Home

UFC Undisputed 3 Trailer - Step Inside

This is a discussion on UFC Undisputed 3 Trailer - Step Inside within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
UFC Undisputed 3 Trailer - Step Inside

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2011, 11:10 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63
Re: UFC Undisputed 3 Trailer - Step Inside

I will be honest, I am really really worried about UFC 3. UFC 2010 went down a horrible road and no attempt to right the ship was attempted to fix the AI or heavy punch gameplay. You would think a tuner or patch could of corrected much of those issues but it was never done.

Then these real vague videos are not helping UFC 3 look like it is on the right track. It comes off as if there is fear of showing because people will go "It looks the exact same". Also the animations look so rigid still. The last frame with the guy standing over finishing fight has that dramatic Left arm punch, PAUSE, Right arm punch, PAUSE, Left arm punch, PAUSE, right arm punch. It still looks robotic and does not have the fluidity you would hope for.

Now if the gameplay comes back like 09 and better. I will be in heaven again, over 500 fights online in 09. I think i have 60 total in 10.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:36 AM   #3
Rookie

The Visualizer's Arena

OVR: 6

I'm not as worried about the standup as you are, from the QA videos they put out, it seems they at least realize why a lot of people were turned off from 2010, and they are making some effort to change this by making regular quick punches useful to be able to link into real combos & more importantly to interrupt all the heavy haymakers thrown.

My problem is with what I've seen with the ground game, I still play 2010 a lot with my buddy and once you hit the ground it's pretty much a counter fest. There isn't any risk/reward to attempting counters or even transitions to keep your opponent honest, and there is little to no skill needed to time it, you can pretty much just keep mashing counter and reverse everything with even fighters with crappy ground games once you figure out how to time it. From one of the gameplay videos that leaked, it looks like nothing has changed. 2 human players were just reversing each other back and forth on the ground.

And the change to the "shine" submission system looks almost as bad as a big GUI pops up on the screen and you have to follow your opponents "dot" around a maze to lock in a submisssion, looks ******** and it takes up the whole screen.

I'm just disappointed that they didn't make more wholesale changes as EA MMA brought some cool ideas to the table, and the UFC team has had an extra year of dev time to really bring us a new gameplay experience, and to me it looks like not much important has changed, they are basically slapping Pride Mode on the box and calling it a day...

Old 08-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 4

For the standup part - this game needs one big thing it's lacking. The ability to scramble backwards when being attacked. All you can do is block and backup slowly. It'd be nice if you could basically scramble backwards after getting hit, or while being hit, so that you can avoid further attacks.

What I'd really like to see is a game where being hit clean can really hurt - and none of this head damage crap. Something where being hit clean by a guy like Carwin often means eating dust... But they need far more defensive options so that really hitting a guy cleanly isn't such an easy thing. That's my problem with the standup. It's like Street Fighter where you have an invisible health bar and when that bar is gone, your fighter gets KO'd. That needs to go away.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

The game gets the big "Wait and See" label. Randomness is desperately needed. That is what put EA MMA so far ahead of UFC 2010.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTFUNDAMENTALZ
The game gets the big "Wait and See" label. Randomness is desperately needed. That is what put EA MMA so far ahead of UFC 2010.

Randomness is a big hole in the UFC series. Every single move leads to the same reaction or result every single time. I'd love to see a variation in take down defenses, rocked states, transitions, reversals, etc. For example, if I reverse an attempt to get from mount-down to mount-up, my fighter ALWAYS ends up pushing my opponent up and into full guard-top.

It'd be nice if ratings had some bearing and if there was a plethora of animations that kicked in based on ratings and attributes. So sometimes the reverse would be stuffed back down if my fighter was too tired, or maybe it would result in shrimping out and scrambling to my feet.

The game feels canned, and that's how I managed to be so good with UFC 2009. Every position only had certain positions in resulted in, and attempting something always resulted in the same result, so I was basically able to just follow the flow to get to where I wanted every single time unless the other fighter was good enough to know the flow, too. Meth was the only guy I ever really had problems with in that game because he knew this too.

Randomness is exactly what this game needs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »