Home

NHL 12 Video - Loose Puck on Slapshots

This is a discussion on NHL 12 Video - Loose Puck on Slapshots within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2011, 12:24 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: NHL 12 Video - Loose Puck on Slapshots

Yeap with this I think you can say bye-bye to slapshots on OTP..
Old 07-30-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
Pro

SGMRock's Arena

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cup4blues
Overall I think it's a good thing but it seems like a half-assed fix for collision detection and will probably have some unintended consequences. If collision detection in this game worked and the puck/sticks didn't clip through skates/sticks/legs/arms//boards/the ice/goalie pads/pretty much everything that could be hit, it would make for a much more loose and unpredictable game and figure skating forwards would be wiped out completely. Real collision detection.....sigh.....a man can dream cant he?
That would be cool to have that but I think that all the additional calculations that would add to the game would be too much for current gen hardware. I really expect a lot out of this game when the next gen consoles come out. They could do it on the PC now if they wanted but EA Sports gave up on us PC games long ago. When you look at how awesome BF3 is looking on the PC with DX11 and Frostbite 2's full physics engine it makes you wonder was a NHL game would look like on a top end PC. Remembering the days when NHL 97 and 98 on the PC looked light years ahead of the same years console versions..... Oh well one can dream.

Last edited by SGMRock; 07-30-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
Canadian eh?

SinisterAlex's Arena

OVR: 24

Why are you guys whining about slap shots being ruined for OTP? You just have to take the slap shot right away instead of holding your wind up for 30 seconds....

How many times have you seen an NHL player hold a slap shot like they do in NHL 11 anyway? I say never.

These slap shots look great. OTP/EASHL will be fine. Every little thing that's come out regarding NHL 12, people just complain and whine about it.... Sure sticks may still go through bodies and such, but the amount of small, but VERY important improvements to gameplay mechanics alone, make this game 100x better than NHL 11.

I remember when they switched the manual passing for online, everyone complained because they weren't used to it. This will be the same thing. Everyone will complain how they can't take slap shots, but once they learn the "sweet spot" and good positions to take a slap shot, everyone's opinion will change.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #12
Rookie

HawkeyMediaPlus's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck
Yeap with this I think you can say bye-bye to slapshots on OTP..
Or this means you can say bye-bye to unrealistic slap cheese shots in OTP. Nothing is worse than taking away the forwards space and then he turns around instantaneously and takes a perfect slap shot top corner.

The worst part about it was that the people who took realistic slapshots were punished by the slap cheesers. Remember when the game first came out you could get good slap shots from the point and the speed seemed pretty realistic. Well then they tuned it down because of the cheesers and the sim players were punished.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:28 PM   #13
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

At first, I guess I kinda ho-hummed about what I saw in the video.

But after a bit more thought...the puck not being tied to the animation, may very well make a real nice impact on the gameplay as a whole. That is assuming the puck is also not tied to other animations as well. Meaning, not just while attempting slap shots.

However, anything to make things more "loose", less predictable, is very welcome. Can't wait to play this thing on 9/13!
Old 07-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 10

Don't get me wrong.. it's a great additon to the gameplay and should be fun for offline. Also the "insta-spin" slapshot being gone is great too (hopefully they got rid of it for the wrist-shots as well). However, here's the scenario I could see for the EASHL:

People will have their 99 checking/strength tanks or their 5'7 waterbugs who will either knock people over or just plain steal the puck when the defensemen or anyone else wind up for a shot. So nobody will be taking slapshots as that will turn into in an instant loss of posession or turnover. Playing D in OTP is boring enough as it is already, unless you're some drunk guy with a legend card who thinks he's the second coming of Mike Green.

Now mind you I've never played in a serious club so this might be policed up in house by other teams in the league, or maybe EA will nerf some of the attributes/sliders to even the playing field again. On a related note, any news about maybe tweaking the one-timers? So your guy isn't winding up for a one timer as he slides into the boards in the puck is no where close to him?
Old 07-30-2011, 08:08 PM   #15
Banned

Rogie Vachon's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by speels
I really like this for offline!! Like cups said though, this may cause troubles online.
Online,.....anything to reduce the overpowered attackers powers is good as far as us goalies are concerned.

Especially when we goalies have the same lag to deal with.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2011, 11:35 AM   #16
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck
Don't get me wrong.. it's a great additon to the gameplay and should be fun for offline. Also the "insta-spin" slapshot being gone is great too (hopefully they got rid of it for the wrist-shots as well). However, here's the scenario I could see for the EASHL:

People will have their 99 checking/strength tanks or their 5'7 waterbugs who will either knock people over or just plain steal the puck when the defensemen or anyone else wind up for a shot. So nobody will be taking slapshots as that will turn into in an instant loss of posession or turnover. Playing D in OTP is boring enough as it is already, unless you're some drunk guy with a legend card who thinks he's the second coming of Mike Green.

Now mind you I've never played in a serious club so this might be policed up in house by other teams in the league, or maybe EA will nerf some of the attributes/sliders to even the playing field again. On a related note, any news about maybe tweaking the one-timers? So your guy isn't winding up for a one timer as he slides into the boards in the puck is no where close to him?
I get what you're saying about it being difficult to get off a slapper, but it comes down to having time & space and making a good decision. I know you know this, but if the d-man is under pressure, he shouldn't go for a slapper. The problem is more in how quickly skaters can change direction and scramble all over the D-zone once skating attributes are jacked up, meaning time and space are often far too limited.

Good point about the delayed one-timer animation... one of my bigger pet peeves. I spend a lot of time around the net in EASHL play and I see it constantly when going for rebounds. I don't remember it being like that in previous versions, at least not in that situation and to that extent.

Last edited by Qb; 08-01-2011 at 11:39 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »