive AI being in '12', as it was in '11', simply being too passive...I can forgive that being the case I guess with default settings. Believing that most people more than likely want a fast paced up and down type of play. Rather than a more grinding, physical battle, just to get into a decent scoring position. Ie...closer to real life NHL hockey.

Myself, I'm willing to play with the longer period lengths it would take to get realistic scores and stats, if we were provided with say aggression sliders that would truly bring a more sim-like gameplay. While others understandably, aren't. All I really ask outta the game is to provide us the options through the game settings to get the gameplay each of us prefer. Arcade or simulation. Or something in between.

Oh by the way....the video looked pretty good. Rammer mentioned about the defense, I'm sure hoping the "D" does in deed get it's fair shake.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2011, 08:22 AM   #6
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0wntime
inexcusable? really? we are talking about millions of possible actions, interactions, and reactions. as the game is now, it has pretty solid ai. could it be better, you bet. but you act like they arent trying to make the ai better. maybe it wont work maybe it will. cant wait to find out.

having said all that, theres no way to know what happened after the wide shot. it looks to me like letang was in good position prior to the break out, so i would guess that that is a composite shot so that the goal is from a different play than the wide shot.
My grief is all about AI downtime, not about the millions of interaction. Pretty solid AI? Ok, go do something. Go play a game as a goalie in BaP and tell me after that the AI is pretty solid. I'm eager to know what you will think about it.

Letang is in good position, and everything's fine if he is staying at the red line, knowing that Oveckin (that's anticipation, knowing that Ovechkin won't get deep in the defensive zone, but will look for the breakaway) is turning it up.

And if you read me well, I was happy with the video as far as anticipation for the forwards. What I don't like so far, and that's in every clip of EA, is the fact that D-man seems to only be orange cones on the ice.

I guess I'll know what the game is all about in september.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
Pro

jaiman's Arena

OVR: 5

I really hope that broadcast view shown during the defensive part of NHL 12 is playable. It looks much better than the one in 11.

EDIT: Nevermind, Chase just confirmed in the NHL 12 Info thread that the broadcast camera is essentially the same as last years. So much for staying "authentic to the game".

Last edited by jaiman; 07-26-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBeaule04
Letang is in good position, and everything's fine if he is staying at the red line, knowing that Oveckin (that's anticipation, knowing that Ovechkin won't get deep in the defensive zone, but will look for the breakaway) is turning it up.
I don't think you can judge anything on that. The breakaway could just be a canned thing to make the video more interesting. We never even really see the player positioning after the pass.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »