Home

NBA 2K12 Hands-On Preview (Kotaku)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K12 Hands-On Preview (Kotaku) within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2011, 09:24 PM   #1
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30
NBA 2K12 Hands-On Preview (Kotaku)

Kotaku's Owen Good has posted his NBA 2K12 hands-on preview.

Quote:
Rebounding was long a thing that, once a player was in his rebounding animation, that ball was secure. Upgrades to the collision system means the ball is in play unless the guy really rips it down or is a totally superior rebounder. I saw it in a huge way when Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, the 6-1 guard on the 1994 Denver Nuggets, followed his miss and even beat Hakeem Olajuwon to the ball. In the past, the encounter would stop there. Here, because of The Dream's size and rebounding ability, he knocked it free and gathered it up. Second chances like these can favor the novice and keep runs from getting out of hand.

The second is a new post-up control, which does away with last year's unwieldy, dual-trigger command to get a big man to back down his defender. Now it's on triangle/Y, and one touch gets his back to the basket, or gets him to face up. In addition to making half-court basketball less complicated, it also frees up the triggers, as modifiers, for those who are comfortable exploring a new range of post moves, counter-moves, and counters to those counters. It also means players like Al Jefferson, who post up their man, then quickly face up and drive, are represented more accurately and are more useful to your offense.
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / PC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: Kotaku preview of NBA 2k12

Loving this preview, lots of good bits of info.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Damn, good read

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 08-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 33

Yeah, with every new article there is something new ... thanks !
Old 08-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42

If I combine all these previews, I get an Insight...sort of.

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 12

There are a ton of things in that preview that sound fantastic and at this point I'll take the words at face value but I wonder why there's been so much coverage on the game by written by someone who admittedly doesn't follow the series or basketball all that much.

A lot of good stuff being said as far as play control; I wonder if they'll give us a chance to do a bit of coaching in between quarters instead of having to pause to make subs or adjustments. It would definitely help keep game immersion dialed in.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #7
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

Now that is a preview! That preview alone could probably get a person that doesn't even like basketball to buy two copies of 2K12 on October 4th.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:54 PM   #8
MVP

coolcras7's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipperfan811
There are a ton of things in that preview that sound fantastic and at this point I'll take the words at face value but I wonder why there's been so much coverage on the game by written by someone who admittedly doesn't follow the series or basketball all that much.

A lot of good stuff being said as far as play control; I wonder if they'll give us a chance to do a bit of coaching in between quarters instead of having to pause to make subs or adjustments. It would definitely help keep game immersion dialed in.
Because that is how you get new business, if you can convince people that this is a game that anyone and everyone can enjoy no matter your age you taping into a whole new market, the legends thing will surely get the attention of people who have never played a basketball video game but loved basketball back in the 80's and 90's and want to ability to relive those moments virtually but felt the learning curve would be just too much.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »