Home

NHL 12 Review (360/PS3)

This is a discussion on NHL 12 Review (360/PS3) within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-14-2011, 02:02 PM   #9
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65
Nicely written review and I appreciate a reviewer finally mentioning the need and the omision of a broadcast camera in the NHL series by EAsports.

Just like Fifa I can not fault this game's gameplay...but that is not nearly enough to warrant a purchase year after year. What was n NHL 11 remains though the modes are VERY intriguing to dive into for those wanting a good game life.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #10
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Guys, just as with the Madden review, the links about the new scoring scale and review process are no joke -- we do not score games like other sites so the 8 you are thinking of is NOT what the game is scored.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #11
Pro

Retropyro's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: NHL 12 Review (360/PS3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
Guys, just as with the Madden review, the links about the new scoring scale and review process are no joke -- we do not score games like other sites so the 8 you are thinking of is NOT what the game is scored.
I don't have a problem with the score being an 8. I do have a problem with it being an 8 when NCAA 12 was an 8.5. A numerical score means an 8.5 is better than an 8. Doesn't matter what site you go to.

The game is lacking in some area's, I'd like to see more off the ice type stuff in the Be A Pro mode like NBA 2K has. But at the same time, being able to play a CHL career starting as a 15 year old before going onto the NHL is pretty cool. Imagine if NBA 2K included the ability to play a full college career before being drafted?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #12
Legal Advisor

jwilphl's Arena

OVR: 12
A game can be great, and even parts of a game can be the best version of those parts this generation (such as the gameplay in NHL '12), but that doesn't mean the game is an automatic 10/10. Let's face it, this game is far from perfect--the gameplay may be the best, but that doesn't mean other parts of the game don't hurt its overall score and appeal.

An 8.5 for NCAA '12 is extremely generous, no doubt about that, but I don't believe a lot of the bugs were relevant/known prior to publishing the review. I think reviews would better serve the public by being released perhaps a couple weeks down the road, but I definitely understand why they are released right when the game is, so it is unlikely to change.

I have no problem with any scores--let's face it, reviews are 100% subjective anyway. The reader will almost never agree entirely with the writer, if at all. I may think a game is valued around a 6, but Joe Schmoe will think it is worth an 8. Everyone has their own opinion. At the same time, I'd say those reviewing in a more visible manner, such as media personalities, probably have a greater responsibility in carefully scoring their reviews. Inevitably, developers look at scores and it probably affects what they do the following year. If you are interested in change, give the game a lower score, and perhaps you'll be more likely to see some.

Regardless, just ignore the actual number and read what the reviewer has to say--that's all that matters. If the game is good it will come through in his writing.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:43 PM   #13
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retropyro
I don't have a problem with the score being an 8. I do have a problem with it being an 8 when NCAA 12 was an 8.5. A numerical score means an 8.5 is better than an 8. Doesn't matter what site you go to.

The game is lacking in some area's, I'd like to see more off the ice type stuff in the Be A Pro mode like NBA 2K has. But at the same time, being able to play a CHL career starting as a 15 year old before going onto the NHL is pretty cool. Imagine if NBA 2K included the ability to play a full college career before being drafted?
NCAA was rated too high for the new scale for sure, that was one of the discrepancies i talked about in my blog today on the homepage. But I feel 100% confident that starting with Madden, every game will be held to the same standard -- something we've not done a great job of (and most sites don't either). However, I'll continually fight the perception that an 8 is a bad score, it's not a bad score on this site under the new scale, it's closer to what a 9 used to be.

An 8 means the game is 'Great'. I don't think we're arguing different points, NHL 12 is a great game. It's not a classic (which is what our 9.0s and above imply) and I think most would have to be fooling themselves to think that. When you boil it down, NHL simply didn't innovate and simply refined. That's fine, but the games we remember the longest in our genre are the ones which are polished, innovative, and realistic/fun. The base line for a 9.0 'classic' is great presentation AND great gameplay, and NHL 12 ONLY has the latter. I'd suggest you just read the scoring rubric and ask where does NHL fit for you in the scale. We are going to be honoring the scale going forward to the upmost degree, and while there's always a subjective nature to reviews, we'll always be trying our best to be the closest to right
Old 09-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 0
I will continue to say this. Gameplay tweaks 4 years running since a major overhaul in 08. Presentation needs work till this day. It won't be realistic on the ice until you have all 4 referees (2 linesmen/2 referees) on the ice! WTF! How long will it take to do this?! I don't care about goalies fighting! maybe 10-12 years old do!
Old 09-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #15
Rookie

How about classic teams like in NBA2K12, now that would be awesome! 80-84 Islanders, Oilers dynasty, Canadiens, etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hf199
I will continue to say this. Gameplay tweaks 4 years running since a major overhaul in 08. Presentation needs work till this day. It won't be realistic on the ice until you have all 4 referees (2 linesmen/2 referees) on the ice! WTF! How long will it take to do this?! I don't care about goalies fighting! maybe 10-12 years old do!
NHL2K10 had all refs on the ice! Maybe not the greatest game but it was authentic

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »