Home

EA Wins Dismissal In NCAA Player Likeness Suit, Puts Dent in Sam Keller Case

This is a discussion on EA Wins Dismissal In NCAA Player Likeness Suit, Puts Dent in Sam Keller Case within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: EA Wins Dismissal In NCAA Player Likeness Suit, Puts Dent in Sam Keller Case

Does this mean they can make the minor league players in The Show look just like them down to every detail, but have different names?
Old 09-09-2011, 10:32 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: EA Wins Dismissal In NCAA Player Likeness Suit, Puts Dent in Sam Keller Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
Does this mean they can make the minor league players in The Show look just like them down to every detail, but have different names?
I hope so.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:39 PM   #11
Rookie

acreyman's Arena

OVR: 6
Figures. Again.....this would effect everything that has a players name on it including jersey sales,like "Teebow" Florida jerseys, or School calenders with thier pics on them. I am glad this is about to die out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2011, 11:52 PM   #12
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22
Good now when they make another NCAA Basketball title I'll be happy
Old 09-10-2011, 12:13 AM   #13
Prime Time

Leon Sandcastle's Arena

OVR: 13

Sam Keller can suck it!

If Keller won I think that would of been the last of NCAA Football so glad they resolved the problem
Old 09-10-2011, 08:06 AM   #14
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
While the video game fan in me is happy about this, i still gotta side with the players on this one. If it were us we'd be pissed too that schools and corporations cash in from using the likeness of players. Because think about it, if someone uses, lets say Kim Kardashian's image without her permission, she'd sue and win. But if Oregon sells LaMichael James posters with his image on it, he can't do anything about it.

Last edited by JerseySuave4; 09-10-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:07 AM   #15
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
"In the 2010 ruling, Wolfson said that the validity of EA's first amendment defense "depends upon whether the video game is considered commercial speech or an artistic work." The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in June that video games are expressive works that do indeed merit full first amendment protection.

EA lawyer Elizabeth McNamara told Reuters she thought the ruling "validates Electronic Arts' rights to create and publish its expressive works."

The ruling may have implications for similar, ongoing cases brought by Arizona State quarterback Sam Keller and former Cleveland Browns player Jim Brown. Both of those cases are currently being appealed to the federal Ninth Circuit Court. "
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2011, 09:47 AM   #16
MVP

PaperBoyx703's Arena

OVR: 22

Yawn. Moving on from this it was and will always be a win from EA(or any gaming corporation) until someone's name is used to identify them with their image which, EA will not do.

EDIT: Hopefully they can patch the roster edit restrictions in the game I.E QB #16 unable to recieve dreads unless its Face 12 and weight is set at 216, which in fact he is more like 180 slightly more or less.
YouTube: TBD

Last edited by PaperBoyx703; 09-10-2011 at 09:49 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »