Home

NHL 12 Video - Anticipation AI

This is a discussion on NHL 12 Video - Anticipation AI within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #9
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

OVR: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
I don't think you can judge anything on that. The breakaway could just be a canned thing to make the video more interesting. We never even really see the player positioning after the pass.
Let's call that Anticipation customer!

I had nothing wrong to say before NHL 11 because I was trusting EA. I know there's people who like the game and have fun with it. Unless I'm playing online or with controls of all players on the ice, I had no fun with that game and was really feeling cheated by EA's effort.

So, for NHL 12, maybe I'm anticipating bugs, glitches and so on, that way, I won't have deception if it's the case. For some, I maybe overreacting, but anyone playing BaP goalie in NHL 11 coudln't disagree with the AI dumbness.

Like I say, maybe I should just lay back and wait to see in september.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #10
Banned

mondoguitar's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: NHL 12 Video - Anticipation AI

Why is EA saying this is a "new video" released June 25th. This exact video was released weeks ago. In that video they discussed "dynamic goaltending", "full contact physics" and "Anticipation AI"... this is just the one clip from that informational video and it's EXACTLY the same.

Last edited by mondoguitar; 07-26-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:22 AM   #11
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBeaule04
Let's call that Anticipation customer!

I had nothing wrong to say before NHL 11 because I was trusting EA. I know there's people who like the game and have fun with it. Unless I'm playing online or with controls of all players on the ice, I had no fun with that game and was really feeling cheated by EA's effort.

So, for NHL 12, maybe I'm anticipating bugs, glitches and so on, that way, I won't have deception if it's the case. For some, I maybe overreacting, but anyone playing BaP goalie in NHL 11 coudln't disagree with the AI dumbness.

Like I say, maybe I should just lay back and wait to see in september.
I'm very finicky when it comes to AI and I feel NHL 11 does a solid job. Could it be improved? Of course (what AI couldn't). I don't play goalie though so that could just be a unique thing. BAP always has some different AI issues that come up from time to time. The D will definitely wander and do random things, but that happens in real hockey too. I play either D myself or Center and on all-star the CPU D does a solid job against me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBeaule04
My grief is all about AI downtime, not about the millions of interaction. Pretty solid AI? Ok, go do something. Go play a game as a goalie in BaP and tell me after that the AI is pretty solid. I'm eager to know what you will think about it.

Letang is in good position, and everything's fine if he is staying at the red line, knowing that Oveckin (that's anticipation, knowing that Ovechkin won't get deep in the defensive zone, but will look for the breakaway) is turning it up.

And if you read me well, I was happy with the video as far as anticipation for the forwards. What I don't like so far, and that's in every clip of EA, is the fact that D-man seems to only be orange cones on the ice.

I guess I'll know what the game is all about in september.
my point was simply that you, like others, treat game developers like the worse people in the world if they get AI wrong. programming AI has got to be one of the hardest thing for anyone to do. i cant even imagine how they get sprites to do the things that i see them do in nhl 11, let alone what they are saying they will do in nhl 12.

i never said that the ai was perfect. there is a lot more that i would like to see. but i am not going to lambast the devs for falling short.

finally, as i and a lot of other people have pointed out that you still are unwilling to concede, it seems pretty obvious that that ovechkin clip consists of three incongruent clips, not one long play. the only angle that shows a defender on screen, is the one where all the defensemen are in a good defensive position.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #13
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondoguitar
Why is EA saying this is a "new video" released June 25th. This exact video was released weeks ago. In that video they discussed "dynamic goaltending", "full contact physics" and "Anticipation AI"... this is just the one clip from that informational video and it's EXACTLY the same.
Ok so I'm not crazy?
Old 07-26-2011, 01:00 PM   #14
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0wntime
my point was simply that you, like others, treat game developers like the worse people in the world if they get AI wrong. programming AI has got to be one of the hardest thing for anyone to do. i cant even imagine how they get sprites to do the things that i see them do in nhl 11, let alone what they are saying they will do in nhl 12.

i never said that the ai was perfect. there is a lot more that i would like to see. but i am not going to lambast the devs for falling short.

finally, as i and a lot of other people have pointed out that you still are unwilling to concede, it seems pretty obvious that that ovechkin clip consists of three incongruent clips, not one long play. the only angle that shows a defender on screen, is the one where all the defensemen are in a good defensive position.
Ok, let's say I'm making assumption out of incomplete clips. Let's say I'm expecting AI Defense (because the point is that AI isn't all bad in NHL 11, but AI Defense is pure s...) to be as bad from what I see so far. On offense, it's not that bad, but there's issues that makes the game really frustrating.

In all honesty, can you tell me it's acceptable for devs to let go these four things in NHL 11 :
- AI D pinning themselves on the board while there's no pressure around them
- AI D backing, backing, backing until the goalie as the nose in their ***
- AI FWD stopping at the blue line while he can hit the zone
- AI FWD with the puck on a 2 on 1 or 2 on 0, going to the corner

I can live with the AI decision making in some part, nothing as to be perfect. But when you ship a product out on the market and you don't notice these problems I saw in my first 3 game as a BaP on All-Star as a goalie, excuse me then to be a bit sarcastic about EA's dev team work.

Oh, and to be fairly honest, you know when I started to threat EA's dev like the worse people in the world? The time their head chief came to us saying NHL 11 was tested over and over to avoid major lapses in gameplay while we found out that they took us for idiots.

If NHL 12 is good on the AI side and improve like they advertise, I promise I'll be the first to come on here and praise the dev team. Until then, like I say, excuse me to be a bit sarcastic since I don't like to be taken for an idiot.

Oh, and NHL 11 is still a good game! Just imagine what it would be if it was tested! :-)

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »