Home

Rugby World Cup 2011 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

This is a discussion on Rugby World Cup 2011 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here within the All Other Sports forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #9
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Rugby World Cup 2011 (360, PS3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
Demo is pretty mediocre. Gameplay is similar to '06 and '08, but I can't get a real feel for the game with it being on easy and being so short. Looks like the visuals aren't quite up to Rugby Challenge's standard, but it's still and upgrade over last gen.
I agree, its really hard to guage how the full game will play but i had fun for a couple halves till i got the controls down and started killing the cpu.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #10
Rookie

tjung0831's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Rugby World Cup 2011 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3veron
Wooho! Thanks tjung for that confirmation! Gonna definitely buy that on the PSN!

Ok as for my impressions on the PS3 demo:

Feels like an HD version of Rugby 08. Now since I loved that, it's not a bad thing. However, I did expect a bit more of an upgrade. Seriously same animations?! The Rugby football physics are spot on on the plus side and the commentary sounded fantastic.

Since I am a huge Rugby fan, this is abut for me but I will also keep my eye on RC.
I haven't played a rugby since the 2006 version on Xbox and that was possibly my all time favorite sports game. This definitely feels similar but it's a definite upgrade so I'm very happy that this is going to be released for us here in the states. We've had to wait to long for another rugby game...I'm pretty pumped. If we can just get some good news on Rugby Challenge having a North American release then it will be even better.

Tim
Old 08-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #11
All Star

Stormyhog's Arena

OVR: 15

I enjoyed the demo even though it's on the easy difficulty. I own Rugby 08 so I felt pretty comfortable as the controls are basically the same. Had to get used to the camera as I usually don't play with that one but I got used to it pretty quick. Looking forward to the final product.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #12
All Star

Jonesy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
Demo is pretty mediocre. Gameplay is similar to '06 and '08, but I can't get a real feel for the game with it being on easy and being so short. Looks like the visuals aren't quite up to Rugby Challenge's standard, but it's still and upgrade over last gen.
This. Pretty ordinary considering it has been 3 years and there are still a lot of recycled animations etc.

I'd probably buy it used if it was the only rugby game being released but seeing as there is alternative I won't be getting this i don't think. Just another cash grab imo with little replay value outside of playing against friends...
Old 08-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #13
L.A. to S.D. to HI

Boltman's Arena

OVR: 34

I downloaded and played it. It beats playing 06 on my 360 slim.

I'll but it when it comes out but I will get challenge as well.

Controls exactly like 06.

Better than nothing at all is what I'll say.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #14
L.A. to S.D. to HI

Boltman's Arena

Someone posted this over at TRF and I tend to agree after playing the demo a ton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattraven
Immensely dissapointed about the rugby world cup 2011 game.

Not only does it have no longevity, and is without the 1 and 2 ranked teams in the world, but the actual gameplay is looking, frankly, shockingly horrible. the game engine and mechanisms seem to be exactly the same as rugby 08, which was a extremely frustrating game in 2007 let alone in 2011 on the ps3. the alignments of players on the pitch is the same, the graphics are still ridiculous, the tackling and stupid offload system remain unchanged.

The rucking mechanism on the demo, and therefore logically the proper game, is ineffective. scrums and mauls remain the same, without the players stats having a vague impact. from what i can tell on the demo players who are very quick and/or strong are still several times more effective than players who have a good passing and handling ability, which is extremely unrealistic (again).

It seems to me deeply unfair to expect people to put money into buying rugby wc 2011 when rugby challenge, which looks to be a far better game from trailers and gameplay videos , is also available. rugby challenge involves 98 club teams, as well is international teams, and what appears to be a game engine and playing quality which is actually up to date compared to the rest of the world.

So PLEASE PLEASE check out these trailers before buying rugby world cup 2011

Rugby Challenge trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRPad...layer_embedded

Rugby Challenge gameplay video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...T2_UWCno#at=48

Rugby World Cup 2011 trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiuF8d-KjSk
Old 08-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #15
All Star

Jonesy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltman
Someone posted this over at TRF and I tend to agree after playing the demo a ton.
Totally agree with those impressions. This game is looking like a very disappointing cash grab with very little re-playability imo....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #16
L.A. to S.D. to HI

Boltman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy
Totally agree with those impressions. This game is looking like a very disappointing cash grab with very little re-playability imo....
Yea, I'm leaning very hard towards Rugby Challenge but since they are not releasing a demo I will still have to buy both. I'm really hoping the gameplay is well implemented in Rugby Challenge.

I have watched the videos but that doesn't translate to actually playing and controlling it myself.

We will see, but I remain optimistic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports »